As a JW Did other Witnesses Annoy you by Condemning " Worldly Music" ?

by flipper 66 Replies latest jw friends

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I remember with wife #1 we had to sit through a week of music listening with an elder for the reception. Sometimes when he was unsure, he would consult with other brothers on " Worldly music".

Where was my what the hell alarm?

• JerkhovahsWitless
    JerkhovahsWitless

When I was a gung-ho idiot, I was guilty of condemning other Witlesses for listening to rap.

At the same time I would listen to seditious punk rock bands. The taste in music carried over with me after I put on the new cult personality. Only this time I would mute the cd when the song said a bad word. If there were too many swear words I would skip the track and if the song was blasphemous at all, I wouldn't listen to it.

Now I listen to all the potty words and sing along, especially the blasphemous songs

Ew, this was around the time I stopped watching R movies and was highly judgmental of those who did. I still haven't caught up on all of the R rated movies I wanted to see but didn't during the time I was mentally living in the Dark Ages.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

You are all reminding me how wonderful it is that I never got baptised.

I have everything I ever bought except for the cover of my King Crimson album that my mother took a dislike to. I couldn't understand why she vandalised it. It wasn't rude or demonic or anything.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I threw out some great CDs when I was baptised. A couple of years later I bought them all again.

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

Oh, yeah, this was a big issue. My df'd dad was a huge rock-n-roller (Stones, Byrds, Dylan) which of course led to my own great taste in music (Springsteen, Tom Petty, Bonnie Raitt, Robert Cray). Get it? Basically, pretty tame folk- and blues-based rock.

You'd have thought we were freakin' devil worshippers.

But then my youngest brother got into KISS, and the whole Kingdumb Hell had a fit about it. He was "unapproved association" for quite awhile. And now they wonder why he left.

• startingovernow
    startingovernow

Yes, even though I was legally an adult, I had a "sister" look through my music and start looking for something wrong. She just about fell over when she saw the title of Erasure's "Witch in the Ditch." I don't know what makes me more mad, the fact that she felt like she has a right to point out any "bad" music I owned, or that I didn't know enough to say that "music is a personal choice, please keep your opinions to yourself." To this day I don't really know what the song was really about, if anything, and it doesn't really bother me. It's like saying just because witches are bad (if that is what one believes) that we shouldn't even say the word. Trouble is, this sister loved the Disney movie, Alladin. And she loved the Chicago song "Stay the Night" and said it was a "cute" song, even though it is all about being alone with a member of the opposite sex. The more I think about situations like this I'm reminded how far from learning the Bible I got when I was with JWs. It was more about rules - following them, policing them, and hoping one didn't get caught breaking them.

• warmasasunned
    warmasasunned

i know an elder who loved to make his younger bros life a living hell...

he bragged to me "i got that brother of mine to smash the thriller album, well its demonic"

and then went on to admit when he was a teenager he had the sgt pepper album...

the same elder was involved in a situation with a very good friend of mine whos wife had sex with an under age teen, they went round and blamed it on his record collection,saying "thats how the demons got in", it broke his heart to smash his sixties record collection, but he had to "because of the demons". his words not mine.

i lost some great albums mainly beatle stuff...what freedoms we take for granted now.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Yea, I had a nice collection of vinyl in my teens, lotsa hard rock/metal, some new wave, all kinds really. I was huge into Hendrix at the time and my dad asked why I admired this known drug fiend. I said he had more talent in his pinky finger than anyone you know. Not impressed

When I was 16 or 17, the folks had a sitdown with me and my collection and threw out anything that was remotely "evil". Even threatened to take away my bass guitar which I had just started to learn at the time. A sad day as I recall. I moved out as soon as I turned 18.

To this day they still remark about the brothers who play instruments and that I should get together with them. As if they'd play or do anything I'd be interested in, lol.

• four candles
    four candles

It was a big thing in the 70's and 80's with debasing music talks and hints about what we should and shouldn't listen to. I generally ignored it and still listened to what I wanted to. Got Angel witch on now,great metal band,with a bit of Motorhead and girlschool to follow.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Oh for the love of Pete...the freakin' elders had me go thru all my childrens shit and throw out their music and Harry Potter collection..WTF!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit