As a JW Did other Witnesses Annoy you by Condemning " Worldly Music" ?

by flipper 66 Replies latest jw friends

• Balsam
    Balsam

SANTANA album "Evil Woman" was considered evil music in 1972. Dumb ass me threw the cover away which showed this black naked nun on the front. I had just became a witness and was told that album was not theocratic and I should get rid of it. I loved and and slipped the record in another cover "The Beatles" and continued to play it when I was alone.

Ruth

• bluecanary
    bluecanary
    SANTANA album "Evil Woman" was considered evil music in 1972.

Ugh. Reminds me of the sister who thought that Santana's name was meant to reference Satan. I believe that the majority of dubs are intelligent people who got conned into wacky beliefs but they also have their share of as$-munching morons.

• bonnzo
    bonnzo

brinjen, oompa, that song was by the Georgia Satellites, not george thorogood.

you're welcome!!!!

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I think what got me more than being condemned for listening

was going to hear musi LIVE.

I will never forget the fear I had just a few years ago, when

I went to see Dave Matthews Band live!!!

I kept going to the concet to myself, but I did see a kid

from the hall there!!

We both had that shocked look, and hey

it's cool!!

• brinjen
    brinjen

bonnzo you're right... think I need a new thinking cap

• flipper
    flipper

STARTING OVER NOW- These study conductors were SO aggressive and intrusive ! Incredible.

DAGNEY- Good point. Sinatra was as immoral as any rock stars ever were ! Hope you were able to buy the albums again and replace your record covers ! LOL!

BUBBLIE- Wow - you scratched up your records so nobody else would be damaged by them ?? That cult really had control of you for sure.

OOMPA- Burning old kingdom melodies must have been fun ! They didn't burn ? Perhaps the kingdom record had demons possessing them - it's why they didn't burn ! LOL! Did the records SCREAM at all when you burned them ? That really would have indicated demons ! I'm glad you stood your ground at your wedding reception ! It was your reception- the elders pretend it's theirs !

CAWSHUN- I don't think they are paying as much attention to what young people listen to anymore regarding music. They just sing their kingdom songs and they are pacified like being on valium in a trance. The only way they'd get into trouble or counseled would be playing it loud enough for elders to hear it out in service or something.

OTWO- It is amazing how superstitious Jehovah's Witnesses are , and how they try to cram that fear inside all of our brains . I like your symbols in your post. Isn't that symbol off of a Led Zeppelin album ? I'm glad you got over the guilt the witnesses forced you to feel over just listening to music. Long live all popular music !

BRINJEN- Man, I bet you JW mom freaked out seeing Madona's first music video's . But once again witnesses accused Madonna of being " possessed of demons . It's an easy out so they don't have to face their own music ! Satan's to blame for Madonna's high sex drive ! LOL! That's funny !

PARAKEET- The elders busted you for listening to bland / music ? What bafoons ! They are WAY too controlling.

BALSAM- Santana was a great classy artist ! Still is ! The elders found something wrong with his stuff ? Just insane.

BLUECANARY- That was incredibly lame for witnesses to think Santana had Satan's name.

PURPLE SOFA- So you got condemned for going to concerts even ? Man these guys controlled every aspect of our lives. Dave Matthews band was great ! Don't see how the elders could find Dave Matthews debatable ? He's one of my favorite performers and group. They just love controlling everybody that's all

• JerkhovahsWitless
    JerkhovahsWitless
    OnTheWayOut - As a young converted adult JW, I had already chosen heavy metal and hard rock as my favorites.
    The JW's my age or slightly older got me believing in the existence of the Satanic symbols and the backwards messages.

You reminded me of this CD I own. I always thought the caption on it looked like it was taken from some crazy fundamentalist literature. I didn't know until a few years ago when I was looking through an old Awake that I kept from back when I was a witless music nazi where the caption possibly came from.

*** g94 9/22 p. 6 Satanism’s Handmaidens—Drugs and Heavy-Metal Music ***
  • DJQuimica
    DJQuimica

My parents did not mind most music, but not KISS. I had to keep those at a friends house and bring them home in different album sleeves so that my Mom wouldnt see them. She didnt speak that much english, so it wasnt the lyrics that bothered her, but the album covers, oh boy.

Especially when they told her KISS was Knight In Satans Service. No KISS for me.

DJ_Q

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I can't even name all the albums I got rid of....but 2 I recall were.....Led Zepplin stairway to heaven, and The Eagles-Hotel California.....I bought

them again though they were my favorites....

Remember the oh....play stairway to heaven backwords crap.....

And Crowley on the stairway in the cover Hotel California.....

h4o

• truman
    truman

I knew a 'brother' who, when he became a JW, got so sensitive about "music that debases" that he threw away "The Sound of Music" soundtrack because it was about a governess who had a romantic affair with her employer!

As far as music exerting an influence on JW youth, my son said the music of TOOL was one of his exit strategies. Although I would have disapproved at the time had I known what he was listening to, I found their music valuable myself as I was leaving the JWs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit