Please nominate your favourite film and say why you rate it so highly.

by lifelong humanist 92 Replies latest jw friends

• shamus100
    shamus100

Shamus, it wasn't that bad.

FHN, oh pahlease. It was horrible! But hey, you'd probably really hate the movies I watch. Pretty much exclusively foreign. Hollywood sucks big time.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Classic lines from Tombstone...

Doc Holliday: There is no normal life, Wyatt, there's just life, ya live it.

Doc Holliday: I'm your huckleberry...

Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung.

Doc Holliday: [after killing Johnny Ringo] It would appear that the strain was more than he could bear.

Could movie dialog get any better! Love it!!

• Farkel
    Farkel

I had forgotten all about To Sir With Love. That was a great movie, and young folks today would probably think it was hokey when compared with, say "Lean On Me."

I've watched The Illusionist about 12 million times. Wonderful story, acting, scenery and the cinematography is in a class of its own.

I almost didn't watch Legally Blonde, since I thought it would be a ditzy T&A movie, but was pleasantly surprised instead. It is well-written and acted and rather delightful!

Here are several other great and timeless movies to consider:

Cassablanca

Rear Window

North by Northwest

Vertigo

The Quiet Man

Twleve Angry Men

Farkel, Codger Class

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

"Life is Beautiful"

This movie shows how far one person will go for their child. The hero of the story loved and enjoyed life so much that he wanted to share that love and enjoyment even under the nightmarish conditions of a concentration camp. I think that quality resides in each one of us and often it is in the difficult times that it shines.

LD

• beksbks
    beksbks

Is it possible to actually nominate a favorite?

Angels with Dirty Faces. I have no idea why, it's just been my favorite since I was about 11, that would be 1970, I loved those old movies.

Shawshank, Tombstone, The Big Sleep, Sorry Wrong Number, Good Fellas, Oh Brother Where Art Thou, Pulp Fiction, And Then There Were None, Ferris Buellers Day Off, The Breakfast Club, Swept Away (Original), Jean De Florette, The Ghost and Mrs Muir, Dead End.......................no, it's not possible.

Legally Blonde? Cute movie with a horrible message.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

~~Sling Blade~~, superbly cast, humbling, raw, Still Can't believe that was Billy Bob Thornton. Story takes place in Arkansas, there are still towns like that.

~~Out of Africa~~ The movie taught me this "We're not owners here. We're just passing through."

~~Babbettes Feast~~"An artist is never poor". A danish film ..... just rent it!!!

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

Without a doubt... Shawshank Redemption

Then Green Mile

Both great acting and great story.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I have a hundred favourite movies. Today I'm picking American Beauty and Fight Club, because of how startling they both were.

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

How is it possible to have a favorite movie? Top 10 (or 50) possibly, but wouldn't it constantly change?

Six said: "...and I'm glad Nath reminded me to put Virgin Suicides on my list to see; I remember hearing how good it was when it came out, but I never got around to seeing it."

Lux Lisbon is the best character name ever. I adopted it for the name of my imaginary friend.

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

"I have a hundred favourite movies. Today I'm picking American Beauty and Fight Club, because of how startling they both were."

Well, now those would both be in my top 20. I had my first and only panic attack after seeing "Fight Club." I attribute it to the subliminal messages ;-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit