Further Punishements

by passwordprotected 103 Replies latest jw experiences

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Shamus there really is no need for that. Why resort to ad hominem attacks? Apart from being poor debating it's just plain rude.

• besty
    besty

Ye I would prolly have said

"Fine no problem."

and never asked them again. ever.

But then again I am shunning my mum and she seems happy to exchange emails with me so I'm not a family relationships expert :-)

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

reniaa, respect for someone's beliefs is the key. It must be a two way street. I personally have no problem respecting someone's beliefs provided they:

1. respect my beliefs, or lack thereof.
    2. don't try to impose their beliefs on me.

If passwordprotected had any reasonable assurance that his beliefs would be respected he may not have felt the need to withhold information, even though it was information they were not necessarily entitled to. If Jehovah's Witnesses expect others to respect their beliefs they must be willing to reciprocate. You can't condemn someone else's beliefs while demanding respect for your own and still expect to be taken seriously.

The inconsistency of JWs application of their beliefs poses another problem. For example, my ex, a longtime pioneer who served where the need was greater, had no issues going to a Mormon Tabernacle Choir concert at the Roy Thompson hall in Toronto, and dragging me with her. (I had no interest in it). Another JW might have been "stumbled" by it. She went and enjoyed the performance without "worshiping" another god. (I tried my best to fall asleep)

When we were JWs we quickly learned to keep our mouths shut when issues fell into "grey areas", because we ran the risk of being condemned by some JWs while being patted on the back by others.

W

• Gayle
    Gayle

My nephew just graduated high school with honors and planning to go to college. He was throughout the years made aware (had seen, heard and read letters) of his JW grandmother's judgmentalism toward my nephew's mom and his dad who he totally respects and appreciates. For his graduation, he made it informed that grandma was not invited to come to his graduation. Maybe she wouldn't have come anyway because of her JW opinions but apparantly she was surprised. My nephew is a loving and respectful person, but grandparents have to realize also what goes around for the comes around.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

It's not a "religious" event, it's a musical one. For many years, the Witnesses sang traditional religious songs and thought nothing of it. Then, they decided that they needed to further separate themselves from mainstream Christianity.

I've always believed that was mainly affectation. I've been to Witness get together where music was played that was "worldly" or even religious in nature as long as it didn't offend Witness beliefs.

A couple of our elders were very good musicians and we'd have singing get togethers. It didn't bother any of them to play "Down to the River to Pray" as they'd all heard it on the "O, Brother, Where Art Thou" soundtrack and loved it.

What's the difference? Several of the JW Kingdom songs also praise Jesus, if you'll read through the lyrics.

This isn't an act of interfaith unless you're being really nitpicking...not that I personally now have too many objections to ecumenicism. I wouldn't join in worship with some people I thought were too judgmental or legalistic in their worship, but I've learned that labels don't make Christians.

I think some Witnesses try very hard to be Christian, and some don't. They're no different than any other religion in that sense. 36 years of experience tells me that. But, you'll never convince me that they have the lock on "true Christianity" as a body. I now believe that's a very individual thing.

The music that makes you feel spiritually uplifted may not always be at the Kingdom Hall.

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

During my brief time attending a church (Holy Trinity Brompton, Knightsbridge), the music was just incredible - it made me very emotional and was a real credit to the people involved - I remember being bowled over by the professionalism of it. Sounds like you'll have a good time PP. If we were around I'd babysit for you!!!

There's another member of this board who's had the same experience as you although her mum has come to her senses and admitted that any babysitter that sat for her kids when they were young never asked where she was going. She also accepts that this girl is no longer a JW and so what she does is completely her business. If the elders want to get involved, they can (this girl is not DF/DA'd). The mind control hasn't quite hasn't quite destroyed her reasoning ability obviously.

It's quite incredible how mean and unreasonable they can be whilst thinking they are doing the right thing. Cognitive dissonance at its very best. Any normal human being would view this as totally ridiculous.

Enjoy the concert. Hopefully one day your folks will wake up.

• iknowall558
    iknowall558

Last thing you need after yesterday.

Does your mum and dad need to know what certificate the film is when you're going to the cinema ? Do they need to know the amount of violence or bad language or demonic content before they agree to babysit for you?

Does your mum and dad need to know what you're going to have to eat at the restaurant? Do they need to know you're not going to have black pudding and that everything else has been bled properly?

I can't believe they would actually give up time they could spend with their grandchildren just to make a point to you and Gail. I just find that so sad. Should they not be glad that you've not left the 'truth' to sink into a life of debauchery.

Your life is about committment , right behaviour and freedom. Theirs is about commandment , right belief and obedience. It' sounds like nothing more than a power struggle from them.

RENIAA Would you feel alright about this if the situation was reversed? What if your parents refused to babysit your kids because you were asked to a Jehovahs Witness social event, purely because they don't agree with JWs and what they teach?

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

During my brief time attending a church (Holy Trinity Brompton, Knightsbridge), the music was just incredible - it made me very emotional and was a real credit to the people involved - I remember being bowled over by the professionalism of it. Sounds like you'll have a good time PP. If we were around I'd babysit for you!!!

Hark at you! HTB! No ordinary wee church for sweat pea, eh?

Yeah, the music is usually pretty good in church. Quite against who I once was, I now play the guitar in the praise band at our church. As Iknowall, Ninja and Hobo Ken can attest to, this isn't completely the opposite of what JWs would expect of me.

I enjoy the sound of praising God through music. It's sort of been hardwired into us, I think, and is never fulfilled with any of the Kingdom Songs.

Thanks for the offer of babysitting, btw, we may take you up on that sometime!

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Here's a thought. My parents go to the Proms each year. Don't they have religious songs at the Proms?

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

grandparents have to realize also what goes around for the comes around.

This is an excellent point. I've tried to get my parents to see this, that what they reap, they will sow. If they are continually disrespectful to me, the father of their grandchildren, there will come a time when my children will lose respect to for them.

For example, we didn't hide from our oldest son that it was his JW grandmother who didn't want us at the wedding reception yesterday. Why should we keep this from him or let him think somehow we - or worse, he - was to blame?

I think the JWs need to realise their actions come with consequencies. As we have been told often, you knew what to expect when you left...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit