what is best evidence against noah's flood?......

by oompa 93 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Not sure if people in China and Japan mention a flood in their History.

I know their are mentions of Flood(s) in the ME civilizations, don't recall any anywehere esle though, any proof of that?

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

RENIAA CUTE? I THOUGHT MORE LIKE NAUSEATING.

• Mary
    Mary

There is no physical/geological evidence for a worldwide flood as described in Genesis. However, Columbia University geologists William Ryan and Walter Pitman theorized that about 12,000 years ago, toward the end of the Ice Age, Earth began growing warmer. Sheets of ice over the Northern Hemisphere began to melt. Oceans and seas grew deeper.

About 7,000 years ago the Mediterranean Sea swelled. Seawater pushed northward, slicing through what is now Turkey. Funneled through the narrow Bosporus, the water hit the Black Sea with 200 times the force of Niagara Falls. Each day the Black Sea rose about six inches (15 centimeters), and coastal farms were flooded. Alot of local people would have died. To any survivors looking out on the waters, it would have seemed as though the flood had "covered the earth". This catastrophe would have been seared into the memories of terrified survivors, the tale of the flood was passed down through the generations and eventually became the Noah story.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Mary,

Yes I have read that theory/fact also and, to be truthful, it is by far the more plausable theory of what happened.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Mary..

I agree,so do many historians..

The story of the flood,comes directly from the Creation of the Black Sea..

..................OUTLAW

• Mary
    Mary

Surprisingly, I know a number of active Witnesses who do not believe there was a global flood, but rather, it was a local flood.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Mary..

I`ve seen documentorys,of well educated Christians..Explaining the Noah`s Flood/Black Sea connection..

They also agree with you..

...........................OUTLAW

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Not sure if people in China and Japan mention a flood in their History.

None in China. Earlier in the thread I posted an account from the book "Aeons" by Martin Gorst. He relates how the Catholic Church sent a leading Jesuit priest to China in the middle ages. He tried to instruct the Chinese Scholars about the flood occuring around 2500 B.C. or so - and they were completely incredulous -... They had written history, including verifiable occurances of eclipses, going back several hundred years before this date.

And no reference whatsoever to the flood myth. It appears to be a common thread to only the middle east antiquity.

To a bible literalist, there is an embarrassing similarity to many of the legends of the early Old Testament with that of early Assyria, Babylon, and Egypt. Almost as if many of these stories were common legends between these various warring cultures. Another poster pointed out earlier that there is an almost identical story to the Bible Hero who pledged his daughter as a human sacrifice to YHWH if he won a critical battle - but this one was from ancient Syria. It also details that she was not really killed, but rather made into a temple nun...a detail not made clear in the Bible version.

• darkl1ght3r
    darkl1ght3r

Reniaa, reniaa, reniaa...

Did you see the big bang? what proof do you have of the Big bang? Do you know with proof that time started with the big bang?

Did you see your own birth? What proof do you have that you were born? Did you see the volcano destroy Pompei 2000 years ago? How does anyone know that these events actually happened? The hard proof of the Big Bang is easilly accessable to anyone who wants to read about it. Something tells me you dont.

The bible tells me there was a flood, I klnow we have a racial memories of both flood and God across the world.

I've already told you "racial memories" are bullsh!t when it comes to hard evidence. Why do you simply regurgitate a claim after it's already been shown to be flawed? Simply because a belief is widespread does not make it true! "Racial memories" are not evidence!!! How can you not see what's wrong with your reasoning here?!?! It might be a good reason to start an investigation, but hard evidence is required for further corroboration. Unfortunately there is NO evidence for either a global flood, OR your God.

LOGIC, reniaa... LOGIC.

People like to deal in absolutes so the newest idea becomes a 'fact' rather than just a possibility unless proved otherwise.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but it seems to be that you're describing the way religion works. This is also how 'miracle' diets gain popularity, and how certain nutritional supplements become top sellers but then fall into obscurity due to not living up to the hype. Most people don't like to take the time to do a proper investigation to see a certain claim "holds water", because that is hard work and it might reveal information that they'd rather not be aware of. They might prefer to believe the claim is true. It's comforting to them. (I'm sorry, but judging by the content of your posts, YOU are one of those people.) Science as a process is designed precisely to avoid such assumptions and "comfortable" thinking.

With both bible readers and those that prefer evolution they are both having to do the same thing. which is fit the evidence to their framework of belief.

I love how believers know they're thought process is flawed, so instead of trying to correct it, they simply accuse the other side of the same thing. The fact is, you've got it backwards. Scientific theories are formulated AROUND a certain set of FACTS. The more facts a theory can account for, the more successful the theory. If a new theory explains more facts than an old one, the old one is discarded. You, and JWs, START with a belief, and then find facts that can fit into that framework. If a fact doesn't fit, then IT is discarded, instead your so called "theory".

We have a planet that is nearly 70% covered in water so a flood is a reasonable belief in my book.

LOL If we had a planet that was 100% covered in water then it would be reasonable. But BECAUSE our planet is ONLY covered in 70% water makes belief in a world wide flood UNreasonable. Which statement makes more sense, mine or yours? There is ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE of the kind of geological activity necessary to allow that 70% of water to cover the remaining 30% of land. Also if you saw in my previous post the Egyptian culture existed before during and after the supposed flood. Somehow the pyramids survived all that catostrophic "flood geology".

Reniaa... please read BOTH sides of the argument, instead of the one you like that supports your cherished view. It takes honesty and humility. Give it a try.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

If all the moisture from the Atmosphere came down right now..

The water level globaly,would rise 2 inchs..

You don`t need an Ark for 2 more inch`s of water..

Well..Maybe Reniaa does..

.....................LOL!!...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit