Please nominate your favourite film and say why you rate it so highly.

by lifelong humanist 92 Replies latest jw friends

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I agree that Sofia is a force of nature now... But in that movie, she sucked!

My favorite Sofia movie is Lost in Translation.

One of my favorite scenes in Tombstone is when Wyatt Earp (Russell) bitch slapped Billy Bob Thortons character. "Well, are you gonna draw, or are you just gonna stand there and bleed?"

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Sofia was cute in Peggy Sue Got Married.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I especially love John Hughes' teen movies of the 80's. After he died, I got to see 16 Candles on the big screen. At the time the movies were popular, I was a JW and couldn't see the R rated movies.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    My favorite Sofia movie is Lost in Translation.

...and I'm glad Nath reminded me to put Virgin Suicides on my list to see; I remember hearing how good it was when it came out, but I never got around to seeing it.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

This is Spinal Tap.

• Hopscotch
    Hopscotch

The original Thomas Crown Affair with Steve McQueen has been a favorite of mine since I was a young teenager. The ultimate in cool.

I also love:

The Shawshank Redemption - Brilliant movie

The Godfather 1 & 2

I also really loved The Illusionist

And for comedy:

Hopscotch (Walter Matthau & Glenda Jackson) - very clever and very funny

Oscar (Sylvester Stallone) - the one liners were brilliant

It's so hard to pick just one.

Hopscotch

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Shawshank and The Green Mile are both excellent movies.

Speaking of Steve MCQueen. I liked the Reevers. I'm not sure how it's spelled.

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

3.# The Green Mile- with Tom Hanks,

2.# The Color Purple- with Woopie Goldburg and Oprah.

1.#The Power of One- my personal favorite, with Morgan Freeman.

4.#The Hicthikers Guide to the Galaxy- the movie, but I like the series too!

5.#The Life of Brian- by Monty Python!!! actually anything done by these guys is GREAT!.

6.#Red Dwarf- not a movie but a UK classic tv series they should make a movie out of!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Favorite animated film based on an adult novel: Watership Down. The version that showed in 1979.

• jonathanconway
    jonathanconway

Without a single doubt, 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I'm a complete atheist, but that movie is the most moving, religious experience of my life. (Absolutely beats to death the mindless hours of droning at the "kingdom hall").

I was lucky to see it when I was 12, and I saw it several other times in my life, and now at 22, I still have yet to see any movie that can communicate so much content with mainly images and very little dialog.

Movies I had to keep secret from my JW parents -- Taxi Driver, Pulp Fiction, A Clockwork Orange, The Matrix (yes, my parents didn't approve of that either).

And the first Godfather is also a shining classic worth a million re-viewings!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit