New World Translation, is it the best bible translation?

by littlebuddy 177 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

but the New testament is loaded with many biased renderings and outright mistranlations.

Call Jason BeDuhn and tell him which ones, because he says just the opposite - but then you perhaps are mosre of a scholar in Greek than he is?

:-)

• possible-san
    possible-san

TheOldHippie.

There is a thing which I want to ask to you.
    Are you an active Jehovah's Witness?

Well, I have not attacked the NWT.
    Of course, although I do not think that the NWT is the best ...

That is mere "translation."
    And in substance, that have not been revised since 1950. (That is English of 60 years ago.)
    And the current Watch Tower society does not have a person who can do that.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

"And in substance, that have not been revised since 1950. (That is English of 60 years ago.)"

For your information, it has been revised many times since then.

"And the current Watch Tower society does not have a person who can do that."

Well, then you are very well informed as to the inner workings, it seems.

• oompa
    oompa

old hippie......do some research on the "j" versions cited in the footnotes of the nwt each time the name jehovhah is used in the hebrew scriptures....the j versions are listed in the front of the reference bible....wt uses these old translations of the greek into hebrew to support their own changing the bible and adding the name jehovah....

this argurment is like saying...."hey, we were not the first to lie and write a fraudulant bible....the j versions did it first"..........oompa

i am amazed at how few elders know about the j versions, their purpose, and that nwt adds the name in NT where it is not a quote from the herew scriptures, which in itself is improper..........

• possible-san
    possible-san

TheOldHippie.

I said,

There is a thing which I want to ask to you.
    Are you an active Jehovah's Witness?

You have not answered to my question at all.
    I cannot understand well why you are not attacked from people, like "Ms. reniaa."

For your information, it has been revised many times since then.

I think that you cannot understand my explanation well.

I said, "And in substance, that have not been revised since 1950. (That is English of 60 years ago.)" Everyone of ex-Jehovah's Witnesses knows what you described.
    That is, 1961, 1970, 1971, 1981, 1984.

• Farkel
    Farkel

:That is English of 60 years ago.

Pray tell, what idioms in English have changed in a mere 60 years that would render words or phrases in 1950 which would create a misunderstanding of ANYTHING in the Bible?

Farkel

• Black Sheep
  • Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    Pray tell, what idioms in English have changed in a mere 60 years that would render words or phrases in 1950 which would create a misunderstanding of ANYTHING in the Bible?

How about the word "Groovy"?

• possible-san
    possible-san

Farkel

Since I do not speak English at all, I cannot state in detail.
    But don't you know that "spoken language" has changed with the period?

In Japan, the "discrimination word" (Discriminatory terms) has been deleted.
    Probably, also in English translations, I think that there is such an example.

For example, ...

Mark 8:34 (RSV, Copyright 1946, 1952, 1971)
    "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me."

Mark 8:34 (NRSV, Copyright 1989)
    "If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me."

Luke 2:52 (RSV, Copyright 1946, 1952, 1971)
    "And Jesus increased in wisdom and in stature, and in favor with God and man."

Luke 2:52 (NRSV, Copyright 1989)
    "And Jesus increased in wisdom and in years, and in divine and human favor."

Rom 1:13 (RSV, Copyright 1946, 1952, 1971)
    "I want you to know, brethren,"

Rom 1:13 (NRSV, Copyright 1989)
    "I want you to know, brothers and sisters,"

possible
    http://godpresencewithin.web.fc2.com/

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Oompa - I know that.

Impossible-san, you say that "Since I do not speak English at all" - So you know nothing about English, but still you maintain that it has changed considerably during the last 50 years, in fact so much that a Bible translation from the 1950s now is impossible to understand correctly? You never stop amazing me!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit