Question for believers: How does God set priorities?

by sir82 75 Replies latest jw friends

• cantleave
    cantleave

IMO God has nothing to do with individual success.

Success is dependant on (1) The circumstances we find ourselves in and (2) our own ability to react appropriately to those circumstances. Some people are born lucky and success is inevitable (Paris Hilton, Peaches Geldof, Prince Harry etc), they don't necessarily deserve it, it is an accident of birth. Some people are born into dire circumstances that they have no control of and will always fail (e.g. a child born into famine struck region or war zone) again an accident of birth. Others have the option to analyse the situation they are in and make decisions that will enable to make the best of it (e.g a kid from a poor neighbourhood who works on his natural athletic abilities to earn a scholarship).

They guy on the bus, who has just lost his job, has the confidence that things will be alright, not because of faith, but because he will perform well in an interview, has qualifications or some other ability that makes him marketable (it may just be his self belief). A starving kid in sub-Saharan Africa may need a helping hand from a charitable institution to help him get through the circumstances he is in. That help may enable him to to get an education and he can then work to escape the cycle of poverty. The people providing the charity have made decisions to help those less fortunate than themselves, they may do do this because they have a faith, but it is their decision not gods.

We can neither blame god if things go wrong or give credit to him if they are tickety boo.

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

Well said Cantleave!

• besty
    besty

Seems to me - again - that people claiming to speak on behalf of god are embarrassingly and atrociously pitiful in their attempts to interpret the divine plan.

Up to and including 'perhaps he is leading in us two opposite directions at once' on that thread yesterday about coincidence.

In mitigation many of these people may be doing a lot of tangible good in the community.

Less speaking on behalf of god, keep up the good works, would be my advice.

*JAHESHUAMISCHAJAH would score you 473 at Scrabble, assuming 2 Triple Word Scores and a 50 point bonus for getting rid of all 7 letters

• AGuest
    AGuest

well, dear Besty couldn't be speaking of/about/to me, so I'll just move on. And then I read:

*JAHESHUAMISCHAJAH would score you 473 at Scrabble, assuming 2 Triple Word Scores and a 50 point bonus for getting rid of all 7 letters

Since I am one of few that use that name... and one of those who responded to the question presented... I'm thinking perhaps the "you" is indeed referring to me and so perhaps I need to respond to you dear, dear Besty (and the greatest of love and peace to you!). Therefore:

Seems to me - again - that people claiming to speak on behalf of god are embarrassingly and atrociously pitiful in their attempts to interpret the divine plan.

See, now, that's why I though you could not have been alluding to me (which is why I almost skipped past your comments)... because I have NEVER claimed to speak on behalf of [G]od. Or for [G]od. There is only One that I know of who does such speaking today, His Son and Christ, my Lord, JAHESHUA MISCHAJAH (whose name you mentioned, and so here I am responding).

Up to and including 'perhaps he is leading in us two opposite directions at once' on that thread yesterday about coincidence.

Okay, not my thread, so not me. Cool.

In mitigation many of these people may be doing a lot of tangible good in the community.

Indeed, some rom both groups... "the world," and the Body of Christ... are doing a lot of good in the community. However, I didn't get that that was the question. The question, at least as far as I was able to "interpret" it, was... how does God set priorities? Oh, wait, silly me - that wasn't an interpretation - that actually was the question...

Less speaking on behalf of god, keep up the good works, would be my advice.

Again, I have never spoke on behalf of [G]od. Never. Ever. So, I am not sure you are addressing me. But just in case:

I simply answered a question, honestly and truthfully, because I perceived it was asked in all sincerity. In that light, my advice... to those who DON'T know the answer to questions such as this... or those who've been so scarred by being lied to about such things that they can't bring themselves to trust ANYONE on the matter (not that I blame you; indeed, I totally understand):

1. Don't get your chonies in a bunch when someone does know the answer and shares that answer. Rather, take a breath... then, perhaps even read/listen to the answer presented... and consider its truth... or lack thereof. Indeed, feel free to TEST it; and

2. Don't try to discourage those who are sincerely wishing and thirsting... and thus, asking... OR those who have the courage to respond (in spite of the snide, snarky, eye-rolling rebuttal(s) they know are going to come from those who speak on behalf of, well, their very own selves). Rather, if you havesomething to offer on the matter yourself ... simply do so. Otherwise, what benefit have you TRULY brought and what contribution have you TRULY made?

Bottom line: if you get it/agree with it, cool. If you don't... still cool (although I must admit that I am curious as to what YOUR knowledge and understanding of the matter... which you apparently "forgot" to include here... is).

I bid you peace, dear Besty... as well as ears to hear and even some eyesalve, if you wish them, so that perhaps you can "see" where you might need to be a bit more tolerant of those who speak to what you know or aren't totally sure about.

YOUR servant... and a slave of Christ,

SA, whom neither you nor anyone else here (save the WTBTS' lurking scribes) have reason to fear... on any level...

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

If you answered a question 'how does god set priorities' with anything other than 'he ain't there' you are speaking for god.

Sorry to be the bearer of obvious news, but your shell game has been around for a while.

EDIT - more obvious news just in - this was Besty using MY computer.....get your own.....

• garyneal
    garyneal

I can't claim to 'speak for God' or answer for Him nor am I going to try. I will say that I do not know for certain why things happen in the way that they do. But I do know this:

The Model Prayer (Matthew 6:9-13)

9"This, then, is how you should pray:
    " 'Our Father in heaven,
    hallowed be your name,
    10 your kingdom come,
    your will be done
    on earth as it is in heaven.

11 Give us today our daily bread.
    12 Forgive us our debts,
    as we also have forgiven our debtors.
    13 And lead us not into temptation,
    but deliver us from the evil one.

Note where I emphasized verse 10, especially the part concerning 'your will be done.' This is important to note for I will follow up with this:

Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. -- Matthew 7:21

Now for all of the religious people who ask Jesus why did all of the great works in Jesus's name (Matthew 7:22-23) and yet Jesus never knew them, this should be especially important to note. So who did Jesus send away into everlasting punishment (not cutting off as the WT has it written)?

Matthew 25:34-40

34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

37 "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

40 "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Apparently the people who are exploiting the least of our brethren. This would seem to describe a lot of what goes on in the third world countries. So is it as simple as this? I think so, especially when you consider the two greatest commandments.

Matthew 22:36-40

36"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" 37 Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

If everyone was looking out for one another and not allowing greed, laziness, gluttony, etc. to interfere too much, God's will will be done. But of course, perfection will not come until Christ returns but it should not stop us from looking for ways to do His will.

• besty
    besty

apologies to all - just realized this thread was for believers only - my mistake.

• garyneal
    garyneal

apologies to all - just realized this thread was for believers only - my mistake.

No need to apologize betsy, we're all entitled to our opinions and none of us know everything.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    If you answered a question 'how does god set priorities' with anything other than 'he ain't there' you are speaking for god.

Truly, there is no NEED for anyone to speak FOR the Most Holy One of Israel. He spoke on this matter Himself. That it is written is only icing on the cake - WE can know of it simply by LISTENING to the One he appointed to give it to us... WITHOUT writing it on paper in ink... but on our hearts... which is what I did. I then shared it with you because, obviously... you DON'T listen:

"And now, if you will strictly obey my voice and will indeed keep my covenant, then you will certainly become my special property out of all peoples, because the whole earth belongs to me. And you yourselves will become to me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation." Exodus 19:5, 6

"'Look! There are days coming' says JAH, 'and I will conclude with the house of Israel and the house of Judah a NEW covenant; NOT according to the covenant that I made with their forefathers in the day of my taking hold of their hand to bring them forth our of the land of Egypt, because they did not continue in my covenant, so that I stopped caring for them,' says JAH. 'For this is the covenant that I shall covenant with the house of Israel after those days,' says JAH. 'I will put my laws in their minds, and in their hearts I shall write them. And I will become THEIR GOD, and they themselves will become MY people. And they will by no means teach each one his fellow citizen and each one his brother, saying 'Know JAH!' For they will ALL know me, from the least one to the greatest one of them. For I shall be merciful to THEIR deeds, and I shall by NO means call THEIR sins to mind anymore." Jeremiah 31:31-34; Hebrews 8:8-13

"This is my Son, the beloved, whom I have approved; listen to HIM." Matthew 17:5

"My sheep know my voice." John 10:27

"...and JahEshua the mediator of a new covenant, and the blood of sprinkling, which SPEAKS in a better way than Abel's. See that you do not beg off from him who... speaks from the heavens." Hebrews 12:24, 25

"He is a Jew who is one on the INSIDE, and circumcision is that of the heart... by SPIRIT... and not by a written code. The praise of THAT one... comes, NOT from men... but from God." Romans 2:29

May you (whomever it is I am addressing, dear Besty OR dear SweetPea... or both... I can't really tell which) be granted "heart"... and ears TO hear... if you so wish it.

My peace remains.

A slave of Christ,

SA

• Lillith26
    Lillith26
    So I got to thinking - how exactly does God set priorities?......
    Why does God help one middle-aged guy who's never been hungry in his life find a new job in time so that he doesn't miss his $3000 mortgage payment, but not send a little rain to help a land where millions of people are already living in misery and filth?.....

These are some fantastic questions- and it's great that we have the oppertunity to ask them.... out of respect for the beliefs of other members of this board who I highly respect as people- I seek only to answer your first post Sir82... it is not my intention at all to discredit the validity of anyone elses responses.......

As a Deist of sorts I am 99.9% a believer in a divine creator, I call this 'creator' natures god, (i will not for the sake of space on this tread go into extreme detail as per my idea of what or whom exactly god is to me, this is of no importance to the questions at hand).

No two deist believe the exact same things, but most agree that god as you know him/her/it to be, does not interven with his/her/it's creation, the wheels were made and set into motion (so to speak), and left to run their course........

To quote a friend of mine ;

"I believe that describing God's non-interfence in his creation is just a way for some to put Deism down. Abandonment sounds negetive, as though the Deist God is indifferent or uncaring. This universe doesnt need intervention. It has everything it needs. Only a poorly-concieved or poorly-made creation would need to be constanly tinkered with to keep it functioning."- CClendenen.

So how do we reconcile our belief that God is caring if so many around us are sufferring? I have a few words as quoted from the Dali Lama to share in that regard;

"We live very close together. So, our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can not help them, at least dont hurt them."- Dali Lama

We as a species have evolved past the 'fight or flight' instincts of our primative/humble beginnings... included in our physical evolution is also our social evolution. One such evolution is the 'Ethic of Reciprocity'- the 'golden rule', the 'do unto others', 'harm none' that is the core message of most religions today.... Various religions have played a huge part in our social evolution from 'hunters and gathers' to modern homosapien sapiens..... but at some point, we as a species will hopefully evlove past our myths and folklaws of old, into an enlightened and more socially tolerant species....

I would not be a Deist of sorts if I didn't end this post with a quote from Thomas Paine, a classic quote from a movement started in the 17th century that has also evolved past the "I'm right your wronge- na nee na nee na na" stage, into a more tolerant and repectfull 'culture/life style of sorts... one day our revealed religious counterparts may too also evolve past this stage and stop clinging to false prophets and myths and folklaws, but I digress....

"The creation is the bible of the Deist. He there reads, in the handwriting of the creator himself, the certainty of his existance and the immutability of his power, and all other bibles and testaments are to him forgeries."- Thomas Paine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit