Questions From Readers Nov 15th 2009

by dozy 91 Replies latest watchtower bible

• JWoods
    JWoods

Remember that is was also Paul who came within an ace of telling Christians not to marry - and probably this was the model to set up the celibate Catholic Priesthood complete with all the issues this has caused for them over the years.

Come to think of it, that too is followed at least in part by the Society - as in the tradition of the unmarried Bethel boys...

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I wonder if complaints have been received from the old fuddies....a lot of the sisters who learn signing are the young ones ...therefore attractive. A cute gal standing down the front doing the signs can be a real distraction...Perhaps they hope that this will tone down the effect ?

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Here's the official JW uniform sisters will be wearing for sign language presentations:

Star

...just focus on her hands.

• sir82
    sir82
    She said the reason was because with ASL, there was no "word-for-word" translating being done. They were now "interpreting", thus the change.

Sheesh, talk about straining the gnat while gulping down the camel!

The GB is so hung up on this incredibly minor detail that they have to write a "[Fake] Questions From Readers" about it, yet their own New World "Translation" is not a "translation" at all, but is instead an interpretation, due to their arbitrarily selecting 237 places in the NT where all the existing manuscripts state "Lord" and substituting in "Jehovah".

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

JWoods,

If I recall correctly, Paul advice against mariage because of what he viewed as the iminent "heart break" due to the presecution they would be/were facing at the time, he advised self control, BUT, if one couldn't control, marriage was OK.

He also made it clear it was his opinion, if I recall correctly.

• White Dove
    White Dove

ASL is not the only language that is interpreted from another language. Spanish, if interpreted literally, would sound very funny to us. Someone told me that in the Korean NWT, they use the word 'rice' instead of 'bread' because rice is the common staple there instead of bread. "Please give us our daily rice, and forgive..."

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

bennyk brings up a good point. Aren't women in FS teaching others? Granted, they're teaching WT doctrine but still they are teaching the public. Shouldn't they be wearing head coverings?

I guess they'd rather have the rank & file talk about this than some of the other issues they'd rather avoid.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    If I recall correctly, Paul advice against mariage because of what he viewed as the iminent "heart break" due to the presecution they would be/were facing at the time, he advised self control, BUT, if one couldn't control, marriage was OK.
    He also made it clear it was his opinion, if I recall correctly.

Yup. But here is the deal - if this marriage thing was only his opinion - then what about the head covering idea?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The head thing was a cultural thing, if I recall, remember Paul was a Pharisee, they had strick dress code rules and such.

I imagine one would need a blood transfusion to get all that dogma out of one system, even after conversion, LOL !

• BadBettie
    BadBettie

Does anyone remember the KM (or wt?) on women that couldnt find a scarf so in one case they used a diaper and in another a plastic bag?

We often didn't have the brothers show up to do their turn on the group during the week (must suck to be sick on the same day every week which is oddly a meeting day that is attended by the person who was "sick" [If you dont want the job theres people waiting]) so there was always a hassle over who had to pray and who wore the scarf. My sister started to carry one in her purse it got so bad.

One day we couldn't find one and all the women were looking through their purses to find something and the article came up every time someone suggested something like a magazine or tissue. I never carried a purse so I was useless and eventually the sisters (not me) got in a fight and no prayer was said (WTFudge?). Finally our driver drove 2 blocks to her house, got a scarf and said a prayer. I liked that lady. Shes the only one that never made me nervous from mistrust out of our regular pioneers.

Once again though that diaper article is within the last decade I'm sure. I need to get my Watchtower library CD. I havent seen it since I moved. I guess I can ask for a new one.... I keep getting books and magazines and have nowhere to keep them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit