Do You Consider yourself an Atheist / Agnostic / or Christian? Reasons ?

by flipper 83 Replies latest jw friends

• mkr32208
    mkr32208
    Anyway, I did it and within days I recovered and haven't looked back since. Call it what you will.

Self delusion? Psycho babble? Idiocy? Actually I shouldn't say those things (notice I didn't erase them though) Here's the thing most serious drinkers have serious self esteem issues so you can't take credit for getting a 900lbs monkey off your back. You can't say 'I got serious about my drinking problem and I beat it.' You have to make up crap like this. YOU did it. Not jesus. Now if you said I prayed and this guy appeared with a halo and white robes and a baseball bat and every time I went to take a shot he beat me and kicked me and smashed me in the teeth... After a few weeks I just stopped drinking, and after the severe thrashings I received at Jesus's hands just LOOKING at a bottle of booze gives me the shakes... Well then we would listen to this crap but that's NOT what happened this is what happened.

You were clearly desperate enough that you called on someone who you felt could would should help you even though it went against all your beliefs as a JW. You can say 'I did it as a lark' but I call bullshit. If you were willing to call on Jesus as a JW you were at rock bottom. Jesus didn't help you, he's not real. You helped YOU to stop drinking. Congratulations are in order for YOU not some non existent carpenter from 2000ish years ago.

So stop sniveling stand up and be proud of what YOU did.

• allelsefails
    allelsefails

I think he was a carpenter 2,000 yrs ago that said "Why can't be nice to each other?" Great Idea for a religion if you ask me. But not helping people beat booze - He's been dead for 2,000 years.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

And he DID turn the water in to wine... Jesus is NOT a good place to turn to beat drinking!!!

• flipper
    flipper

GRETCHEN 956- None of the above. Cool. I'm glad you are happy.

FHN- Agnostic and a belief in God that's cool. I too am part native American and possibly believe in a " great spirit" - but I just don't know. I don't worry about it. Just try to be a decent person. I feel Karma will treat me good or bad in the end , depending on my treatment of others.

MKR 32208- I like the 900lb. monkey comment. I think most of us as ex-witnesses have been getting that 900 lb. monkey off our backs for some time now.

ALLELSEFAILS- Jesus certainly HAS been dead for over 2,000 years. Unless we believe the J-dubs that he's ruling in heaven. Which I don't by the way

• 00DAD
    00DAD

I wish I'd saved the source of this quote, "The WTBTS creates more atheists than any other religion".

Their indoctrination is SO good at disproving the validity of other religions, that once you stop believing in THEM, then there is nothing left to believe in ... except of course,

"Everyone should believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink!" - WC Fields

• flipper
    flipper

00DAD- Didn't realize this thread had been bumped up ! Good point that the WT society proves the invalidity of other religions - so most of us ex-witnesses ARE agnostic or atheist

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

Technically agnostic, but I say for the sake of convenience atheist. Namely because when I say that philosophically "god" cannot be proven or disproven, people assume I mean there personal theistic god, which I don't. I refer to a deistic necessary existence that begins a contingent universe or universes, or perhaps something more like spinozan deism. Religious theism is an insane relic we haven't managed to get rid of as a civilization yet. Having some obtuse father figure protecting us in ways that we cannot suss out with any logic or reason, only with subjective emotion is just an infantile security blanket that we are beginning to outgrow as a species. But if I say I am agnostic then that means to most religious people that I am "on the fence" and maybe I will accept jesus, but I'm just not dog gone sure about it yet! That train left the station, so for the sake of simplicity I just say "atheist."

• flipper
    flipper

Didn't realize someone had bumped up this thread a couple months ago ! Sorry Jonathan, for not catching it !

JONATHANH- - I hear what you are saying about people needing a " security blanket ". I feel that believers in God need that as well. I don't fault them for it, if it's something people feel they need to hang onto something in life or gives them hope- then good for them. I'm just personally not one of those people. I trust myself and my own intuition and logic and mind. I am agnostic also, might be a great spirit in the sky, there may NOT be- but I don't sit around losing sleep over it or worry about it. It's not gonna affect my life one way or the other. I've still gotta live

• JRK
    JRK

I am an apathist. I don't give a shit about religion or God.

JK

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

JRK, there was an article I saw a while ago, forgot where, that states your stance is the largest growing group, in terms of belief.

They described this group of non-affiliation to any religion, belief as the "Nones".

I am agnostic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit