What Must an Angel Do To Repent?

by cameo-d 70 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I remember God telling Jonah he was going to destroy the Ninevites and then didn't, making Jonah a little peeved.

No he didn't. Read it. Here is God's commission for Jonah:

Jonah 1:1 The word of the Lord came to Jonah son of Amittai: “Go to the great city of Nineveh and preach against it, because its wickedness has come up before me.”

Full stop.

Chapter 3:

Then the word of the Lord came to Jonah a second time: “Go to the great city of Nineveh and proclaim to it the message I give you.”

Jonah obeyed the word of the Lord and went to Nineveh. Now Nineveh was a very important city—a visit required three days. On the first day, Jonah started into the city. He proclaimed: “Forty more days and Nineveh will be overturned.” The Ninevites believed God. They declared a fast, and all of them, from the greatest to the least, put on sackcloth.

When the news reached the king of Nineveh, he rose from his throne, took off his royal robes, covered himself with sackcloth and sat down in the dust. Then he issued a proclamation in Nineveh:

“By the decree of the king and his nobles:

Do not let any man or beast, herd or flock, taste anything; do not let them eat or drink. But let man and beast be covered with sackcloth. Let everyone call urgently on God. Let them give up their evil ways and their violence. Who knows? God may yet relent and with compassion turn from his fierce anger so that we will not perish.”

When God saw what they did and how they turned from their evil ways, he had compassion and did not bring upon them the destructionhe had threatened.

Why send a prophet to a people if their fate is sealed?

The Ninevites repented. They changed their minds, not God.

BTS

• Atomahawk
    Atomahawk

If angels have emotions I can't see why they couldn't change their minds and regret and eventually repent if it was allowable.

Obviously like Adam and Eve they were perfect meaning they absolutely knew the truth as how it relates to god, technically they don't have the excuse for turning away from him. The thing is they have no recourse as there are no provisions in this situation.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Jonah3:

1 The word of the Lord came to Jonah a second time, saying,
    2 "Get up, go to Nineveh, that great city, and proclaim to it the message that I tell you."
    3 So Jonah set out and went to Nineveh, according to the word of the Lord. Now Nineveh was an exceedingly large city, a three days' walk across.
    4 Jonah began to go into the city, going a day's walk. And he cried out, "Forty days more, and Nineveh shall be overthrown!"

10 When God saw what they did, how they turned from their evil ways, God changed his mind about the calamity that he had said he would bring upon them; and he did not do it.

NRSV

The ninivites changed their minds AND god's.

S

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

God does not destroy a repentant sinner. If a sinner repents, he does not destroy them. That is his "mind." He did not change it.

BTS

• blondie
    blondie

So God didn't change his mind and he killed the Ninevites?

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Atomohawk: "Obviously like Adam and Eve they were perfect meaning they absolutely knew the truth as how it relates to god, "

How do you reckon that, TommyHawk?

Adam and Eve did not know the truth about anything. They did not even know the difference between right and wrong or good and bad until AFTER they 'sinned' and partook of the fruit of Knowledge.

They had no knowledge until they touched the Knowledge tree!

So, if they were perfect beforehand...it was only because they were mindless...void of reasoning capabilities....and were zombie slaves.

Genesis 3: 4-5 The serpent told the Woman, "You won't die. God knows that the moment you eat from that tree, you'll see what's really going on. You'll be just like God, knowing everything, ranging all the way from good to evil."

Genesis 3: 22 God said, "The Man has become like one of us, capable of knowing everything, ranging from good to evil. What if he now should reach out and take fruit from the Tree-of-Life and eat, and live forever? Never—this cannot happen!"

• Satanus
    Satanus

'He did not change it.'

Jonah3:10 When God saw what they did, how they turned from their evil ways, God changed his mind

S

• Atomahawk
    Atomahawk

Cameo-d

If god created man and man was for all intended purpose perfect in the eyes of god, I simply refer to things as how god viewed the situation. This being the case no matter the reason the fact remains that they turned away from god fully knowing what god required of them. In the case of the tree of knowledge they were not to touch it and eat the fruit. Pretty simple instructions if you asked me. It was a perfect law established by god. One has to assume it was understood by Adam and Eve, if not it would negate the idea that god loved what he created, by creating a law that they( Adam and Eve) could not follow.

So, if they were perfect beforehand...it was only because they were mindless...void of reasoning capabilities....and were zombie slaves.” It’s assumed that man and angels had cognitive and intellectual skills built in. If not they would be no different than any other living creature, which is very clearly indicated in the bible to the contrary. You can believe they were zombies it’s a matter of opinion. I’m just offering a point of view based on certain logic.

I’m certainly not saying that Adam and Eve and the angels didn’t have their own reasons to turn away from god I’m just saying they did, and all parties knew what they were doing. If not it opens a whole other can of worms and I really don’t think it would be worth debating in this thread.

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

Didn't God change his mind when he let Lot run to a city instead of hiding in the mountains?

If God can't change his mind, it implies he doesn't have free will.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

TommyHawk:

"This being the case no matter the reason the fact remains that they turned away from god Watchtower fully knowing what god Watchtower required of them.

In the case of the tree of knowledge contraband and apostate literature, they were not to touch it and eat the fruit. Pretty simple instructions if you asked me. It was a perfect law established by god. watchtower.

So much for perfect laws. Why are you here?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit