Is God's name absent in the Christian Scriptures?

by Spike Tassel 163 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

I disagree.

• Chalam
    Chalam

I disagree.

OK on that we agree :)

See, if Jesus is not God, but "a god' then the verse should read something like 7 but he was made nothing

Then there is verse 6.

6 Who, being in very nature God,
    did not consider equality with God something to be grasped
    7 but made himself nothing,
    taking the very nature of a servant,
    being made in human likeness.

Once again, to me it is straightforward, is says Jesus is God but He didn't hold to that and He humbled Himself and came in human likeness to serve.

I do not need to jump through semantical hoops of "God" and "a god".

All the best,

Stephen

• designs
    designs

The trinitarian jesus- 'worship me or i'll torture you for all eternity'

Swell

Have pity on the fundamentalists, they are one pitiable group.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH AND “THE NAME” In Acts “the Name” is almost invariably that of Jesus. Men were baptised in this name (Acts 2:38; 8:16, etc.). Men were healed in this name (Acts 3:6,16; 41:10,30, etc.). Even “some of the itinerant Jewish exorcists” knew that the name of Jesus was used in exorcism (Acts 19:13 ff).

Salvation is associated with His name (Acts 10:43; 22:16), and with this name only (Acts 4:12). Men receive forgiveness “through his name” (Acts 10:43). So it is that men “call upon” this name (Acts 2:21; 9:14, 21). Men might in the name (Acts 4:17f) speak boldly in it (Acts 9:27, 29), teach in it (Acts 4:18, 5:28), or preach concerning it (Acts 8:12).

Paul was to “carry” the name before Gentiles and kings and children of Israel (Acts 9:15), and to suffer for it (Acts 9:16). Apostles rejoiced “that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name” (Acts 5:41). Barnabas and Paul “have hazarded their lives for the name of our lord Jesus Christ” (Acts 15:26). Paul declared himself ready to die for the name (Acts 21:13).

Contrariwise, the persecutions of the church in which he had once engaged could be described as doing things “opposing the name” (Acts 26:9). Small wonder that the name of Jesus “was extolled” (Acts 19:17), and that believers could speak of “the honorable name” by which they were called (Jas. 2:7). When they became known as “Christians” (Acts 11:26) they were associated with this name. The bearer of such a name was clearly regarded as no less than divine.

“Nothing more graphically illustrates the high place accorded to Jesus than the fact that prayer was offered to him ... (Acts 1:24; 8:24; 10:14...7:59, 60). Men address their prayers to God. Those who prayed to Jesus obviously had a very high regard of His Person.

“Perhaps we should see the high point of all this in the way in which Old Testament passages which refer to Jehovah are applied to Jesus. This is done in Acts 2:21, where Joel 2:32 is used of Him. We see it again in 1 Peter 3:15, which should be taken as RV, “sanctify in your hearts Christ as Lord”, and is clearly an application of Isaiah 8:13, “Sanctify the Lord of host himself”. In similar fashion 1 Peter 2:3 may well be an application of the words of Psalm 34:8. This is a phenomenon common in the New Testament and when we consider how jealously the position of Jehovah was safe-guarded by those who worshipped Him, we are able to see something of the high place they accorded Christ.” (The Lord from Heaven, Leon Morris, pages 656)

“All who everywhere are calling upon the name of our Lord, Jesus Christ.” 1 Cor. 1:2

“This is (God’s) commandment, that we have faith in the name of his Son Jesus Christ.” 1 John 3:23

“You have borne up for my name’s sake” Rev. 2:3

“You keep on holding fast my name” Rev. 2:13

“Do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus”. Col. 3:17

“That the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you.” 2 Thess. 1:12

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hello designs,

Maybe we should read the NWT...

NWT Revelation 14: 9 And another angel, a third, followed them, saying in a loud voice: “If anyone worships the wild beast and its image, and receives a mark on his forehead or upon his hand, 10 he will also drink of the wine of the anger of God that is poured out undiluted into the cup of his wrath, and he shall be tormented with fire and sulphur in the sight of the holy angels and in the sight of the Lamb.

Strange how the "translators" do no insert the word "Jehovah" here even though they choose to render the same theos as "Jehovah" in other places.

http://biblos.com/revelation/14-10.htm

Anyhow, we know their doctrine states "Jehovah" is the one and only true God.

All the best,

Stephen

• designs
    designs

serpents and dragons and locusts oh My!!!

Never met a Fundamentalist who could figure out a simple hyperbolic metaphor. Tis a pity.

• Chalam
    Chalam

It is simple who they are, the bible says so clearly.

Revelation 12:9 (New International Version)

9 The great dragon was hurled down—that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him.

Revelation 20:2 (New International Version)

2 He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years.

All the best,

Stephen

• possible-san
    possible-san

Chalam.

Strange how the "translators" do no insert the word "Jehovah" here even though they choose to render the same theos as "Jehovah" in other places.

I think that your comment is each empty.

The translation "The Book of Yahweh" has restored "Yahweh" in that part (Revelation 14:10).
    http://www.amazon.com/Book-Yahweh-Assorted-Colors/dp/189096722X/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247494641&sr=1-5#

In that case, do you praise that translation?
    Even if it restores the divine name or does not do, you do not praise such translation after all.

P.S.
    Please also look at the translation "HOLY NAME BIBLE."
    You can read "Daniel" and the "Revelation" of that translation.
    That translation is placed in the website of SDA.
    http://www.sda-online.com/public/DANIEL-REV.pdf

possible

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi PS,

Yeah cool, "Yahweh" is cool for me in the OT, I dig that.

Have they inserted the name in the NT as well? From the "look inside" it looks as if they might have?

If so we could have the same name problems regarding salvation as we do with the JWs. Are the authors of this bible "Yahweh's Witnesses"?

As for the OT name, "LORD" is cool too. "Jehovah" I don't dig so much because of the JW heresies but as a name it is fine.

All the best,

Stephen

• possible-san
    possible-san

Chalam.

Are the authors of this bible "Yahweh's Witnesses"?

They are people who speak English.
    They live in the same English speaking areas as you.
    You can investigate all by yourself.

I do not live in English speaking areas.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit