Do You Consider yourself an Atheist / Agnostic / or Christian? Reasons ?

by flipper 83 Replies latest jw friends

• leftbelow
    leftbelow

Welcome

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

Good point, poppers. I agree, and yet I'm still driven to find labels.

Reminds me of the Buddhist teaching of anatta, or no-self. The idea of trying to create or understand a self-identity is seen as spiritually limiting and inconsequential to happiness.

• snowbird
    snowbird

She is Girl From County Hell.

Sylvia

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I try to follow Jesus. I consider myself a Christian.

BTS

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Does he pay rent, Six?

Not since 1919.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Spiritual Humanism

A religion based on the ability of human beings to solve the problems of society using logic and science.

Most people need a religion to help guide them through life's challenges and difficult moral decisions. Recognizing how the power of religious rituals, methods, and communication can impact human behavior, Spiritual Humanism fuses traditional religious behaviors onto the foundation of scientific humanist inquiry.

While it is impossible to remove age old traditions from human culture, we can redirect them by redefining their underlying significance and meanings. Spiritual Humanism is natural, not supernatural. By using a method of scientific inquiry we can define the inspirational, singular spark inherent in all living creatures.

--------------

What I personally take from this is that rituals/traditions/holidays serve innate human needs. When discontinuing belief in a God, it is not necessary to discard these practices.

Generally I strive to be a good person, make the most of the 'gift' of life by seeking satisfaction, and try to make the world a better place. If one day God makes herself and her wishes known, and she's worthy of worship, she'll be glad to see what I've done with her gift.

Here are some principles I tend to agree with (for the most part): http://www.spiritualhumanism.org/rituals.htm

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

Flipper said:

Also- I enjoy helping others without thought of being rewarded for it. It always bothered me that in " Christianity " a reward or brownie button of eternal life ( heavenly or earthly ) had to be bestowed upon all the faithful for being kind to others. Hey - I thought - Here's a concept - why not just be kind because it's the right thing to do ? It makes for better relations with others - they benefit, you feel good about yourself and there are no strings or rewards attached ? The reward is you sleep good at night for helping other people ! That's all - not complicated no frills , just a fulfilling life enjoying others because you wat to and it makes for happiness. Not because you are TOLD to do it, or ordered to do it. Since being out of the witnesses I've felt more fulfilled and happy than I've ever been !

Sadly, you are all too correct. This can be said of much of Christianity in general. They approach their "faith" for what they can get out of it. Just like someone that approaches marriage for what they can get from the other: money, hot sex, whatever. A marriage partner should be chosen for love and companionship. People should approach God for the same reasons.

I believe in a literal, physical Hell. I don't believe that it is a place of fire and eternal physical pain. It is a place of seperation from God. If you don't want to be with God - fine, He won't force you. Regardless, I would NEVER start by telling someone they are going to Hell.

I spend considerable time and money helping other people. When wifey is not with me, I can't pass a hitch-hiker without picking them up - regardless of what they look like. I don't look for rewards from anyone - including God. If He choses to honor me in the future, that is His business - but it is not my motivation.

The point is this: A Christain that serves God and man out of love only will be the happiest person. Unfortunately, they can be hard to find.

• leftbelow
    leftbelow

She is Girl From County Hell.
    Sylvia

Sorry my spelling is not very good or should I say my copying is not very good. lol

Thanks for the correction

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Mad Dawg.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I believe in a literal, physical Hell. I don't believe that it is a place of fire and eternal physical pain. It is a place of seperation from God.

In your opinion, will this physical Hell be any worse than our present condition? Or, another way of asking it would be, since I'm not presently aware of any non-separation from God, will the actual separation be easy to recognize?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit