Please nominate your favourite film and say why you rate it so highly.

by lifelong humanist 92 Replies latest jw friends

• allelsefails
    allelsefails

Cool Hand Luke - nothing better - Great Escape, Bridge Over the River Kwai - unreal level of acting and story telling. BTW - Tombstone was OK but not 1/2 as good as Unforgiven in the western category. IMHO.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Harold and Maude. My favorite cult movie. Saw it upon its original, limited release at the Art Theater in Buckhead, GA. I was 13. Then I got to see it every night for a week at the 75 cents theater on Brynmawr @ Winthrop in North Chicago, in 1977 or 78.

• Decided
    Decided

"Ground Hog Day" and "Big Country" . Can't remember many of the movies I've seen from the 40's. My dad was a projectionist untill I was 18 and I saw all the movies back then free. I remember Bob Hope and Bing Crosby in a lot of old movies. Red Rider and Little Beaver, Roy Rodgers, The Lone Ranger were in the Friday night western movies. So many old memories.

Ken P.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Pulp Fiction. QT at his best. A superb perspective of the darker side of life, packaged in a cinematic landscape which tantalises every emotion from humour to repulsion.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

"Malena" with Monica Bellucci.

It shows how sometimes, the choices people make aren't choices at all, but situations thrust upon you that you just have to do the best you can.

And we can't judge each other for what we do in those times. You just don't know each person's full circumstances.

Malena is my hero.

• shamus100
    shamus100

I just watched Motorcycle Diaries. Wonderful foreign film, and highly recommended.

Sorry, I would never put movies to a top 10 or whatever. Thuroughly impossible, but one that really stands out and stood the test of time is the vietnam classic Apocolypse Now. A bit dated, but for its time, WOW!

• Trevor Scott
    Trevor Scott

Tombstone is incredible. Definitely in my top five. I've never seen much love for it so I'm happy to find some other fans. I saw it twice in the theatre. Own it on VHS and DVD, and as soon as I find it, on BluRay. :)

Memorable quotes:

Wyatt Earp: So run, you cur... RUN! Tell all the other curs the law's comin'! You tell 'em I'M coming... and hell's coming with me, you hear?... Hell's coming with me!

--

Doc Holliday: Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

--

Doc Holliday: I beg to differ, sir. We started a game we never got to finish. "Play for Blood," remember?

Johnny Ringo: Oh that. I was just foolin'.

Doc Holliday: I wasn't.

--

Billy Clanton: Why, it's the drunk piano player. You're so drunk, you can't hit nothin'. In fact, you're probably seeing double. [draws a knife]

Doc Holliday: [takes out a second gun] I have two guns, one for each of ya.

:)

Also loved Fight Club.

Haven't been mentioned yet so I will add The Matrix and Gladiator.

• Hopscotch
    Hopscotch

I just want to add another 2 oldies to the list

Roman Holiday

To Kill a Mockingbird

Hopscotch

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

One of my other favourites - The Long Kiss Goodnight (Geena Davis, Samuel Jackson)

Some great one-liners in there.

Little girl: "Mommy, are we going to die?"

Mommy: "No, baby" (Kisses top of girl's head) "They are." (Lights the match.)

• Trevor Scott
    Trevor Scott

I also want to add

Dark City

and

12 Monkeys (Bruce Willis)

If you haven't seen them, check them out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit