As a JW Did other Witnesses Annoy you by Condemning " Worldly Music" ?

by flipper 66 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They told me (this was back in the late 1980s) that 80% of all popular music was "bad". Not 80% of heavy metal, punk rock, or rap--popular music. Usually, because it had something that hinted at sexuality--which rendered a lot of innocent songs "bad" which caused me no problems whatsoever while I was in the world. Among them were Steal Away and Hot Rod Hearts, Angel of the Morning, More Love, Come Back, I've Never Been to Me, and even such obscurely "suggestive" songs like Upside Down by Diana Ross.

It was pretty obvious after the fact that they had the intention of using me as the example. When I pointed out that some of the "suggestiveness" was very wimpy or that it took a lot of imagination to find the "problem" (and I never saw the song that way), or that I had been listening to the song for years (and in some cases, more than 10 years) without a problem (including when I could have gotten myself a belly full of beer in college), they told me that I would stumble others if I had the music in the privacy of my home or on headphones--so I had to get rid of music that I had listened to without incident anyways.

And yes, I got it back on CDs. They didn't like my one Led Zeppelin album, so I got their whole boxed set (the famous 4-disc one). They didn't like Journey--so I got their boxed set, plus the likes of Judas Priest, Slayer, Megadeth, and Skid Row. No Van Halen--I got their material (including the ones that did worship the Devil--I found one Devil worship Van Halen song and bought it). They don't want me listening to Prince (the pre-witless Prince), so I not only got his CDs from his pre-witless era, but I got Eminem and 50 Cent as well (along with all the filthiest rap I could get my hands on). Culture Club is supposed to be on horse, so I got some rap that glorifies selling horse (Bonafide Hustler by Young Buck, to be specific). And I got all those CDs that they were speaking out against, just out of spite.

And as many Christmas songs as I could dig up.

• cawshun
    cawshun

Flipper, thank you for responding to my question. I want to thank you for always answering those that respond to your post, your very polite and I appreciate it.

cawshun

I credit the Witnesses with turning me on to the Sex Pistols and punk rock, in the 1970s. I had never heard of the Sex Pistols or punk rock, but apparently some of the elders had. They were very concerned about this new phenomenon known as "punk rock." They were so concerned that they called a special congregation meeting and showed us film strips of the Sex Pistols. At that meeting, they advised us that punk rock was the worst thing ever in music; it was bad enough that bands like Led Zeppelin were singing about that evil emotion known as "love," but now a whole new genre of music was geared towards hate. They said that the Sex Pistols and other punk bands were known for vomiting, spitting, and urinating upon their audience. That was all they needed to tell me, as an oppressed pre-teen. I bought the Sex Pistols "Never Mind The Bullocks" album the very next day, and hid it from my parents. By the time I was in high school, my head was shaved and I had multiple "bad associations." It was kind of funny; after years of being told I couldn't have long hair, the parents got pissed that I now had short hair. I guess the real issue was that JWs are not supposed to dress/groom in a way that is modern; you are supposed to look "out of style" so that you can get picked on even more than you already were as a JW.

I still listen to punk rock, the Sex Pistols, and other "worldly" bands. I'm still friends with the same "bad associations" I had 30 years ago. And, I stil remain free of the mental bondage of the Watchtower corporations.

• flipper
    flipper

JERKHOVAHSWITLESS - That's a hilarious looking CD you posted ! Very funny . Looks like it's saying " good riddance " to the JW lifestyle ! Funny.

DJ QUIMICA- That's too bad you had to hide your KISS albums in different sleeves just to sneak them home. It's amazing how our parents disliked our music.

HOPE 4 OTHERS - I'm glad you bought back your " Stairway to Heaven " and " Hotel California " albums - yes, they are great classic albums ! It was crazy what people would say about " Stairway to Heaven " being Satanic . It's still my all-time favorite song ever ! I never get tired of it.

TRUMAN- Wow ! The brother threw away the " Sound of Music " soundtrack ?? What's next ? " Mary Poppins " ?? Good god - these people sure were strange. I'm glad the group Tool's music helped you and your son exit and move on from the JW cult. I listen to lots of music on my CD player when I'm driving - it helps me cope with the stresses of life very much so.

WT WIZARD- That's too bad the elders were hellbent on using you as an example saying you would " stumble " people with your music. They were too intrusive towards all of us. I'm glad you got back your music on CD's though. Good for you.

CAWSHUN- Thanks for the kind words- I appreciate it. I just value everything people have to say. Everybody has a take that's important. And the rare few that I don't get along with on the board - I'll give them a couple few tries, and if they continue being obstinate - I just ignore them. LOL! All you can do ! Thanks !

144001- It is weird how the elders would condemn us for listening to groups that sang about love. Then they'd condemn us for listening to groups that sang about death and hate. The WT society just likes to condemn period . That was funny how your parents got pissed that you had long hair, then when you wore it short, that pissed them off as well ! I found that being raised by a dad who was an elder- I could never really please him , I think because he could never do enough or please the WT organization enough. So he'd transfer down the pressure to perform ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I understood why they felt as they did. But for me, I just listened to what I wanted to anyway. I figured "to each his own." I guess the insistance on playing ridiculous Kingdom Melodies for wedding processionals was kind of embarrassing. I didn't realize that some faiths do this, other than Jehovah's Witnesses.

• flipper
    flipper

FLYINGHIGHNOW- I'm glad you just listened to what you wanted to listen to anyway. The kingdom songs drove me insane ! LOL! To this day either " House to House " or " Firm and Determined " will inadvertently slip into my head if I'm not careful ! Makes me want to run off setting my hair on fire ! LOL! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes - pissed me off big time - so I used to go and play Led Zep 4 to make a point

• flipper
    flipper

STILLAJWEXELDER- I hear you ! Led Zeppelin 4 is a classic ! My elder dad was always wondering what I was listening to on my headphones- little did he know it was Black Dog ! " Hey , hey mama say the way you move, gonna make you sweat gonna make you groove ! " What he didn't know didn't hurt him . LOL! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• stillin
    stillin

y'all are starting to worry me! I've been collecting vinyl for some time no( Zeppelin, Stones, Doors, Hendrix) One of the elders stuck his nose into my collection not too long ago and only got as far as Beatles and let it rest. I'm going to have to be a little more guarded about things. I don't want a problem over something so stupid. I'm learning to choose my own battles.

• dinah
    dinah

This was the main thing that pissed me smooth off as a teen. Thank God I had my Dad. Of course Mom would always try the guilt trip thing and tell me that music would lead me away from Jehoober and make me fornicate. I never had to throw anything away. Mom hated that I had KISS albums. Actually Dad wasn't that crazy about KISS but I liked them so he put up with it.

I do remember the first time I thought they were full of crap was during a DC when they were picking on Rock. This woulda been around 1982 or so. They mentioned "Sympathy for the Devil" by name. My first thought was that they had never even heard the song they were bitchin' about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit