ARE YOU READY FOR THE FINISH LINE? GB Talk

by Girlie 79 Replies latest watchtower bible

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

When my mom was baptised in 1975 (ironically) I never thought I would make it to high school, plus we were afraid my non-JW dad would be nuked at Armageddon.

When my dad later got baptised, we still thought that I would never finish high school and then we worried about my sweet old non-JW granny from getting nuked at Armageddon.

When I was IN high school, I never gave my education the attention it deserved because we never thought I would finish high school and I was afraid that since granny died of cancer, that she might not get resurrected AFTER Armageddon.

The beat goes ON and ON and ON..............

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I suppose the markers all tell us that the finish is 100 meters away. It has been like this for 135 years--you are supposed to run each meter like it is the last 100 meters.

In the real race, the rules are clear cut (you are not likely to be penalized for cutting a lane if you are in a distance race). You will be penalized if you are doped up, deliberately interfere with other racers (such as tripping them), cutting across the course, or you have unauthorized assistance (like a motor scooter). And, you are going to know accurately where the finish line is before starting the race.

Suppose you are doing a long distance run along US Route 1 (and nearby). The start is in Kittery, Maine with the finish in Eastport. If you see signs directing you to Wells, Saco, or Portland, you are likely way back in the race with a long distance to go. But if you see signs leading to Belfast, Ellsworth, Cherryfield, or Machias, you are getting closer and closer to the finish. And, if you start seeing signs toward Augusta, you are off course. But, you will not see the sign that says you are in East Machias only to have yet another 100 or more miles to run.

This is not the case with the witlesses. There is no progression--that is always in the past. They are always telling you that you are in East Machias and need to push the last few miles to Eastport. The real truth is, you are actually running in circles. Maybe they took down all the signs telling the witlesses that they are in Massachusetts or Connecticut (way off course) so they can keep them running the wrong direction.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

"Thanks, Jonesie!

I owe you a couple! "

Cool, made mine a ginger ale or a root beer. Beer make me gag.

• Girlie
    Girlie

For John Doe: Thanks for pointing that out.

• Girlie
    Girlie

Thanks for those who pointed out that this was an old talk.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Likening life to a race is stupid. What the hell is the rush? Glad that i am off the race track, well actually the gerbil wheel, cuz no matter how fast you run on the jw treadmill, you are still in the same place.

S

• designs
    designs

Most people look for a religion that is a nice social community and you go away from a service feeling upbeat and with a few good ideas to impliment. Hell fire and Brimestone sermons don't cut it anymore and the same goes for the Society with there- 'You're not doing enough' sermons.

Its exhausting, who needs it. Probably one of the biggest factors in the attrition rate.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I began to "study the bible" with JWs in 1969 and this is the stuff I was being fed as "spiritual food" back then.....

"as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers. If you are in highschool and thinking about a college education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the way toward its finish, if not actually gone!" Awake! 1969 May 22 p.15
    ------

"In view of the SHORT TIME LEFT, a decision to PURSUE a CAREER in this system of things is not only UNWISE but EXTREMELY DANGEROUS .. Many young brothers and sisters were offered scholarship or employment that promised fine pay. However, they turned them down and put spiritual interests first." {KMIN Jun 1969 3}

If the jws were NOT PREDICTING THE END in 1975,WHY was it unwise and extremely dangerous to pursue a career SO VERY MANY YEARS AGO?

Here we are in the last months of 2009 and still the demented men who pretend to be the "esteemed spiritual leaders" of a supposed 7 million blind sheep.....are still up to their old tricks. I wonder how many of them are actually heeding their own advice in not having new cars, fancy surroundings (Patterson) and the very best of dental and health care rained down upon them while pouring out all thier advice to their followers?

UGH.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Perhaps if I used the S.A.L.T telescope I may see that "finish line".

• isaacaustin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit