Is the Governing Body the Only Channel of Communication between God and Men?

by UnDisfellowshipped 96 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

Circular reasoning plain and simple. I couldn't have written a better example of circular reasoning. It is sad that so many fall victim to this logical fallacy, and act like they've found some secret path to God.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Spike, just by your being here you have declared yourself to be an independent thinker...you're fooling no one here (except for Reniaa) but yourself.

Josie

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

Spike Tassel (Post 74) re mrsjones5 (Post 9495): I agree that Reniaa and I and various others here are, indeed, "independent thinkers" (according to the defintion you proved in your Post 9494), yet dependent upon all of Jehovah God's words and principles (Mat.4:4,7,10) as we try to be true in our worship to the Most High and not fool ourselves (though we each remain imperfect works-in-porgress).

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Hm sounds like you're trying to have it both ways Spike just to prove you're right. It matters not to me how you define yourself, though me thinks you're trying to hard too sound oh so righteous and running in circle to do so.

Josie

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

Spike Tassel (Post 77) re mrsjones5 (Post 9500): I'm not Jehovah God, that I should be proved true or right. My exercise here is to improve in my ability to listen to others for the good they may help us understand, and to articulate sound thinking as best I can.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Duh Spike, no one said you were God and no one here expects you to be perfect...this is not the kingdom hall. I can appreciate your trying to be as articulate as you can be but circular reasoning and anything that smacks of bOrg doctrine doublespeak just ain't gonna cut it.

Josie

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Reniaa said:

"This is one question I particularily dislike because it is a made up wrongdoing by apostates, you poisoned it a little too, they actually say they are on behalf of Jesus"

To call me or other former Jehovah's Witnesses "apostates" is a name-calling propaganda tactic. Why did you need to resort to that here? Have you read what the Awake had to say about this tactic?

"Name-Calling. Some people insult those who disagree with them by questioning character or motives instead of focusing on the facts. Name-calling slaps a negative, easy-to-remember label onto a person, a group, or an idea. The name-caller hopes that the label will stick. If people reject the person or the idea on the basis of the negative label instead of weighing the evidence for themselves, the name-caller’s strategy has worked." (Awake, 6/22/2000, Page 6)

"Tyranny of authority, ridicule, name-calling, smears, slurs, personal digs—all such tactics are marshaled to assail your mind and take it by storm. Sound evidence, reasoning, logic? The propagandist’s deadliest foes! He therefore attempts to rout reason and stimulate passion. As emotion rises, judgment declines; and, under the lash of stinging words and reckless rhetoric, the mind is herded along." (Awake, 8/22/78, Pages 3-4)

So, Reniaa, let's stick to logic, reasoning, evidence, and debate, okay, instead of name-calling or personal attacks.

You correctly say that there are false teachers out there, so we need to stick to what the Bible says. I agree absolutely.

Reniaa said:

"And because Annointed in JWs are the only Ones actually teaching and spreading the message of Jehovah through Jesus His son their king to the whole flock and then we ourselves also to non-witnesses then yes I do think they are unique in this and can call themselves the sole channel if they want too, Triune christianity teaches a Different God and a different message in a different way but they also say they have the truth of it too!"

But how do you know they are teaching the truth from the Bible? Did you do a personal study of the Bible and THEN choose to become one of Jehovah's Witnesses? Or, did they do a study with you in Watchtower publications?

Let me ask something important: The Watchtower teaches that you can only understand the Bible correctly with the help of publications put out by the Governing Body and the Society. But, how can you ever be like the Bereoans and check to see if they are teaching the truth, if you cannot understand the Bible without their help? (Acts 17:11)

If we cannot understand the Bible on our own without the Watchtower publications, then there is NO WAY that we can ever check to see if their teachings are true or false, because they would automatically be true by definition then.

Did the inspired Paul or Peter ever teach that people could not understand the Scriptures without their explaining it to them? If not, then why does the non-inspired Governing Body teach this?

What are the Scriptures that convinced you personally that the Governing Body is God's only channel of communication today?

Reniaa said:

"if you are literally the only ones...show me one other Christian faith that acknowledges Jehovah as God?"

I could show you several. There are Baptist churches that preach about Jehovah God, and Catholic churches that teach about Jehovah God. There are also Sacred Name Movement churches and Messianic Jews.

There were MANY churches before Russell and MANY churches since Russell that teach about Jehovah.

Reniaa said:

"Jesus is the ultimate judge and while we can have confidence the message we teach from the bible will save us, we still leave it upto Jesus to make that judgement on all of this multiplicity of Christians faiths teaching totally different messages ones that even conflict with bible teachings."

Watchtower publications have gone back and forth on this doctrine.

There have been NUMEROUS Watchtower articles and books that have declared that if you do not obey the Governing Body as an active, baptized JW and do "good works" you will be destroyed by Jehovah at Armageddon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit