Watchtower Sends Legal Notice To Website Regarding Coyright Infringement

by Bangalore 94 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

The Watchtower has sent a legal notice to the owners of the EDS blog for posting copyrighted material without permission. Here is the link to the trancript. The site owners response is also there.

http://examiningthescripturesdaily.blogspot.com/

Bangalore

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I have been watching a JW board and I think the Watchtower is really going to be more aggressive in this area.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

well if all else fail, sue. What a great religion this has become. I remember reading all those accounts in the NT about sueing your enemies

• jabberwock
    jabberwock

I don't think this particular use would be considered fair use.

From what I have seen, the websites that have been challenged by the WTBTS on copyright issues contain all, or nearly all, of Watchtower publications and add very little or no commentary. It seems that these would be hard to defend on fair use grounds.

Still, I can't understand why Examining the Scriptures Daily is not available through the watchtower.org website.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

There were other sites shut down not because of the fair use issue, but because defending a case like that would cost tens of thousands. Nice to see our donations at work.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

I think Pete Mossier was sued for $100000 (Canadian). But he could not afford high priced lawyers so he had no choice but to shut down his quotes site.

Bangalore

• nelly136
    nelly136

if its just a copyright issue with the borg, couldnt they just continue doing the daily text using the same scriptures but another bible and put a disclaimer that its down to borg copyright rules.

is it really a real dub site? seems a bit weird that theyve gone on to post links to silent lambs etc, wouldnt a bonafide jw site just recognise the 'error of their ways?' without posting about silentlambs and abuse issues?

• Ténébreux
    Ténébreux

But... but... how can they have intellectual property ownership of information that comes from God? I'm confused.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Something does not add up here. An organization that purports to have a goal of getting the word out to all the inhabited nations attempts to block someone who is doing exactly that. Mighty fishy.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

That is an great point, Ténébreux. I have to remember that. If God instructed them to spead a message, who are they to claim that message as their own and stop someone else from spreading it?

- Lime

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit