Is God's name absent in the Christian Scriptures?

by Spike Tassel 163 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

I remain in fear of Jehovah and am not in fear of contrarians or those who adhere to superstitions. Thanks for all of your input.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

then you should also be in adherence to his words regarding adding to his word.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Spike,

May I ask, why you "remain in fear of Jehovah" ?

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Spike,

Would it be okay for us to just use the designation "Father" when we pray to God instead of "Jehovah" or "Yahweh"? That was what Jesus did. True, in a couple of his prayers he spoke of the "name" of God, but that's the closest we can get to any use of a "name," a reference to God's "name." In most of his prayers he simply uses "Father."

So, is it okay for Jesus' followers to imitate his example and just use "Father" when addressing God in prayer? Is just an occasional reference to something like "glorifying your name" or "hallowed be your name" enough when they pray?

• Chalam
    Chalam

Spike T-I remain in fear of Jehovah and am not in fear of contrarians or those who adhere to superstitions. Thanks for all of your input.

Proverbs 9:10 (New International Version)

10 "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom,
    and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.

Who is the Holy One? Jesus, get to know Him

Luke 4:34 (New International Version)

34 "Ha! What do you want with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are—the Holy One of God!"

Who is the fountain of life?

Proverbs 14:27 (New International Version)

27 The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life,
    turning a man from the snares of death.

Proverbs 19:23 (New International Version)

23 The fear of the LORD leads to life:
    Then one rests content, untouched by trouble.

Jesus, go to Him for life eternal and a spiritual drink of the Holy Spirit

John 14:6 (New International Version)

6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

John 4:13-14 (New International Version)

13 Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

Revelation 21:6 (New International Version)

6 He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life.

All the best, Stephen

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

All very nice speculations but none of them are scriptural, there is no scripture saying to no longer use Jehovah's name quite the contrary, And so Jehovah stands as God's name until such a scripture happens. Any speculation on Jesus name or actions somehow replacing this is just reading into the scriptures your own viewpoint, explanations and justification.

I've never said that people should not use "Jehovah" or "Yahweh." I use it occasionally myself. Having said that, we have to accept the fact that the Divine Name was not emphasized in the New Testament, by either Jesus or his followers.

Even in the New World Translation's translation of the Greek Scriptures the name "Jehovah" is not emphasized. For example, as I've already mentioned, Jesus never utters "Jehovah" in any of his prayers. In fact, how many times does Jesus say "Jehovah" when he's not quoting the Old Testament? I did a search once and came up with only 3 possible places in the NWT where Jesus says "Jehovah" apart from OT quotations. The rest of the time Jesus uses "Father" and "God" when talking about his Father.

How many times does the name "Jehovah" appear in the book of Philippians in the New World Translation? Or in First Timothy? Zero. In several other books of the NT in the NWT, the name "Jehovah" appears on a scale much less than it does in many OT books.

Can you imagine a Watchtower study article that did not contain the name "Jehovah"? Or, someone praying at a Kingdom Hall and not saying "Jehovah"? Or, someone who mainly only used the name "Jehovah" when they were quoting from the Old Testament, but not in their everyday speech?

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

and the chattering continues …

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Well, Spike, it was nice chatting with you. I wish you the best in your spiritual life and hope we can discuss more another time.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Cabasilas...even further....even IF we were to accept the 237 insertions of Jehovah into the NT in the NW Mis-Translation...the name Jesus still appears over triple that number....well over 900 times...

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Yes, the internal evidence of the New World Translation of the Christian Greek Scriptures is against the idea that Jesus or the early Christians emphasized the name "Jehovah" in their everyday speech or in their worship.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit