Further Punishements

by passwordprotected 103 Replies latest jw experiences

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

so reniaa, let me guess what you mean....

if my catholic brother asks me to babysit his kids, because he wants to go see the pope. I should chastise my brother and tell him to find a catholic babysitter?

how ridiculous is your drivel?

do you have kids?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Mark that wasn't a very reasonable thing your parents did. But then the Jehovah's Witness religion is not reasonable. As long as we interact with Witnesses we can expect this sort of thing. People can be reasonable or they can be good Jehovah's Witnesses: they can't be both. If they are made to choose between being reasonable or being good Jehovah's Witnesses we know we are inevitably not going to like the answer. You can judge better than anyone else whether your parents responded like this because they really believe it would harm their relationship with Jehovah or whether there was an element of spite against you. If they acted that way purely because they did not want to displease Jehovah then I would be inclined to give them a break. If that is what they genuinely believe then they are as much victims in this situation as you are, and to be pitied rather than despised. Another question is are you prepared to make allowances for your parents acting unreasonably because of their religion? Maybe sometimes proving yourself to be in the right can be a poor substitute for letting yourself be wronged.

• mraimondi
    mraimondi

the reason they are angry is because you are going to a religious event... and you hid it from them...

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

when a JW is approached by the elders and given an ultimatum. they will choose the elders over YOU.

sometimes it backfires. Remember the video on the whole congregation from Sicily, ITaly that broke off becoming "apostates".

it started over a mother being told to shun her apostate son.... well, we know where it led too!

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/174177/1/WHOLE-CONGREGATION-LEAVES-Please-translate-ITALIAN

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    the reason they are angry is because you are going to a religious event... and you hid it from them...

So what? He alone has the right to decide if it's any of their business or not.

Just because a person doesn't feel the need to explain every move they make to others doesn't mean they're hiding something. It might just mean it's no one's fucking business in the first place.

W

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I think you're getting mixed up with theocratic warfare, that's something JWs practice, not apostates.

• shamus100
    shamus100

This just reenforces the view how terrible witness parents are. They demand respect when they disrespect, and it's never about the other party - just themselves.

Nothing more than selfish pharisees.

I would never get witnesses to babysit for me, but maybe your parents aren't the nutjobs like Reinna that would probably read bloody fairy-tales of armageddon to them for a goodnight story.

• caliber
    caliber

Finally free it's one of those situation were respect for another persons beliefs especially family member would mean more openess and if they find out and decide to refuse, password has no real reason for complaint
    I think you're getting mixed up with theocratic warfare, that's something JWs practice, not apostates

In the spirit of discretion need all things be explained ?

tact: the good judgment and sensitivity needed to avoid embarrassing or upsetting others

• - freedom to decide: the freedom or authority to judge something or make a decision about it
    • - confidentiality: the ability to keep sensitive information secret
  • Encarta World English Dictionary Sample sentence for the word discretion ..........The english witness lady decide in the spirit of discretion not to tell her witness friends and Elders that she posts on an Anti-witnesss internet site .
  • Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Of course, what's good for one should be equally good for the other. If they ever go on an overnighter to a convention you could refuse to house-sit for them on the grounds that they are attending a religious function you don't approve of.

W

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Did I need to, point by point, outline our evening's activities? My request was that they babysit for us on Saturday evening as we were going to a concert. They didn't ask "what concert?" and I didn't tell them. My father saw an item on the nightly news about Praise Gathering and left me a voicemail stating, in a reprimanding voice, that if that's where we were going, they could not consciously babysit.

They didn't ask if that's where we were going, they stated they wouldn't babysit if it was.

Now, I could have lied and said, "what? Praise Gathering?! No! Yuck!! Of course not!". But I didn't. I took my son instead.

Conversely, I could have asked, in the email, for them to babysit while we went to Praise Gathering. If they'd objected, that's fine.

I'm thinking, "don't ask, don't tell".

All has ended well, as I've already stated; my son got to go to the concert and he loved it. My wife got to go to the concert this evening. I'm told that the Sunday evening event is the best of the three nights. We were winners on all counts. The only losers were the Jehovah's Witnesses. And yes, that's sad as I know my parents love babysitting our children. But, they made their choice.

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit