New World Translation, is it the best bible translation?

by littlebuddy 177 Replies latest watchtower bible

• reniaa
    reniaa

Hi jo jo

when I am looking at an apple I do not ask the apple pickers how qualified in apple picking they are to know whether the apple is good to eat. All I need to do is eat the apple.

A bible translations stands and falls on it's content no words are hidden.

I know the JWs were deliberately vague on qualifications and who translated for their own reasons, ray franz made certain allegations which they have niether denied or confirmed so I cannot say anymore beyond that.

but then how many of you know anything about the translators of the versions you use? lol this is just another case of measuring the world of JW by a measure you do not use on anyone else. A typical tactic I find.

Reniaa

• reniaa
    reniaa

hi chalam

the version you use with it's impressive list of translators does it still use "Lord" instead of YHWH in the hebrew scriptures?

Reniaa

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

"but then how many of you know anything about the translators of the versions you use? lol this is just another case of measuring the world of JW by a measure you do not use on anyone else. A typical tactic I find."

I when was shopping for a bible and quite a few of them had the story of how that particular translation came to be and I'll bet the information is easily obtained online also...not a big mystery and quite the norm. Example:

The NIV Committee on Bible Translation

The NIV Committee on Bible Translation (CBT) is a "continuing committee of fifteen" formed in 1965 for the purpose of creating and revising the NIV. From 1965 to 1983 the members of the CBT [1] were:

1. E. Leslie Carlson, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary.
      Carlson died in 1967 and was replaced by Larry Walker.
    2. Edmund P. Clowney, Westminster Theological Seminary.
      Clowney resigned in 1968 and was replaced by Robert Preus.
    3. Ralph Earle, Nazarene Theological Seminary
    4. Burton L. Goddard, Gordon Divinity School
    5. R. Laird Harris, Covenant Theological Seminary
    6. Earl S. Kalland, Conservative Baptist Theological Seminary (Denver)
    7. Kenneth S. Kantzer, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School.
      Kantzer resigned in 1969 and was replaced by Richard Longenecker.
    8. Robert Mounce, Bethel College (St. Paul).
      Mounce resigned in 1967 and was replaced by Youngve Kindberg.
      Kindberg resigned in 1983 and was replaced by Donald Wiseman.
    9. Stephen W. Paine, Houghton College
    10. Charles F. Pfeiffer, Central Michigan University
      In 1974 the "long-inactive" Pfeiffer was replaced by Kenneth L. Barker
    11. Charles C. Ryrie, Dallas Theological Seminary.
      Ryrie resigned in 1977 and was replaced by Ronald Youngblood (appointed 1979).
    12. Francis R. Steele, North Africa Mission.
      Steele resigned in 1969 and was replaced by William J. Martin.
      Martin died in 1980 and was replaced by Bruce Waltke.
    13. John H. Stek, Calvin Theological Seminary
    14. John C. Wenger, Goshen Biblical Seminary
    15. Marten H. Woudstra, Calvin Theological Seminary

During 1976-1978 there was "an expansion of the CBT for editing purp

http://www.bible-researcher.com/niv-translators.html

The New American Standard Bible

New Testament, 1963. Reuben A. Olson et al., New American Standard Bible: New Testament. Pilot ed. La Habra, California: [Foundation Press] Produced and published by the Lockman Foundation, 1963.

Bible, 1971. Reuben A. Olson et al., New American Standard Bible. La Habra, California: Foundation Press Publications, publisher for the Lockman Foundation, 1971.

Updated edition, 1995. New American Standard Bible. Anaheim, California: Foundation Publications, 1995.

As its name implies, the New American Standard Bible is a revision of the American Standard Version (1901). It was produced by a company of conservative scholars who wished to provide a literal and conservative revision of the ASV, as an alternative to the Revised Standard Version (1952), which had proven to be unacceptable to conservative churches. Although the NASB revisers were influenced by the RSV's interpretation in many places, (1) overall the NASB is a good deal more literal than the RSV, and thus it preserves the highly literal character that had made the American Standard Version so useful as a translation for close study. Also unlike the RSV, the NASB deliberately interprets the Old Testament from a Christian standpoint, in harmony with the New Testament.

The publication of the New American Standard Bible began with the Gospel of John in 1960, followed by the four Gospels in 1962, the New Testament in 1963, and the entire Bible in 1971. The Greek edition used by the NASB revisers was the 23rd edition of the Nestle text.

The NASB was gidely accepted by conservative churches in the years following its publication, but it was often criticized for its awkward and unnatural English. This was mostly a consequence of the version's strict adherence to the idioms of the original languages, whether or not they were natural in English. But in many cases the awkwardness serves no good purpose and is hard to tolerate.

In general, the words of Charles Spurgeon regarding the English Revised Version (the British counterpart of the ASV) might also be said of the NASB — "Strong in Greek, but weak in English." For this reason, many people used the NASB only for reference when doing close study, while using other more "readable" versions for other purposes. The version became a byword for conservative literalism among liberal critics, who often compared the NASB unfavorably with the RSV. (2)

For many years the names of the NASB translators and editors were withheld by the publisher. But in 1995 this information was finally disclosed. Below is the list of names posted on the publisher's website in 2002.

Original NASB translators
    Peter Ahn
    Warren Allen
    Gleason Archer
    Herman Austel
    Kenneth Lee Barker
    Fred Bush
    David L. Cooper
    Richard W. Cramer
    Edward R. Dalglish
    Charles Lee Feinberg
    Harvey Finley
    Paul Gray
    Edward F. Harrison
    John Hartley
    F. B Huey, Jr.
    Charles Isbell
    David W. Kerr
    William L. Lane
    Timothy Lin
    Oscar Lowry
    Elmer Martens
    Henry R. Moeller
    Reuben A. Olson
    J. Barton Payne
    Walter Penner
    John Rea

W.L. Reed
    Robert N. Schaper
    Moisés Silva
    Ralph L. Smith
    Merrill C. Tenney
    Robert L. Thomas
    George Townsend
    Bruce Waltke
    Lowell C. Wendt
    William C. Williams
    Herbert M. Wolf
    Kenneth Wuest
    Fred Young

http://www.bible-researcher.com/nasb.html

• Chalam
    Chalam

when I am looking at an apple I do not ask the apple pickers how qualified in apple picking they are to know whether the apple is good to eat. All I need to do is eat the apple.

A bible translations stands and falls on it's content no words are hidden

Most posters here will tell you they ate the WT apples for years. They looked juice on the outside, even tasted nice for a while. However, keep on munching and you will find what is in the core, rotten fruit full of maggots.

All the best,

Stephen

• Chalam
    Chalam

the version you use with it's impressive list of translators does it still use "Lord" instead of YHWH in the hebrew scriptures?

I am sure you know the answer already. It is LORD, not Lord.

If you didn't read my previous post in this thread, the Father is not concerned with having His name known to all mankind in the slightest. What He is concerned with is that everyone knows and calls upon the name of His Son, Jesus Philippians 2:5-11

Acts 2:21-22 (New International Version)

21 And everyone who calls
    on the name of the Lord will be saved.'

22 "Men of Israel, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know.

Acts 2:38 (New International Version)

38 Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 4:10-12 (New International Version)

10 then know this, you and all the people of Israel: It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified but whom God raised from the dead, that this man stands before you healed. 11 He is
    " 'the stone you builders rejected,
    which has become the capstone.' 12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved."

All the best, Stephen

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

when I am looking at an apple I do not ask the apple pickers how qualified in apple picking they are to know whether the apple is good to eat. All I need to do is eat the apple......Reniaa

Reniaa..

Some apple pickers don`t know the difference between a Tree Apple and a Road Apple (Horse Shit)..

You should really ask questions of the people,who pick apples for you to eat..

You`ve been eating WBT$ Road Apples (Horse Shit)..LOL!!

You would be surprised how good a Real Apple tastes..

Or..Perhaps your happy with eating WBT$ Road Apples (Horse Shit)..

Pony

...Road Apple Reniaa...

...........................LOL!!...OUTLAW

• TD
    TD
    now can we get back to specific scriptures in the NWT please?

John 17:3:

aute de estin zoe aionnios hina ginoskosin de ton monon alethinon theon....

NWT: This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you the only true God...

NIV: Now this is life eternal: that they may know you, the only true God....

The NWT rendering changes the subjunctive verb, "ginoskosin" into a noun; changes the verb "estin" into, "means" and inserts an entirely new verb; "taking" into the text that does not exist in the Greek above at all.

The result is the loss of the subjunctive mood entirely, (..that they may...) and more importantly from a Christian standpoint; the idea that a personal relationship with God is necessary for salvation. (As opposed to knowledge alone, which even the demons ostensibly have) Even within the framework of JW theology, this is a very poor translation.

Before telling me that Vine's gives "taking in knowledge" as a possible meaning of the present active form, "ginosko," try translating the NWT rendering back into biblical Greek.

• reniaa
    reniaa

HI chalam

so God changed his mind? he allowed his name to be written 7000 times then without explanation just let it slip out of usage, even though his son says things like.

John 17:25-26 (New American Standard Bible)

25 "O (A) righteous Father, although (B) the world has not known You, yet I have known You; and these have known that (C) You sent Me;

26 and (D) I have made Your name known to them, and will make it known, so that (E) the love with which You loved Me may be in them, and I in them."

trinitarians keep God the father nameless yet here Jesus says he has made his name known to them.

Matthew 6:9
    "This, then, is how you should pray: " 'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name,

again here is Jesus saying FATHER and hallowed be your name.

what name is he refering to? YHWH

So the father's name is YHWH! and so when deut says

Deuteronomy 6:4

4 Hear, O Israel: YHWH our God, is one YHWH. [a]

this is where trinity as a doctrine is destroyed completely biblically by Jesus's own words. Jehovah is one Jehovah which is beyond just say there is one God.

Reniaa

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

the NWT has a good reputation with unbiased scholars.

Reniaa, you've been asked to identify who these unbiased scholars are. It's a simple request. Since you've failed to do so I have to assume they exist only in your imagination. This is the sort of unfounded statement that causes many posters to view you as a pathetic joke.

W

• Chalam
    Chalam

so God changed his mind? he allowed his name to be written 7000 times then without explanation just let it slip out of usage, even though his son says things like.

Not at all John 10:30

I and the Father are one

See here too and countless other places that I have been over with you before John 14:9

4 Hear, O Israel: YHWH our God, is one YHWH. [a]

this is where trinity as a doctrine is destroyed completely biblically by Jesus's own words. Jehovah is one Jehovah which is beyond just say there is one God.

Once again, not at all John 10:30

I and the Father are one

As you no doubt know, the one God you are referring has the plural word for "gods" in the Hebrew 'elohiym Right back in Genesis 1 we have one God who is more than one?! Sounds exactly like the Trinity doctrine to me. Can I ask your explanation for the use of this word in the Hebrew? Maybe your CD-ROM can help? All the best, Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit