Things that Annoy Me in Grocery Stores - How About You ?

by flipper 89 Replies latest jw friends

• beksbks
    beksbks

Josie, Grocery Outlet yes, WinCo, no. But we can go see my mom, there's one there.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I hate self-check out. It almost never works without needing to get a staffperson to help me. It just makes there be fewer lines with actual registers and of course, those lines would be longer.

I always get behind someone who has to get help from an employee. Just scan the product and put it in the bag. It's not that difficult.

Sorry, but it doesn't take much for the machine to lock up and say that it needs assistance from an employee. If it thinks an item hasn't been put in a bag when it has, it will give up and lock itself out. It is a pretty useless system, at least the machines they use here. They seem to be way overconcerned about shoplifting that it makes them very difficult to use smoothly.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    The woman kept sighing and making huffing noises because the checkout clerk had to bag my stuff using my *Special Bags*.
    Republican

So true, beks.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I refuse to use the self check out. If I have to do the work than I expect a price break. Why should I do extra work just to increase their profit margin? I can't see any benefit in it for me.

W

• beksbks
  • JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I am thinking you all should send me to the grocery store for you. I LOVE to shop. I love to talk to people, look at what is in peoples carts, discuss with my daughter what kind of dog they have (yeah, but standing in line for a long time is kind of boring, right?). I am probably the person that drives you all nuts(except w/o the big butt). I am in my happy place at Safeway. Or Costco (I should totally get a book club started there).

I don't ever use the robo-cashiers. Always more trouble than they are worth, #1 and #2 they are taking away good paying jobs from people (that you probably like!) I rarely use coupons, but always think I should. I have been known to come in the store for cilantro and leave with $120 of things (really good meat and cereal sale, don'tcha know!)

• beksbks
    beksbks

Girl! You in Cali??? Safeway? Costco?

Josie and I are planning a major shopping trip. Where are you?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I don't know about her but I'm in Cali....this is the store I usually shop at: http://www.piazzasfinefoods.com/

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    I refuse to use the self check out. If I have to do the work than I expect a price break. Why should I do extra work just to increase their profit margin? I can't see any benefit in it for me.

I don't like them either, but they replaced the express lanes in the grocery store I shop at. It's either use the self-checkout, or wait in the regular lines.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Meijer used to time us from the time we started scanning the first item all the way through the transaction. We scanned and bagged the groceries. Hate to say it, but people who asked for paper or had their own bags slowed us down too much. And then we'd get haulded into the office for being under the 95% target. If we got hauled in more than three times, we were to be fired. So, I absolutely hated it when someone would ask for paper and then the next five people would get this prissy look on their faces and say, "Well, I want paper, too." Generally, most people asked for plastic. But if there was a paper person, often others would insist on it like they thought it was the royal treatment. I didn't get as irritated with the self baggers because most of them helped open their bags and hold them open and to actually bag the items.

I recycle my plastic grocery bags. I use them for waste basket liners. I use them to bring lunches to work and all kinds of things. I understand that people are concerned about plastic, but it takes trees to make those paper bags. And it could cost your cashier her job if she has to bag your groceries and you slow her down too much asking for paper bags and taking a long time to get out your money, ID, etc.

I used to think people in SW Michigan were the most polite people, until I had to scan and bag their groceries. When people are forking over a big percentage of their paychecks for food, papergoods, toiletries, etc., they can get quite grouchy and mistreat the cashiers. I was buying Andy something in the Meijer Gas station the other day. A man who wanted gas for his motorcycle was impatient for his credit card approval on his pay at the pump. He ran in and demanded that the cashier approve his card. She didn't have time to say a word before he said, "Oh yeah, well I'm in a damn hurry and you could at least approve my f84759ing card! Okay, well then great, I'll just pay with f(&(&ing cash!!" Then he threw the money at her. As he was walking out, Andy and I both said, "Yeah, it's herrr fault the credit card machine won't approve your card."

For your cashiers and store employees:

• Try to shop when you have time and are rested and in a decent mood. Make sure your kids are rested, not hungry or sick if it's possible. That's for your kids' sake.
    • Bring your smile and your patience with you. Smiles are contagious and 1 out of every 50 customers smile at the cashier. I've had entire weeks when no one smiled at me, save a baby or child.
    • Be patient with your fellow shoppers. They have just as much right to take their time as you do to be in a hurry.
    • Try to be sure your items have prices on them and barcodes that are visible.
    • If you have coupons, be sure to tell your cashier before she finishes your transaction and be sure you have them all sorted and ready. She will usually ask you once she has scanned your groceries, "Do you have any coupons or bottle slips." It will make her happy when you can hand them right to her. She will scan them and her computer will tell her if the coupon is out of date, etc.
    • Have your card, money, gift cards and checks ready.
    • If she asks,"Paper or plastic?" Ask her if she is being timed and which is quicker for her. If you have your own bags, open them for her if she is bagging her own groceries. Smile at her and appreciate that it's harder for her to use your bags, but she won't mind if your sweet and helpful.
    • Ask her "How is your day going?" She is supposed to thank you. You might try thanking her as well. These days, unless you're shopping Costco or a good union store (Meijer is union but pays newer cashier $7.80 per hour), most of your cashiers are making minimum wage. Many of them just lost jobs they've worked at for years making a lot more money.
    • I liked it when someone would see my name tag and address me by name.

I am so glad I do not work as a cashier now. But it was fantastic exercise, scanning and bagging. Now I do sales and demonstrations and roadshows and special events. I still get people who forget their manners, but this is mostly on Friday-Sunday when the store is packed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit