New World Translation, is it the best bible translation?

by littlebuddy 177 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

can you look at a mirror reniaa?

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

if you dish it, you gotta take it! hypocrite

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    hi coffee
    can you name the original translators of your bibles not the ones from this century that just restamped them?
    can we discuss specifc scriptures or words guys, rather than the red herring of going to the translators?
    Reniaa

Quit dancing around it. You made a statement, and you are being called upon to back it up. If you can't back it up then you are a liar. W

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hello Reniaa,

I find engaging with you to be quite fruitless I am afraid to say. Here is a great example.

I am not going to have another stake debate on these forums but look to the original ones I had with leolaia, she herself will agree 'torture stake' and 'execution stake' are perfectly fine renditions even if she herself prefers cross for her own reasons. Cross is a third century word drawn later from stauros/xylon/crux which all mean stake or also tree in the case of xylon in their original meanings. but goto the debates specifically on stake if you are actually interested.

Personally I did not find the need to read the last cross/torture stake thread, all 13 pages of if or whatever it was. I would prefer to consult a Greek dictionary and look up the entry for stauros myself, it isn't really very difficult. However, you ignore the evidence presented and trust your own "understanding" and the poster you site.

NWT is a good version of the bible no one has yet made a creditable argument, specifying any real problems with it's translation of particular scriptures or words. so I rest my case.

I just made credible arguments in this very thread and cited real problems with the NWT translation of stauros and kurios yet you fail to respond directly to the reasoning and quickly "rest your case".

Anyhow, my wrestle is not against flesh and blood so don't take it personally Ephesians 6:12 1 Timothy 4:1-3

All the best,

Stephen

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

yeah, reniaa won that debate, don't you know (in her head)

• JoJoJones
    JoJoJones

Folks, can people agree to disagree without name calling, rudeness, and unkindness. These things are not productive, and they are hurtful, besides. I feel frustrated trying to make sense to Reniaa, but I am sure she is a fine person! Personally, I think you're all fine people. Name calling - - whew - - that accomplishes nothing, except bad feelings. To me, being diplomatic is essential in communicating here, or anywhere. Just a few thoughts.

JoJo

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi JoJo,

Well there are all types here.

As for myself, I try to follow this 1 Peter 3:15-16

All the best,

Stephen

• JoJoJones
    JoJoJones

I don't think it is a red herring to go to the translators, because I think they are important to scriptures and words in the Bible. They are pertinent to the scriptures, to the wording of them. To get a complete understanding of the Bible, I think it is essential to know who the translators were and just how well they understood Hebrew and Greek. I think it is something we can't get away from - - just who were the translators. Just my two cents again. :-) It's not avoidance or evasiveness, it's "wanting to make sure of all things". For the sake of complete accuracy.

• JoJoJones
    JoJoJones

Stephen, that's a good scripture. Thanks!

JoJo

• Chalam
    Chalam

it is a fallacy to look at translators if modern bibles are just copying the assumptions made by unqualified translators centuries ago

I don't know what versions you claim this is in regard to?!

Personally I have been using the ESV quite a bit. Meet the hundred memeber translation team yourself Translation Team

No they did not copy the previous work of the well respected and qualified translators that went before them.

Each word and phrase in the ESV has been carefully weighed against the original Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek, to ensure the fullest accuracy and clarity and to avoid under-translating or overlooking any nuance of the original text.

The ESV is based on the Masoretic text of the Hebrew Bible as found in Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia (2nd ed., 1983), and on the Greek text in the 1993 editions of the Greek New Testament (4th corrected ed.), published by the United Bible Societies (UBS), and Novum Testamentum Graece (27th ed.), edited by Nestle and Aland.

The currently renewed respect among Old Testament scholars for the Masoretic text is reflected in the ESV’s attempt, wherever possible, to translate difficult Hebrew passages as they stand in the Masoretic text rather than resorting to emendations or to finding an alternative reading in the ancient versions.

In exceptional, difficult cases, the Dead Sea Scrolls, the Septuagint, the Samaritan Pentateuch, the Syriac Peshitta, the Latin Vulgate, and other sources were consulted to shed possible light on the text, or, if necessary, to support a divergence from the Masoretic text. Similarly, in a few difficult cases in the New Testament, the ESV has followed a Greek text different from the text given preference in the UBS/Nestle-Aland 27th edition.

Manuscripts Used

All the best,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit