Wars, earthquakes and famines are not signs of the end

by Doug Mason 107 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

In the late 1960s and early 1970s, I wrote my study, “1914 and all that”. In it, I stated that at Matthew 24 Jesus warned his followers against seeing wars, earthquakes and famines as being signs. I have not wavered from that position, which I have given in my posts here at times.

In that Study, I showed that under the heading of “The History Of Eighteen Centuries Briefly Foretold”, Charles Russell showed that he too believed wars, intrigues, famines and pestilences mentioned in Matt. 24: 6-13; Mark 13: 7-13; Luke 21: 9-19; were simply a natural part of the world’s long history, during which the “true Church” would be persecuted. (Millennial Dawn, Volume 4, pages 566 – 568.)

Russell wrote: “Thus briefly did our Lord summarize secular history, and teach the disciples not to expect very soon his second coming and glorious Kingdom. And how aptly: surely the world's history is just this, — an account of wars, intrigues, famines and pestilences — little else.” (page 566)

I see no reason to amend my position that Jesus was warning his disciples against considering wars, earthquakes and such as a sign of the end. Anyway, nowhere does Jesus mention size, extent, number of casualties, intensity, and so on. He simply told them, don’t be alarmed by them, they are not signs of the end.

While “The Message” is a paraphrase of Scripture, I believe that its rendering of Matthew 24:4-8 does reflect Jesus’ intent.

Jesus said, "Watch out for doomsday deceivers. Many leaders are going to show up with forged identities, claiming, 'I am Christ, the Messiah.' They will deceive a lot of people. When reports come in of wars and rumored wars, keep your head and don't panic. This is routine history; this is no sign of the end. Nation will fight nation and ruler fight ruler, over and over. Famines and earthquakes will occur in various places. This is nothing compared to what is coming.

I have provided pages from a Tyndale commentary that addresses Matthew 24 at:

http://www.filesend.net/download.php?f=0b10fc3cb9a2fc050896ce708418839c

I included some of the Commentary’s handling of Matthew 23, since that chapter bears on chapter 24.

This is a well-considered Commentary, and its views at Matthew 24 on wars and such is well presented.

Doug

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Doug Mason:

Thank you Doug! Keep em coming!

N.

• Frank75
    Frank75

Very simple passage when you take off the Watchtower Rose colored glasses....

What theif would let the householder know he was about to break in and rob them?

More importantly to me is why would Jesus condemn as "wicked" a generation that "keeps seeking for a sign" (Matt 12:38) and then proceed to give his followers a detailed sign to live in expectation of and like JW's keep seeking?

Frank75

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

Doug Mason,

You are correct. Anyone that can read and does not live in fear of so called religious leaders controlling them should be able to see this. And using these verses to judge the WT's false interpretation of these verses is also correct That is what we should all be doing as disciples.

Joseph

• reniaa
    reniaa

I cannot agree with you these are clearly markers to watch for as Jesus's words show this.

Matthew 24:7-8 (New International Version)

7 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of birth pains.

What are birth pangs? they are the signs of birth coming, that labour is starting, they are warning to look for. Birth may not be for a while yet but birth pangs are a warning to be ready for it. To grab your bag, jump in the car and get doing the breathing exercises with your wife.

Reniaa

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Unless it's false labour!

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

lol cog.

I read recently that the book of Matthew was written during the last quarter of the 1st century and after 70 CE. If this is true then it makes sense to see the conversation between Jesus and his disciples, that Reniaa alludes to, as an attempt to make sense of end time warnings/preoccupations and not to take them too seriously as "the end is not yet"

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

the little one is still in the womb, alive and kicking, and will do so until it can come out for air

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

like the "real life" soon upon us

• reniaa
    reniaa

at the end of mathew 24 Jesus summerises his point with a parable.

mathew 24 :45"Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time? 46 It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns. 47 I tell you the truth, he will put him in charge of all his possessions. 48 But suppose that servant is wicked and says to himself, 'My master is staying away a long time,' 49 and he then begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards. 50 The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. 51 He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

showing this is all about keeping prepared and not falling into bad thinking. That the master will not return for a while yet and so getting into wrong practises. the wise servant that did things in the proper time was rewarded.

this is about keeping prepared and recognises the signs from the birth pangs onwards of Jesus coming so he finds you doing your job even if he is unexpected.

Reniaa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit