Questions From Readers Nov 15th 2009

by dozy 91 Replies latest watchtower bible

• dozy
    dozy

To clarify - Nov 15 2009 says a head covering is required - the previous QFRs said it wasn't. I don't have the WT to hand to quote verbatim. (If you want to hear it , you can download it at JW.org).

A helpful picture is included of a sister interpreting wearing a head scarf. (At least the burkah isn't compulsory yet in JW land , though I am sure some of the GB are working towards it.)

What I particularly found amusing was the reference within the article quoting how the instruction was wise. The WTS seems constantly to need to say how wise , clever & discreet & wonderful they are. On this occasion , they even did away with the false 3rd party affirmation.

Re cash flow , there is the usual November article on donating to the WTS.

• Gladring
    Gladring

I just found that article on the jw.org website. Definitely says that a sister should wear a headcovering when signing for a brother.

• undercover
    undercover

Thanks Dozy...

If anyone gets a copy, could they scan it?

I'm with Sir on this one...why are they worrying about head coverings when they have so many other issues?

The only thing I can come up with is that they know they're losing control over the rank and file. It's been noted that the obey/control factor has increased in recent times. It's also been noted that the ranks of brothers eligible for "privileges" has decreased.

As this trend continues, the sisters gain more prominence as they have to actually cover some of the dutiese usually assigned to brothers. Could this be a lame attempt at reminding sisters their "place"?

Basically the GB is saying, "Even though we're allowing you to read and carry out duties that normally go to brothers, we want you to remember that you're still in subjection and this visible sign will remind you of your place and it will tell everyone else as well."

• bereanbiblestudent
    bereanbiblestudent

I think it was the book Qualified to be ministers that said that the best reader should read if that was a sister she should do it because it is important that the message is understood by those in attendance. I know that many elders would not let a sister read even if they read it in the literature.

Has anyone seen the November 15, Watchtower on the internet as pdf?

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

My guess is that the motive behind this is to keep a new generation of women down. A lot of sisters love the glory of signing (with all respect to those that did it) and its a big thing to them.

The GB will use any and every opportunity to remind you that you are not THEM, and should thus be in subjection. Women, men, elders, MS's, pioneers, non GB annointed. Doesn't matter. You aren't a GB, you aren't anything.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Anxious to see a scan of the magazine and to read this QFR.

• possible-san
    possible-san

Probably, for us, passwordprotected and TheOldHippie will make the PDF of that WT.
    We'll say them "thank you."

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/178911/2/The-Watchtower-September-15-2009-PDF

• JWoods
    JWoods

As long as we are on the subject - what was the purpose of having somebody read out each damn paragraph after questions and answers during the Watchtower Study?

It was almost like - OK, children - you had your chance --- but NOW we will hear the words of the Society itself!

• oompa
    oompa

oh ya....i would love some spunky sis to stand up there with a black scarf, then pull in down as a full face burka when she starts to sign....that would be a great statement..........oompa

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I'm with Sir on this one...why are they worrying about head coverings when they have so many other issues?

Undercover, I agree with you.

Perhaps this underscores the more conservative (and more cultic) movement of the Governing Body. The 2/3 vote is moving more and more in a negative way. That's what happens when a group of 9 men have absolute control of the JW religion. What's scary is that these same 9 men choose any new members of the Governing Body and the increasing conservative and cultic nature of the GB will mean men of similar disposition will be chosen.

Personally, I think this signifies an increasingly dark era for JWs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit