New World Translation, is it the best bible translation?

by littlebuddy 177 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TD
    TD
    I'm not sure I understand the comparison to Franz....do you mean he may have decided against going to a seminary because the way things are taught there?

That was the idea. --Big difference between a church and a university setting. For me, 1st semester was grammar and basic translational exercises. 2nd semester core text was 1 John. Lots of excursus into the theological significance of the book in relation to the rest of the Bible all distorted by the Protestant notion of the Bible being a single monolithic work. I stuck it out, but went to a real university for a second year.

--But I'd forgotten that Franz was just taking what was available at the University of Cincinatti and not actually making a choice. -Also he didn't come across the Bible Students until his sophomore year, so there really isn't a vaild comparison.

• TD
    TD

Hi Narkissos,

At the website below there is an article where someone (Apparently a JW) argues for compiling a database of all the instances where a particular Greek expression is used and then using that as a basis for translating an ambiguous or problem text. (The text in this instance is Rev 3:14; a passage of some significance for JWs.)

http://www.truetheology.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=91

The operative idea seems to be that since the entire Bible is actually written by God, we should find a certain consistency in how He expressed Himself. The author even includes the LXX in this database (!)

To me, this seems like Adolph Knoch on steriods. It epitomizes the very worst of letting religious notions color one's approach to translation. People that can actually allow their religious beliefs to take a back seat to common sense sometimes seem to be a rare breed :-)

• Leprechaun
    Leprechaun

Have as many translations as possible, stop becoming a robot and start thing for your self, a true student of the bible uses many translations to prove if this or that is so.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

which is exemplified in WT publications, even though the NWT is typically their point of reference these days. A search in WT index regarding translations/ versions/ paraphrases of the Bible should prove this to be so.

• tarsus
    tarsus

I've had this list for a while and don't remember where I got it but this is the translation team.

Frederick W. Franz VP

Nathan H. Knorr President

Albert D. Schroeder

Karl Klein - Writing Department

George D. Gangas - Greek Speaking Turk National

None of the above have any training in Biblical Languages and none are Greek Scholars.

• Ding
    Ding

I don't know of anyone outside the WTS who considers the NWT to be a good translation.

Some don't consider it to be a translation so much as a biased revision.

Most have never heard of it.

• freydo
  • TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Aside from the altered renderings of many scriptural verses, the NWT is just a pain to read. It does not flow and make some things appear different than the writers intended.

Quick example of altered texts

Romans 9;5 - {of the Jewish race,} according to the flesh, is Christ, who is God over all, blessed forever.

Romans 9;5 of the NWT - Christ [sprang] according to the flesh: God, who is over all [be] blessed forever.

Which one is correct? Check with the interliniar.

How about reading it? Quick example of a lack of flow.

1st Psalm reads 'Blessed is the man who walks not in the cousel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night.

1st Psalm NWT reads ' 1 Happy is the man that has not walked in the counsel of the wicked ones,
    And in the way of sinners has not stood,
    And in the seat of ridiculers has not sat. 2 But his delight is in the law of Jehovah,
    And in his law he reads in an undertone day and night.

Reads in an undertone day and night? That sounds like something you wouldn't want to do, doesn't it?

And to answer another point brought up, the answer is NO. No other group or organization uses or endorses the NWT as an accurate rendering of the Holy Scriptures. At least, I don't know of any other group.

respectfully,

dc

1 Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
    2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night.2 but his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night.
    1 Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
    2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night.2 but his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit