what is best evidence against noah's flood?......

by oompa 93 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TD
    TD
    Rationalising the impossible is just not a thing for religious people. scientists also do it too. Currently time is the rationale, that if you throw enough time at nothing it turns into something.

Reniaa, a 'Rationalist" and someone who 'Rationalizes' are two very different and unrelated things.

--Maybe I should have used the word, 'Positivist' instead.

The point is that the Witnesses have chosen the path of rationalism by rejecting purely metaphysical explanations for the flood story. Therefore the observations of Bohm and others cannot be dismissed.

When you reject the precepts with which the JW faith approaches this story, you are no longer defending the worldview of the Witnesses, you are defending the wordlview of Reniaa and that's not what this board is about.

(I hope that doesn't sound flippant. I don't mean it that way )

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

Those ignorant ancient men told many stories of how powerful their god was over all other gods of varied different cultures.

Thats something that should be accepted as fact and not a random belief if we are going to be intellectually honest.

Religionists today are selling mankind's past human ignorances with a bit of salvation , redemption and just to ice the cake a bit of Paradise.

It all may then come down to how honest you really want to be and what means most to you as a person..

Now can I tell you a story how powerful and awesome my god is Homerovah ?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I wish God would have done the impossible and kept this man from drowning.

purps

A boat of newly arrived refugees reaches the Yemeni shore after being rescued by local fishermen while crossing the Gulf of Aden on Dec. 1, 2008. The man in the foreground was not as fortunate, he drowned after being thrown into the sea by ruthless smugglers the night before. Despite the risky journey, the number of Somali refugees arriving in Yemen in 2008 increased by 70 percent over 2007, according to the UNHCR.

• besty
  • purplesofa
    purplesofa

I have a question?

If there was a water canopy over the earth as the JW's believe, would it not at some time produced rain anyway? without it being a curse from God to kill sinful humans?

Would we still be under that canopy now if not for the sinners?

• darkl1ght3r
    darkl1ght3r

reinaa - "Currently time is the rationale, that if you throw enough time at nothing it turns into something."

Ahhh yes... the 'classic' fundamentalist argument against evloution. They keep repeating this even though it only highlightes the fact they haven't the faintest idea of what evolution is or how it works. Nothing about the Big Bang, abiogenesis, OR evolution relies on the premise of "something from nothing".

• bohm
    bohm

purplesofa: well, the water canopy is about 150 years old i think and i doubt the person who proposed it really studied its effects. The thing is, that its the mass of the atmospheare that creates preassure. So if you add water to the atmosfeare, no matter how you do it, it increase its mass. That increase the preasure. If you add, say, 100 meters of water, it increase the preasure to that 100 meters below surface. normal air is toxic at that depth - if you have seen a program about deep sea diving you will know you got to put helium and all kinds of weird stuff into the air to make it breathable, and even then its not healthy.

About it raining - true. god has two options: change the physical characteristics of water without killing humans who rely on those characteristics. thats basically a continious miracle. so why would god do that, just to have the air filled with water? it makes no sence unless it was gods plan all along to kill all humans which raise new questions.

The other option (that will work!) is to increase the temparature. by increasing i dont mean 4 or 10 degrees celcius, but hundreds of degrees (it depends on the amount of water). Again people will die.

Thats why people suggest why the water in the canoby orbits the earth like sattelites. That has problems of its own - see my previous post a page or two back - but raise new problems - water in orbit contains a tremendeous amount of energy. that energy has to go somewhere. basically it would sterelize the atmospheare if a body of water like just the mediteranean see fell down, again see the post for the calculation, its just highschool stuff. (E = gmh, T = E /(c*m), m is mass, h is height above earth, E is energy, T is temperature (in kelvin), c is specific heat capacity, g is gravity acceleration on surface).

IF there is an astronomer here he may calculate what effect the tidal drag of the moon would have on a water canopy. it put a limit on how dense it can be, and properly rule out any kind of rigid structure (which can be ruled out to begin with because it will be destroyd pretty quickly by meteors anyway).

the water canopy is a perfect example of a explanation that raise far greater problems than the original problem, its sort of like explaining where your lost slipper is by inventing a slipper-hiding dwarf that lives under your bed. IT does, however, delute the argument, and gives proponents something to talk about, which some seem to confuse as proof....

• oompa
    oompa

holy crap what happend here?!?!?!.........ANOTHER HIJACK?!?!?!.........say it aint so......those who followed the rules just answered the damm question posted!!!.......if rennniupmyass wants to post about the evidence OF THE FLOOD....hahaha.......which of course none exists....then do so on her own thread.........oompa

cant wait to see that short post...

and thanks all for the input........i feel stoopid for missing so much.....................course i did not get to go to college!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• darkl1ght3r
    darkl1ght3r

purplesofa - If there was a water canopy over the earth as the JW's believe, would it not at some time produced rain anyway? without it being a curse from God to kill sinful humans? Would we still be under that canopy now if not for the sinners?

Good questions... (Sorry oompa if I contributed to derailing the thread, this post will be on topic!) And another good question, is: If there was a vapor canopy above the earth (as JWs believe) AND Genesis 1 was written from the perspective of an observer on earth (as JWs believe), how then did the "stars become visible" through said vapor canopy? Surely the sun's light might be somewhat visable as an ominous bright mass, and the moon's light maaaaaaaybe... but the stars? No way.

Sorry Watchtower... you can't have it both ways. Vapor canopy "theory" means your Genesis explanation is off. Genesis observer "theory" means your flood explanation is off.

Oh wait, what am I talking about. I forgot I did research on those points and I got an entirely appropriate answer, let's see... I think it was: "IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW JEHOVAH DID IT. HE JUST DID IT. WHY ARE YOU ASKING SO MANY QUESTIONS? YOU SHOULD NOT BE ASKING SO MANY QUESTIONS. HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO AN APOSTATE WEBSITE?"

Yeah... that was it.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Thanks for the answers to my Q, I don't think JW's give any thought to the validity of whether a vapor canopy is able to proove or disproove, I was not born-in and when I studied and heard this I bought it hook, line and sinker like everything else they taught.

and sorry for getting off topic with my picture of the Somalian refugee,

but it was just that when reniaa said God can do the impossible, I was

surfing around reading about Somali and the picture and story really got to me.

purps

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit