Words JW's use NOT found in the Bible

by homeschool 55 Replies latest watchtower bible

• homeschool
    homeschool

So the word "Trinity" is not used in the bible...one of the many jw reasons to not believe in the trinity. What are some words that Jehovah's Witnesses use that are also not in the Bible?

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Jehovah

• angel eyes
    angel eyes

Reasoning from the scriptures book says that...Page 405 under what is the origin of the Trinity doctrine? The society havent tried to deceive us,they have clearly printed it in this publication. Gnite all......going to hit the sack shortly.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"Governing Body"

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Kingdom hall

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Organization

New light

disfellowshipped

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Jehovah`s Witness

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

• field service
    • return visit
    • report card

The main ones are as mentioned above

• Governing Body
    • Organization
    • disfellowship

Concepts banned such as

• blood transfusions

Slightly on a tangent here - words used in the Bible, not forbidden in the Bible but forbidden for JWs

• birthdays
    • gambling
  • homeschool
    homeschool

Angel, I think you are a sweet girl, so I don't want to be rude to you.

I have been doing lots of research recently...most of it just goes over my head. But I decided to ask a few friends how they were raised to believe in the trinity, and even emailed a Methodist pastor. Now, when i was still a jw, and I were to see "DEFINITION", as the Reasoning book starts off doing,I would take it to mean "Truth according to the JW's, therefore truth to me". Despite that it says their definition is according to the Athanasian Creed, it leads you to believe that all religions except jw's believe this way, no? the JW's "definition" doesn't at all include what, in fact, MOST Christian relgions truly believe. I'm realizing that, in fact, MOST Christian faiths do believe in the trinity, but not the way the Reasoning Book describes. They believe God is the Almighty, Jesus is God the Almighty's Son, and the Holy Spirit are 3 distinct beings, but they they form "one", like "oneness".

http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com/trinity.shtml This is where I got one of my references from

http://www.carm.org/christianity/christian-doctrine/what-trinity Here is another.

The first couple paragraphs of the Reasoning Book, pg 405 state:

Definition:

Trinity

Definition: The central doctrine of religions of Christendom. According to the Athanasian Creed, there are three divine Persons (the Father, the Son, the Holy Ghost), each said to be eternal, each said to be almighty, none greater or less than another, each said to be God, and yet together being but one God. Other statements of the dogma emphasize that these three “Persons” are not separate and distinct individuals but are three modes in which the divine essence exists. Thus some Trinitarians emphasize their belief that Jesus Christ is God, or that Jesus and the Holy Ghost are Jehovah. NotaBibleteaching.

What

istheoriginoftheTrinity

The

NewEncyclopædiaBritannica says: “Neither the word Trinity, nor the explicit doctrine as such, appears in the New Testament, nor did Jesus and his followers intend to contradict the Shema in the Old Testament: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord’ (Deut. 6:4). . . . The doctrine developed gradually over several centuries and through many controversies. . . . By the end of the 4th century . . . the doctrine of the Trinity took substantially the form it has maintained ever since.”—(1976), Micropædia, Vol. X, p. 126.

doctrine?

I was just checking out jwfacts.com and saw this :

Sources Misquoted

When quoting, the meaning of the original quote should be apparent, even when using ellipses (…). A classic source of misquotes is the Watchtower publication Should You Believe in the Trinity? (ti), using ellipses to hide words like "but", "however", "therefore" to present a completely different point from that being made by the source. Furthermore, provision of only partial references to the source of quotes make it difficult and time consuming to locate the original quote. Examples of misquotes follow.

Source of quoteTrinity BrochureFull Quote
    Encyclopaedia of Religion and Ethic, James Hastings, Trinity, p.461"At first the Christian faith was not Trinitarian . . . It was not so in the apostolic and sub-apostolic ages, as reflected in the N[ew] T[estament] and other early Christian writings."-Encyclopædia of Religion and Ethics. (ti pp. 6-7)"At first the Christian faith was not Trinitarian in the strictly ontological reference."
    The Triune God, Edward Fortman"Jesuit Fortman states: "The New Testament writers . . . give us no formal or formulated doctrine of the Trinity, no explicit teaching that in one God there are three co-equal divine persons. . . . Nowhere do we find any trinitarian doctrine of three distinct subjects of divine life and activity in the same Godhead."" (ti p.6)"They give us no formal or formulated doctrine of the Trinity, no explicit teaching that in one God there are three co-equal divine persons. But they do give us an elemental trinitarianism, the data from which such a formal doctrine of the Triune God may be formulated."
    The Encyclopedia Americana"The Encyclopedia Americana notes that the doctrine of the Trinity is considered to be 'beyond the grasp of human reason." (ti p.4)"It is held that although the doctrine is beyond the grasp of human reason, it is, like many of the formulations of physical science, not contrary to reason, and may be apprehended (though it may not be comprehended) by the human mind".
    The Catholic Encyclopedia (newadvent.org /cathen/ 15047a.htm 21/12/2006)"The Catholic Encyclopedia also comments: "In Scripture there is as yet no single term by which the Three Divine Persons are denoted together. The word ????? [tri´as] (of which the Latin trinitas is a translation) is first found in Theophilus of Antioch about A. D. 180. . . . Shortly afterwards it appears in its Latin form of trinitas in Tertullian."" (ti p.5)"The word [tri'as] (of which the Latin trinitas is a translation) is first found in Theophilus of Antioch about A. D. 180. He speaks of "the Trinity of God [the Father], His Word and His Wisdom" ("Ad. Autol.", 11, 15, P. G., VI, 1078). The term may, of course, have been in use before his time. Shortly afterwards it appears in its Latin form of trinitas in Tertullian."
    Encyclopedia of the Holy TrinityThe Catholic work Trinitas-A Theological Encyclopedia of the Holy Trinity, for example, notes that some of Tertullian's words were later used by others to describe the Trinity. Then it cautions: "But hasty conclusions cannot be drawn from usage, for he does not apply the words to Trinitarian theology." (ti pp.5-6)"The great African fashioned the Latin language of the Trinity, and many of his words and phrases remained permanently in use: the words Trinitas and persona, the formulas 'one substance in three persons,' 'God from God, light from Light.' He uses the word substantia 400 times, as he uses consubstantialis and consubstantivus, but hasty conclusions cannot be drawn from usage, for he does not apply the words to Trinitarian theology"
    New Catholic Encyclopedia - p.306"And the New Catholic Encyclopedia also says: "And the doctrine of the Holy Trinity is not taught in the O[ld] T[estament]."" (ti p.6)"The doctrine of the Holy Trinity is not taught in the OT. … In many places of the OT however, expressions are used in which some of the Fathers of the Church saw references or foreshadowings of the Trinity."
    Origin and Evolution of Religion "Yale University professor E. Washburn Hopkins affirmed: "To Jesus and Paul the doctrine of the trinity was apparently unknown; . . . they say nothing about it."-Origin and Evolution of Religion." (ti p.6)"The beginning of the doctrine of the Trinity appears already in John (c.100 AD.") To Jesus and Paul the doctrine of the trinity was apparently unknown; at any rate they say nothing about it."

A favourite quote in regular use in Watchtower publications is:

""The formulation 'one God in three Persons' was not solidly established, certainly not fully assimilated into Christian life and its profession of faith, prior to the end of the fourth century. . . . Among the apostolic Fathers, there had been nothing even remotely approaching such a mentality or perspective." -New Catholic Encyclopedia." Should You Believe in the Trinity? p.7

This quote is from New Catholic Encyclopedia p.299 (1967, Volume XIV). The inaccuracy of the context can be seen when continuing to read on page 300:

"If it is clear on the one side that the dogma of the Trinity in the stricter sense of the word was a late arrival, product of three centuries' reflection and debate, it is just as clear on the opposite side that confession of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - and hence an elemental Trinitarianism - went back to the period of Christian origins"
      --------------------------------------------------

I dunno, just something to think about

So what OTHER words do JW's use that are not found in the Bible???
  • homeschool
    homeschool

jwfacts...btw...I LOVE your new format

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit