"Remember, nobody can REALLY love you unless they know and love Jehovah first."

by AllTimeJeff 148 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• undercover
    undercover

Excellent post ATJeff...

As Girlie noted about not giving it much thought when first hearing it, most JWs in attendance probably didn't give it any consideration either. And that's the insidiousness of it. That wasn't a one time mention of that concept. It's a constant barrage, through publications, meetings and conventions. It is one of the core philosphies of the cult.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Atomahawk:

The only thing that I wonder about though is this, do you believe that they (GB) actually intentionally manipulate people to this degree? The reason I ask is it’s very hard to fathom that they are this intelligent and shrewd to influence people too this level.

I don't disagree with this, in fact, when I first left, I somewhat believed this. However, there are a few things to note about the GB....

They (Gov Body 2.0, the new version) KNOW, they absolutely know, that the date of 1914 is false. They inherited this mess. Yet, they still teach it.

Members such as Sam Herd, Gerrit Losch, for example, make comments frequently at Bethel that "some teachings need updating or changing". Yet, without a majority, they continue to preach it as gospel truth, and if you don't agree, you're out.

I don't know if you have read Crisis of Conscience and In Search of Christian Freedom by Ray Franz, but his points an eyewitness observations about the insidiousness of this group sure rang true with me.

I would disagree about one thing, they are as shrewed as shrewed cult leaderships get.

I am going to assume that these men are actually sincere and do believe what they preach and they themselves are so brainwashed with delusions of grandeur that they are no longer able to distinguish truth and reality. Psychologically speaking this is pretty scary stuff.

I can respect that. I go back and forth all the time about how much they believe it. If they change too much, they lose their core. If they don't change enough, they will have this slow leak of late become a gaping hole. They are damned if they do, damned if they don't, and lately, I personally do believe that while they are sincere in the idea that they help others worship their version of god, they are also a bit cynical about the effects of their teachings......

This will be the last I can post till after work, but I look forward to discussing this further....

• swa
    swa

This is another example of what drives me insane about the JW's! For years I would have heard that and thought "yup that's right", but now after a sort of awakening I think "what gives them the authority to say whatever they like, absent any real evidence and expect everyone to accept it?". The answer..."they are the Faithful Slave". Yeah, but they were wrong about this, that, and the other; how do you know they're not wrong about this? The response..."are you questioning the Faithful Slave?" The circular reasoning kicks in and it's all over before it started for 99.9% of the sheep. The Governing Body uses the entire feeding program to condition this type of reasoning and in the end it's almost all designed to enforce submission to them. That is what makes me angry despite wanting to beleive they are doing the best they can given what they actually have in the way of knowledge and spirituality. I just can't do it anymore, but like so many others my family situation leaves no choice. It's hard to feign love and respect for something you grow to dislike more and more every day.

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

Atomahawk, in addition to what Jeff said, the GB may be small-potatoes on a global scale, but they rule over seven million people. That's like being the government of a small country. (Compare here). If only one million of those people donated ten dollars every month, how much money would you have at the end of the year? Add in investments and real estate deals and they have a cushy set-up. They know how to stroke the hand that feeds them while keeping it chained to them.

• besty
    besty

the collected scribblings of the esteemed AllTimeJeff are are available here....

http://www.freeminds.org/blogs/spirituality-beyond-gilead/index.php

• LucyA
    LucyA

I agree with you jeff having an unbeliveing father I know exactly how cruel this practice is when I left the borg at sixteen I suddenly dicovered this whole other human being called DAD. I now respect my mother but I love my dad and that discovery in itself was worth leaving for.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

what is love if it is not understanding, gentle, reasonable, compassionate, yet firm for principle, as Jehovah demonstrates?

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    what is love if it is not understanding, gentle, reasonable, compassionate, yet firm for principle, as Jehovah demonstrates?

Spike, mysteriously, you always forget to make a point. (or maybe it isn't a mystery)

Anyway, thanks for sharing, as always, whatever your point is.....

• believingxjw
    believingxjw

Could someone please post the context within which the quote "Remember, nobody can really love you unless they know and love Jehovah first," was said?

Thanks.

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

As a devoted and a faithful Jehovah Witness and being in servitude to the Governing Body is like being a sadomasochist,

they keep on lying and hurting you and you in return keep on loving them for it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit