Question for believers: How does God set priorities?

by sir82 75 Replies latest jw friends

• besty
    besty

Note to OP - sorry for being a pain in the ass on this thread - first of all I didn't see it was for believers only, then I struggled with believers in which definition of god(s). Please try to be more specific in future ;-)

• hotchocolate
    hotchocolate

LMAO. Rain falls on the righteous and the unrighteous. Talk about stating the bleeding obvious.

Well it p*ssed down here today so I know I'm in at least one of those categories. Hmmm. I think unrighteous sounds a whole lot more fun.

• AGuest
    AGuest

May you have peace!

Oh you made your point way upfront and early alright - come to Jesus - in an irreligious, disorganized way of course - or be doomed to suffer or benefit based on the local weather...

Irreligious, yes. Disorganized... hmmmm... I can't agree. Organized by MEN? No. Organized by God... through Christ? Absolutely! He is VERY organized, yet merciful. So, why in the WORLD would I want/need some human (who can't even save HIS own life) tell me how to worship God... a SPIRIT... and when... and where? No, I think I'll stick to letting a SPIRIT... indeed, the HOLY Spirit... tell me how to worship God, who is a SPIRIT... IN spirit... and TRUTH.

Your god sets priorities based on whether you believe in him, or not.

Not quite. I mean, not necessarily based on just whether you believe in Him or not. The demons believe... so what? In truth, He cares for everyone, BUT... yes, He does base His priority for that care on those who exercise FAITH in Him and His Son. You know, like most fathers: He cares for His own household FIRST... which he is OBLIGATED to do... but does not neglect others. It is THEIR gods... their god, Satan... and his governments... that neglect them. Yet, the MOST Holy One of Israel, however, steps in for these too, even those who blaspheme Him. You know, like a GOOD neighbor...

That certainly explains why its mainly non-WASP's who are starving to death etc.

Mainly non-WASPs are starving... because of their corrupt and greedy governments, most of which they... WASPs... and non-WASPs... put into place. All of these choose MEN as their leaders and caretakers.... instead of Christ, the One whom GOD appointed to lead. And some men are more corrupt and greedy than others... (BTW, I'm neither White, Anglo, Saxon, or Protestant...)

Although that begs the question why god ain't making it rain over there to grow some damn crops, even although these folks are clearly un-righteous and should therefore qualify for some precipitation.

I assume that, by "over there," you are referring to the continent of Africa. Well, excluding the barren Sahara desert ... it does in fact "rain over there." Indeed, during the "season" for it... it actually rains to the point of flooding (you can actually see evidence of this - you only need to watch the Discovery or National Geographic Channels). And that is the case in other places in the world as well. Yet, although there are similar deserts in the U.S. and Middle East... folks in these places are not starving (or, at least, don't have to). People in Death Valley need only jump in the car and drive to some relief... or buy an air conditioner (which requires electicity). So, what's the problem? Ignorance, superstition, exploitation, and greed. All by earthling man... and not God.

African is a big continent; indeed, the second largest on the planet. And it is also one of the lushest... has many rivers/waterways, including the longest river on the planet... AND has more "natural" resources than any other continent on the planet. And yet, many of its people starve. Why is this? Because God doesn't bring rain? Or because the people either don't know how... don't believe in... or aren't allowed... to tap into the NATURAL resources... which are, by land rights, theirs... so as to be able to BRING water to their crops? The land has been raped and raized of gold, silver, copper, precious stones... and lately, oil (you are aware of the heinous crimes committed by Shell Oil in order to TAKE the oil-producing land away from the native people, yes? If not, you might want to read up on that). Virtually EVERY European government has had its fill... and some haven't even begun to finish.

And... it is only the "black" people who are starving. You know, those of sub-Sahara Africa. Egypt isn't starving. Libya isn't starving. Morocco isn't starving (and I've always wondered why, when folks refer to "Africa" they exclude these. "Oh, he's Egyptian." Ummmm... Egypt is IN Africa...). Somalia and the Sudan (Darfur) wouldn't be starving either if it weren't for the corrupt governments that rule them... instituting religious and tribal wars that result in refugee status, death, and disease for MILLIONS. You thing GOD is behind that??? You speak without knowing.

The POVERTY on that continent has nothing to do with God - it has to the with the superstition, ignorance, and exploitation of the native people. It has to do with religious extremity, racial bigotry, government corruption, and... hold on to your hat... Western greed. Period. There is absolutely NO reason why the people of that continent should starve... or be riddled with CURABLE diseases. They ARE, however, because (1) they can't afford to BUY what they need, whether it be water (or means to get it to their lands)... food... or medicine (indeed, the very CURE for malaria... DDT... which is ABSOLUTELY EFFECTIVE... is UNAVAILABLE... because the WESTERN world (i.e., "good people of the good ol' U.S.") don't want them to have/use it. WE don't want THEM to cure a disease that is causing their CHILDREN to die. Yet, we smoke, drink, do drugs, pop pills... you name it), and (2) their corrupt governments and greedy Westerners WON'T LET THEM.

Were they to have just 10% of the RICHES that have been stolen, extorted, and hijacked from that continent... they could have solved their sustenance and most of their medical problems decades ago. And where did such medical problems come from? Europe! Brought by those who came only to steal and plunder... not only the land... but the PEOPLE! But even if they had access to such riches, their superstitions would stand in the way.

Let me ask YOU... and you tell ME: why is it that YOU think the U.S. Government "gave" the Native Americans the particular reservation lands they did... where NOTHING grows? Ever been to a reservation? One in, say, New Mexico? "We're" so benevolent - why weren't they given the BEST lands, with the government taking what was left over from THAT? Yeah, right...

You are an Eliphaz, a man who blames God for the ills brought upon earthling man... rather than acknowledging that it is the god of this system of things, Satan, man's adversary... as well as man himself... who dominates his fellow man... to his own injury... who is responsible. Look... in... the... mirror: there is NO reason for ANY of mankind to be hungry. ANYWHERE. Or for many who are sick to BE sick. It is OUR doing... not God's. We have food... but we must SELL it... at a profit. We have medicine... but we must SELL it... at a profit. We will even go to lengths to DESTROY food... and reduce/cease manufacturing medicine... it if looks like no profit can be made. We will withhold BOTH... to the detriment of our fellow man... in order to ensure "market investors" and good return. And you blame God. Of course, YOU would. So that you don't have to look at YOUR part in any of this.

Anyways, thanks for the heads-up on how you think.

You are QUITE welcome. Hopefully, here's a little more for YOU to discern.

And I bid you peace.

A slave of Christ,

SA

• snowbird
    snowbird

Uhhhhh Huhhhhh.

Amen!

Sylvia

• Inkie
    Inkie

Dayyum! (To steal another's word usage.)

You said IT!!!! No "if's", "ands", or "but's" about it! You cut to the quick, AGuest! Hurrah! for you! Jah be praised.

--Inkie

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

We can use God as an excuse for many horrid things that are happening and have happened, and we wouldn't be the first or be the last either.

That doesn't change the fact that WE are responsible for it.

• sir82
    sir82

Wow this thread really exploded! Thanks for all the replies.

However, it seems to have been sidetracked a bit. My original post really wasn't dealing with the "problem of evil", or whose fault it is that there are serious problems in the world (although those are of course excellent topics for discussion).

Once again, repeating my question, phrased differently for (hopefully) clarity:

For those who believe that God does step into man's affairs to (at least somewhat) mitigate evil, how does he decide which arena to step into?

I.e., I imagine God in heaven, looking down at the earth, and seeing:

1) A middle aged man in a wealthy western land about to lose his job, praying for help;

2) A football player praying for God's help prior to a big game;

3) 4 million people starving to death, crying out to God for a moment's relief from that awful pain in their gut that's been there for years.

If God does indeed intervene, why does he seem to (often) help out in situations (1) and (2) but (almost) never 3?

If the answer is "I don't know", why ask for his help at all? If you don't know why God helps some and not others, on what basis do you ask for his help? Is it just a matter of thinking "it can't hurt" and hoping for the best?

I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around that, is all.

• inbetween
    inbetween

good question, I think, maybe God does not intervene at all, (I do not believe these stories, how he helped especially JW being save while in the kingdom hall, while earthquake etc)

however, he sends his spirit to endure things, and will fix anything bad in the future/afterlife/paradise whatever...

I also always wondered, when there are experiences, where someboidy prayed to God for the truth, and he listened by sending JW there..ok, on the other hand, we say, that anybody, who does not pray to Jehovah in the right way will not be listened to...so, was this person a JW before ? hardly, so he must just have prayed to the wrong God (according to WTS) and still he listened....kind of contradicts itself..

• snowbird
    snowbird
    If the answer is "I don't know", why ask for his help at all?

I ask for wisdom, discernment, understanding, peace, etc. in dealing with life. I also ask for the humility to accept the things I don't understand.

If you don't know why God helps some and not others, on what basis do you ask for his help?

On the basis of faith that He hears and will answer - though it may not be to my liking.

Is it just a matter of thinking "it can't hurt" and hoping for the best?

No, it's the comfort of knowing that in whatever situation that arises, He has my back.

Sylvia

• AGuest
    AGuest

Sigh. I'm sorry. Sometimes I do get a little "worked up." Especially when it comes to folks blaming God for man's deficiencies, in which case I may even let myself go so far as to exhibit a little, well, "righteous indignation." But I mean no disrespect to anyone, truly. I just hate it when the wrong person gets blamed... whether God OR human. You know, like on some of those sillier TV sitcoms... were WE know what "happened," but the dang people in the show don't have a clue. I know, it's part of the show, but I HATE that! ("HE didn't do it; SHE did. All you gotta do is ASK. Somebody, speak up! TELL them!" And no one opens their mouth... until some major fiasco occurs, someone gets in trouble, etc. All sorts of stuff that could've been avoided if SOMEONE just spoke the heck up). Amazing, isn't it... how life imitates art... and not the other way around?

Anyway... sorry if I sounded... well, "harsh" - that was not my intent. I was just a bit passionate is all.

I bid everyone peace... truly.

A slave of Christ,

SA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit