New World Translation, is it the best bible translation?

by littlebuddy 177 Replies latest watchtower bible

• reniaa
    reniaa

Hi farkel

I am not because john 1:1 doesn't work like that. in the end in that context we have 3 theos's and 2 refering to the true God have the ho theos with definite article and the one refering to the word is without the definite article. this is significant and means John was making a distinction between The God and the word.

this scripture is a qualative term at best and never identifies the word as The God.

You see I did look at the greek and you cannot put a definite article were one doesn't exist in the greek, even if you can pretend it is there in the English.

Reniaa

• Chalam
    Chalam

The WT have invented a whole new "language" and culture for their religion. To any born again Christian who first meets a JW, it seems like they are talking a foreign language when they talk about their faith, that certainly happened to me. This stems from the JW's almost exclusive use of the NWT and the WT teaching materials.

The reasons for all the new terms and "speak" are thus

1. To distance JWs from the real church.

2. To make sure that important core doctrines such as grace are not understood by the JW.

3. To work on the JWs pride, "we have the truth and you don't know what we are talking about, torture stake, theocratic warfare, paradise earth" and on.

All the best,

Stephen

• reniaa
    reniaa

lol chalam and psacramento

I am not going to have another stake debate on these forums but look to the original ones I had with leolaia, she herself will agree 'torture stake' and 'execution stake' are perfectly fine renditions even if she herself prefers cross for her own reasons. Cross is a third century word drawn later from stauros/xylon/crux which all mean stake or also tree in the case of xylon in their original meanings (they also carry the specific thought of being a instrument of execution and torture leading to death, as apposed to a piece of wood stake hence why the added word in english). but goto the debates specifically on stake if you are actually interested.

NWT is a good version of the bible no one has yet made a creditable argument, specifying any real problems with it's translation of particular scriptures or words. so I rest my case.

Reniaa

• JoJoJones
    JoJoJones

I just can't help getting the feeling that the WTBTS is backing itself into a corner, and it disturbs me that I still have family who are Jehovah's Witnesses, that there are any JWs at all. These people are all being misled, and that's terrible! Fred Franz was asked in a Scottish courtroom if he could translate a scripture in Genesis into Hebrew, which he wasn't able to do. I think the early translators knew Hebrew and Greek, so they knew what they were doing when they translated the Bible. Fred Franz and the other four men who interpreted the Bible with him just didn't have the language skills the earliest translators had. Renaia, I know I can't change the way you think or how you feel. But, the others of us here, as well as myself, at least most of us, just don't think the NWT is a truly accurate translation of the Bible. I'm sorry if I press your funny button with my replies, because it surely isn't a funny issue. Five men who didn't have Greek (except for Fred Franz, and he was limited) or Hebrew language skills gave you your Bible, and the more I learn about it the more twisted, inaccurate, and inconsistent it seems. Maybe it's futile trying to help you understand where others and I are coming from, but I just have to get my 'two cents' in. Oh, well.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Reniaa..

Leoliaa has publicly complained about you,twisting the information she posts..

.....................OUTLAW

• reniaa
    reniaa

HI jo jo jones

it is a fallacy to look at translators if modern bibles are just copying the assumptions made by unqualified translators centuries ago.

A bible should be judged on it's content and the NWT has a good reputation with unbiased scholars. obviously since 95% of christendom is trinitarian and so the majority of bible scholars will be trinitarian and looking for loopholes to support their viewpoint.

now can we get back to specific scriptures in the NWT please?

grace = undeserved kindness, this is straight from the dictionary and so correct no problems there.

anymore?

Reniaa

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Leoliaa has publicly complained about you,twisting the information she posts..

The JWs only real "skill" is their ability to deliberately twist things to their own advantage.

the NWT has a good reputation with unbiased scholars.

Name one, and show us his credentials.

W

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

NWT has a good reputation with unbiased scholars

Would you name these scholars please and give references? And would you provide the names of the scholars who did the translating for the NWT?

Coffee

• reniaa
    reniaa

hi coffee

can you name the original translators of your bibles not the ones from this century that just restamped them?

can we discuss specifc scriptures or words guys, rather than the red herring of going to the translators?

Reniaa

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

bla bla bla and you're just a crack ass bla bla bla

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit