Please nominate your favourite film and say why you rate it so highly.

by lifelong humanist 92 Replies latest jw friends

• lifelong humanist
    lifelong humanist

I've just watched all 3 parts of Francis Ford Coppola's epic Godfather once again. It is a superb achievement on many levels. Each viewing reveals something new and fresh.

I recall, as a good JW at the time, not seeing it when released as it was not certified as 'suitable' given the content for JWs. I was scared to even contemplate sneaking in to the cinema, so I missed out on a memorable cinematographic experience at the time it was released.

Being free from the mind-control now, I bought the set of DVD's and have been quite entranced...such passion, drama, tension, love for family, tradition, pathos, geographical scenes portrayed...this film scores highly in its sheer quality. It is a masterpiece!

What is your favourite film, and why? (Please do not even dare mention the Photo Drama of Creation!)

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

The Shawshank Redemption is one of my all time favourites. I can watch that movie every few months and enjoy it even more that the last time. The story, the acting, the direction are all top notch.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

For me it is a tough call, but if I had to say one it would be Apocalypse Now. Its complexity, social commentary, acting and directing were amazing...and it was a real groundbreaker in its time.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

" The BluesBrothers" of course !

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Shawshank Redemption because...

Can't think how to say it now lol!

Because... basically it reminds me of man's ability to rise above the injustices and crap that life throws, not to be dragged down by circumstances. And also that even people we see as bad are still basically human.

• watson
    watson

"The Ten Commandments." Because he says "Jehovah" a couple of times in it.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

The Ghost and The Darkness.

This is the story of a pair of rogue lions which turn man-eater and disrupt the building of the Uganda-Mombasa Railway in 1896-98 ultimately killing 135 men before being hunted down. The story is documented as truth. According to the record, the first lion was shot on Dec 9, 1898 and measured nine feet, eight inches from nose to tail!

Although a bit sensationalized for effect, the movie did a great job of scaring the living pee out of me. Big cats already kind of scare me, and the director did a wonderful job maintaining the tension throughout the film.

More information on this historical spine tingler can be found here.

http://www.fieldmuseum.org/exhibits/exhibit_sites/tsavo/default.htm

J

• Farkel
    Farkel

The Godfather.

"You're not a real man if you haven't seen The Godfather at least 50 times." - Dave Berry

Farkel

• shamus100
    shamus100

Legally Blonde.

Wonderful, wonderful movie. Really, really really.... wonderful!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

To Sir With Love

The story and message.

The actors.

The music.

The testimony to mod times in London and everywhere.

The comparison to today, how comparatively innocent even hoodlums were during the later 1960's.

The movie has a good ending that makes me feel good.

I recall how my mother and her neighbor Hannas went to see the movie. We kids were not allowed to go because it was an "adult" movie.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit