As a JW Did other Witnesses Annoy you by Condemning " Worldly Music" ?

by flipper 66 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

Wow ! Excellent replies from you all ! Cool stuff. Isn't it amazing how controlling the elders were over us ? Making us throw music away !?

ALBERT EINSTEIN- Pretty crazy that brother bragging about throwing away Beatles albums because they were demonic. The Beatles were saints compared to the governing body of the WT society ! It's truly amazing how controlling the WT society tried to get in banning music among people. Michael Jackson because he was dissassociated, but even Bach ? Classical music ? Ridiculous. All of their banning procedures.

WHA HAPPENED- You are right this cult does stifle creativity. That is ridiculous the elders were so controlling to you and wife # 1 in picking out music for your wedding reception ! I liked your expression, " Where was my what the hell ? " alarm ! Good question for all of us when these things happened to us.

BLOOMIN MARVELOUS- So even your Bible study conductor went through your record albums and told you to throw stuff out ? Incredible. Hope you get some of your music back !

JERKOVAHSWITLESS- Don't feel bad for condemning some who listened to rap music ( don't like rap myself too much ) - I condemned people who listened to Kingdom melodies ! LOL! Hey you liked punk music, that's cool , there was some good music out there ! I'm glad you are getting caught up watching R - rated movies. There are some really good ones out there with great actors in them.

BLACK SHEEP- I'm glad you didn't get baptized either ! I don't see anything wrong with the picture you show on the King Crimson album cover ! The guy just looks a little stressed, that's all. Your mom vandalized it ? She must have thought the guy on the cover was demonized or something. Witnesses are so scared of demons !

SASS_MY_FRASS- I'm glad you were able to re-purchase all the music you threw out after baptism ! Good for you.

JANKYN- It is crazy ! I had one brother question my JW wife asking her, " Do you think mr. Flipper is having spiritual trouble because of the music he listens to ? " What a weirdo he was . I totally understand why your brother got out of the witnesses being condemned listening to Kiss. Crazy. Your dad and me sound like we have similar musical tastes ! I'm a big Robert Cray fan ! Love his bluesy guitar .

STARTINGOVERNOW- Interesting experience. It's so true when witnesses would condemn us for listening to certain music - they usually were watching bad T.V. programs or doing something considered quite scandalous themselves. Pretty hypocritical. It was annoying that ANY of them felt they had a right to rummage through our stuff and personal belongings !

WARMASASUNNED- This elder who thrashed his younger brothers Michael Jackson " Thriller " album - sounded like an " elder from hell ". Once again this elder blaming music for how the " demons got into " the guy who had sex with an underage teen . Oh brother. This guy( the elder ) sounded like a real fruitcake !

TWITCH- Hendrix was awesome ! Sounds like you had really controlling parents as witnesses. Sorry they were so controlling on you I was a bit luckier- my parents didn't control my record collection - don't think I would have LET them ! Yeah, most witnesses want to sit around and sing kingdom songs - not something any bass player wants to be jamming with for sure !

FOUR CANDLES- I'm glad you kept your freedom of mind and independence and kept listening to what you wanted to music wise. I was the same way. Nobody was gonna tell me what to listen to musically ! Freedom is good.

QUIRKY- The elders made you throw out your kids music AND Harry Potter movies !! ?? Where is the sanctity of family life ? Where is the home a free place to live when creepy elders sneak into your home ripping your own childrens movies from them ? Bastard elders . I think most of them are minature Satans running around with very small penises. The nerve

• startingovernow
    startingovernow

Condemning worldly music!My study conductor went through my CD collection and made a pile of what I had to get rid of! And being a good girl- I did!Trying to remember what I got rid of so I can get it all back Bloomin x

Bloomin, sounds like you might have the same study conductor I had, or at least someone I used to know

• Dagney
    Dagney

My argument as a teenager was Sinatra was as immoral as any rock star. The classical composers just as much.

So my parents let it lay, and just didn't want to have to hear it.

Although, I did find the jacket missing from a couple of albums. One that had the zodiac names of the performers on it, and one where a girl was smoking. LOL. She threw the jackets away but left the vinyl records. Kinda cute really.

• Bubblie
    Bubblie

Cute Dagney, I love they were protecting you from the evil album covers, huh? I threw away so many vinyl albums but didn't stop there. I scratched the records with a metal pen to ruin them. I didn't want anyone else to be corrupted by them. Yeah, where was my WTF button. I must have turned it off completely.

Kit

• oompa
    oompa

i tried to burn the old kindom melodies albums and they would not light....not even with gas....lol

i actually got into it with an elder once after a wedding where i played a song popular at the time and the bride and groom liked.....it was funny southern rock.......dammit cant recall the name, but video was funny too.."no huggy no kissy til i get a weddin ring.....dont give me no lines and keep your hands to yourself".........

i stood my ground!......hell the chorus actually was urging morality!!!!!...oompa

• cawshun
    cawshun

Do they still feel that way today about what music jws are listening to? Some of the music my sil and daughter have on their ipods could probably get them in some serious trouble.

• brinjen
    brinjen

Oompa... that sounds like George Thorogood and The Destroyers 'Keep Your Hands To Yourself'.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Then in 1982 the WT came out with an article talking about Satanic symbols on record albums - and many people in my congregation went nuts throwing out ANY record albums which might contain spiritistic pictures on the albums ! Paranoid freaks.

As a young converted adult JW, I had already chosen heavy metal and hard rock as my favorites.
    The JW's my age or slightly older got me believing in the existence of the Satanic symbols and the backwards messages.

I drifted for years because I thought the stuff I liked was evil. I would occasionally secretly listen to my favorites when in the car by myself.

I stopped worrying about doing it secretly years before I left.

• brinjen
    brinjen

And on the topic... yep, got lectured BIG time for Madonna ( I still remember my mother looking like she was about to suffer a heart attack when she saw the album cover for 'Like A Virgin' ). An elder who was at our congregation but had since moved apparently lectured another young witness girl into not liking her anymore... she was "immoral". A sister in my congregation said she must be posessed by demonz cause no one would be so "obsessed with sex" otherwise.

Aussies may remember the song 'Solid Rock' by the band 'Goanna'... my JW grandmother chucked a fit when she saw the video which was just a live type performance of the song.

For reference...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV_0Mf9YcyA

And of course there was the sister (that I mentioned in another thread) who forbid her children from listening to Julian Lennon's 'Saltwater' because she thought the line 'we are a rock revolving around the golden sun' was a reference to evolution... yeah, she wasn't too bright.

• parakeet
    parakeet

In the late 60s, I liked soft rock (forgive me; I was young and foolish.). But even as bland as my music choices were, the elders didn't like them. When I said, "soft rock," they said, "oh, you mean 'mud'".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit