Imperfection is irrelevant. Who has the right to rule?

by bluecanary 117 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Bluecanary..

Congratulations,your doing a good job of keeping control of your thread..

...............................................................................................................

One wrong prophecy and the Bible says your a false prophet..

Still,who gave the WBT$ the right to claim to be Spokesman for God?..

God has always chosen his own spokesman..

Now God has no choice in who speaks for him??????

................................OUTLAW

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

All can error in regards to interpretation, that is why it is CRUCIAL to understand the difference between interpretation and scripture.

One can NOT base a salvation view on interpretation, only scripture ( that referes to salvation).

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

I know what you meant, palm, and it is a good question. I've been curious to how reniaa feels about that as well. I know Spike has said before that if he sees the GB in error, he chooses to follow what he sees in the Bible.

EDIT: Not the GB, per se. I think he was talking about the elders.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

So that my point is not lost, I say again: in as much as a group understands the spirit of the Bible correctly, I believe that such a group has the right to rule. I believe the directives to preach (Matthew 24 & Matthew 28) and to associate (Hebrews 10) are key. I do not believe that any one group has to have ALL the right knowledge, but on balance I'm sticking with the WTS. They treated their DF'd ones properly, not like some groups I know about. I see no reason to believe the WTS would head in the direction of the Trinity than Reniaa would, which is why I jumped to the WTS in the first place. Their teachings regarding headship and spiritual family training taking precedence over material pursuits is increasingly outstanding.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Spike, much of the statements you just made apply to Christadelphians as well. Why did you not choose them?

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    as much as a group understands the spirit of the Bible correctly, I believe that such a group has the right to rule.

Wow, so if I understand it more correctly, and talk exactly like the WT does, I have the right to rule? Fail. I think one must understand both the spirit and the substance of the bible if they want to start their own little worship club.

I believe the directives to preach (Matthew 24 & Matthew 28) and to associate (Hebrews 10) are key.

And JW's are the only religion who do this? I know, I used to think that way too as a JW, until I allowed myself to see other people and religions do this. Fail.

They treated their DF'd ones properly, not like some groups I know about.

JW's disfellowship for smoking, working at a government factory, working for the Red Cross or other religious corporations, and esp, for even privately disagreeing with a piece of dogma. ALL OF WHICH is UNSCRIPTURAL.

Fail.

I see no reason to believe the WTS would head in the direction of the Trinity than Reniaa would, which is why I jumped to the WTS in the first place.

JW's are not the only montheistic sect of Christianity. Fail.

Their teachings regarding headship and spiritual family training taking precedence over material pursuits is increasingly outstanding.

JW's are the only ones who care about their families? C'mon! There is no one perscribed way in the bible to do this. The JW way of building up families is total indoctrination using nothing but GB written literature that promotes GB authority above all else.

Fail.

Jehovah's Witnesses teach that all other religion is controlled by Satan, which by default, leaves them. FAIL FAIL FAIL.

I don't mean to be disrespectful of you Spike, its just that you are wrong.

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

Fair enough, Spike. You do not believe that the GB must get everything correct; you will follow them regardless. I respect anyone's right to make that choice. Do you understand why other people would not make that choice?

What criteria do you use to know whether a group understands the Bible correctly?

This seems like a catch-22. If I read the Bible and understand it to teach that [there is no trinity], [the gospel must be preached] and/or [strict headship must be followed], and I find a religion that teaches that, how am I any different than a person who reads the Bible and understands it to teach that [God is a triune of three persons], [all persons who accept Jesus are acceptable to him] and/or [it's important to celebrate the memorial more regularly than once a year] and chooses a religion that practices these teachings? In either case, I am choosing a religion based on my own understanding of the Bible rather than on evidence that God is backing one particular religion.

Ask yourself why sincere people come to completely opposite conclusions upon reading the same set of scriptures. I think "sincere" is a fair description because many people have held what you consider to be false beliefs before learning and accepting witness teachings. The fact that they hadn't heard witness teachings before does not negate the sincerity of their earlier beliefs that they knew and cared about the truth of God. And if a person learns witness beliefs and disagrees with them, this does not negate their sincerity.

In the past, God didn't rely only upon written word that could be taken to have multiple meanings. He made clear what he supported through the use of miraculous signs. You will no doubt point to scriptures showing that at some point, those signs would cease. My question is why? Why would God abandon a practice that worked so well? Yes, many people still rejected these signs, but at least they were rejecting hard evidence rather than vague interpretations. This clearly demonstrated their opposition to God. Does that not seem unfair of God? To offer people hard evidence in the past, but now when people reject his word because they had no more reason to believe it than other mythical claims and yet they receive the same harsh judgement?

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

Jehovah has the right to operate as He has seen fit. It is His Universe, we are living in, after all. So, He has deposed leaders and put other leaders in their places. Just as He has done so many times in the past, He reserves the right to do so into the eternal future. He has the sole right to determine when His prophecies are fulfilled and what counts as an authentic fulfillment. It is up to us to see what He has revealed, assuming that we have been given a right measure of his holy spirit, in order that we may do so, and do so accurately.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    Jehovah has the right to operate as He has seen fit.

It isn't Jehovah though. It's the Governing Body. No one knows what "Jehovah" wants. We do read a lot of the GB's ideas in the WT though.

It is up to us to see what He has revealed, assuming that we have been given a right measure of his holy spirit, in order that we may do so, and do so accurately.

Spike, given your support of the GB, and given the fact that the GB says you shouldn't be here discussing these things, then one can rightly conclude from your own logic that you have zero holy spirit and are thus not qualified to point out much of anything regarding JW's or the GB.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

that there are those who take the lead is not the question..it is how they are to lead...in what spirit they are to lead in. The WT leads in an autocratic way...the mandates are made in secret meetings by the GB in an esoteric way (this is not scripturally precedented anywhere). All members must follow GB mandates or be expelled- again not scriptural.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit