Are we following men?

by jookbeard 80 Replies latest jw friends

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    do you really believe that anyone reads your Freddy-like answers?

I did. And that spared me a post because I was about to make some of her points in less colourful style... :)

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

AK-Jeff..

Aguest/Shelby and I have been friends for a long time..

The last thing Shelby is..Is Arrogant..

Do people read her posts?..Yes they do..

I am one of those people,who read what Shelby has to say..

Although I`m not a Christian..

I find her words refreshing..

Unlike the self indulgent,narrow minded,Bible thumpers we sometimes get here..

Take time to read Shelbys posts..

And..

You will find many Pears of Wisdom..

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Personally, I think that Aquest's post answered all the points that PJ had and then some.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

You will find many Pears of Wisdom..

Wasn't that the forbidden fruit? ;)

• yknot
    yknot

PJ

I am NOT suggesting Jah's doesn't.......

What I did suggest in response to your initial question was suggest a historical research project based not only on the books you own by Russell but exapanded to include ZWT's, debate transcripts, a few orations too and onward through each presidential period until present day GB politics. Such an examination should not be looked down upon as fruitless either because certainly it would only add to your appreciation and strengthen your resolve.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    Wasn't that the forbidden fruit? ;)

• yknot
    yknot

PJ

On another note......just because of your history within the Organization (63 years strong!).....

Two questions that are just based on pure curiosity (and if anyone else reading of the same era care's to share their experience please do).

1) What was it like celebrating birthdays (banned Oct 1,1951)

2) Do you remember getting all those shots when vaccinations became MOC (Dec 15, 1952)

I loved hearing stories from the past when I was growing up !

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Yknot,

Birthdays banned in 1951 ? surely you are wrong ( And no I am not calling you Shirley) !

Jesus came to earth in 1914, he spent 5 years choosing the WT as THE ONLY true religion, which he choose in 1919 when the JW's STILL celebrated Christmas, Bdays, Holidays AND worshipped Jesus and used the cross as a SYMBOL !!!!!

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

I wonder why the org was not only freed from babylonish captivity in 1919 when they were still practicing the things that got them sent away in the first place, but on top of that- appointed head of Jesus earthly beongings??? Please xplain the logic to me.

• yknot
    yknot

PSacramento

Birthday Banning was I think the last idea of Clayton Woodworth shortly before his death......

Here is the excerpt from the CD

w51 10/1 p.607 Questions From Readers

Is it proper to have or attend celebrations of birthday anniversaries?—F.K.,

Nevada.

Such celebrations have their roots in pagan religions, and not Scriptural grounds. Some Bible commentators suggest that birthday celebrations may have had their origin in the “notion of the immortality of the soul”. Astrologers and stargazers laid great stress on offering sacrifices to the gods each year when the stars and planets were in the same position as when one was born. In Egyptian mythology the “birthdays of the gods” were celebrated on certain days, and in Chinese mythology individuals offered special sacrifices on their birthdays to Shou Hsing, the god of longevity. The ancient Anglo-Saxons celebrated the birthday of the “Lord Moon”, spoken of as meni at Isaiah 65:11 (margin), by making cakes “called Nur-Cakes, or Birthcakes”; and candles also are of pagan origin.—See Hislop’s TwoBabylons, pages 95, 191-196.

After telling us that December 25 was the traditional birthday of Nimrod, and not of Jesus, the new book WhatHasReligionDoneforMankind? states: “The inspired Scriptures do not give the birth date of Jesus, and it does not matter, for neither Jesus nor God his Father nor the inspired apostles instructed us to celebrate Jesus’ birthday. The only birthday celebrations that the Holy Scriptures mention are those of pagans, those of Egypt’s Pharaoh and of Herod Antipas who marked his birthday by having John the Baptist’s head chopped off. (Gen. 40:20; Matt. 14:6; Mark 6:21) Christ’s disciples of the first century shunned birthday celebrations as being pagan, unchristian!”

Doubtless many things practiced by Christians today were also practiced by pagans; but when these practices are steeped in false worship contrary to Bible principle they become objectionable. The celebration of birthday anniversaries centers the mind on the creature and exalts the creature, giving him and his birth undue importance. Romans 1:25 (NW) warns of those who “venerated and rendered sacred service to the creation rather than the One who created”. Birthday celebrations could tend to take on this objectionable quality. If Christians wish to come together occasionally for profitable fellowship and relaxation, they do not have to await a day reminiscent of pagan religion. If they wish to present a brother with a gift, they do not have to await the anniversary of the day of his entry into the world, as though that were such a memorable occasion. If the precise day of Jesus’ birth and its remembrance were of no such noteworthiness, whose are?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit