Not having a paradise earth in the future makes me sad - What about you?

by BonaFide 85 Replies latest jw friends

• Brocephus
    Brocephus

Earth is F-ckd up and JW's are F-ckd up. How can they say they do not belive in Hell. Being stuck on Earth with nothing but JW's is eternal torment. Really what could be worse... Oh wait... I know.. if you don't survive the tribulation and you are resurected you have no nuts, and you have to watch some jack ass from the KH bang your beautiful wife... IT'S HELL!!!!! JW FRIGG'N HELL..... OK guys I am hitting the red wine again... Where the hell is OOMPA? I miss his Avatar and drunken rants.

• DeanOs
    DeanOs

Interestingly, J W's (so-called) FOUNDER: C T Russell, never spoke of people who 'belonged to an ORG' 'surviving' through Armageddon

This gobbly-gook was an appendage from Rutherford. It is not Biblical. It does confuse. It is what has here evidenced itself on this thread to be what is most discouraging and 'at DIRECT odds' with the idea of Paradise. The Divine Plan and ALL the early Towers .. up until circa mid-1920's DID NOT treat of an 'impending destruction'.. and a life in Paradise basically ONLY with other ORG-anites! Never. These are incongruous with God's nature. What they are ARE the carrot on the end of the "ORG-stick" to keep its followers loyal to themselves (the G B, and formerly Rutherford) and the "why!" Russell's teaching in "The Divine Plan OF The AGES" had to go, to become 'old light'. . He taught the "Restitution of ALL" , that ALL would have a Ressurection .. and pre-eminently it had to do with a correcting of the nature of man to become more like that of His own.

www.biblestudents.net/africa/

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

No. Towards the end of my time as a Witness, I found the so-called paradise presented by the Watchtower Society to be rather frivolous. It is always portrayed as an American Suburban Utopia for the entire world. Perhaps this is done on purpose to attract converts in developing countries.

In more recent years I did a lot of reading on energy, agriculture, and the origins of human civilization. I have read about the ecological reasons for the collapse of past human societies as well as possible methods for creating sustainable communities. So, I could imagine an eco-utopia of a sort, but even this is a virtual impossibility due to our evolved behavioral patterns.

Long before I left the Witnesses, probably as much as ten years ago, I simply realised that I could never be good enough to get past Armageddon without an extra helping of "undeserved kindness." It was then that I quit trying really hard and basically did the minimum required to remain in the congregation. When I finally permitted myself to research the truth about the Truth TM , letting go of a fantasy "paradise earth" turned out to be pretty easy.

Dave

• parakeet
    parakeet

If, by some strange and terrible cosmic joke, the dubs turned out to be right, and Armageddon arrived, and God said to me, "I'll give you one last chance. Live in my perfect world populated with nothing but dubs. Or die." I'd say, "Do me a favor, God, and kill me now." SO not kidding.

• parakeet
    parakeet
    scrapmama777: For me, at least I have hope.

So you're willing to turn over your whole life (perhaps your only life) to the dubs and their braindead beliefs in pursuit of an improbable and nebulous idea of future life? You're striking a fool's bargain if you think that's your best option.

If I was not a Witness, I would not believe in anything else. That is sad to me.....

Why not give being a non-dub a try? How do you know it's sad and hopeless? If you do any extensive reading on this site, you'll find that after the initial shock of leaving the dubs wears off, people begin to live again, fully and as human beings, not programmed cultists. Real life doesn't always tickle, but it's real -- that's the point.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I'm a born-in and I never believed the paradise fantasy. For a long time I thought I was missing something, like maybe I just wasn't smart enough to get it or want it.

Sad huh?

Josie

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

I am reading everyone's comments and I am definitely going to print out these pages and read them again and again.

I notice that some of you have had a life outside of JW's. Even when you were IN you had a life outside JW's.

I never did. My whole life was being a Witness. I never thought for myself. I think that's because I was raised a Witness, Perhaps that's why I always tell my experiences on this forum about being a Witness and a missionary and a C.O. It's because I never had anything else. That's all I had. I didn't have a secondary education, or a wife, or children, or a cool hobby. I was a Witness, that's it. I believed all of it, I went to be a missionary because of it. Every day in my assignment, I thought of the paradise, and when my life was sometimes in danger, I believed I would be resurrected if it came to that. When I saw suffering, and I saw a lot of it, I believed all would be cured in the future. I never doubted that Jehovah would fix everything.

All that is gone now. Replacing the hope of everyone on earth being happy forever with, well, some of the people being happy some of the time just doesn't cut it.

I am trying, but it's not easy. I am enjoying your posts though. Thought-provoking.

Thanks,

BF

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

The "future" is an imaginative construct based on our hopes, fears, dreams and sometimes rational insight.

But whatever it is based on, it is IMAGINARY. It doesn't exist anywhere except in your mind, like the concept of happiness.

"Happiness is an imaginary condition, formerly attributed by the living to the dead, now usually attributed by adults to children, and by children to adults."

• Tuesday
    Tuesday
    I guess my point was that when I am dead, what is it going to matter if I spent my life looking forward to something that may or may not happen? I will be dead and not know any different. For me, at least I have hope.

But you would've wasted your life when you could've done better things with it. I said this regarding my current charity work, if I had spent 10 hours a month my entire childhood giving to charity like I did preaching, who knows what I could've done. Even if it was just consoling a nursing home patient in her final days who didn't have anyone else.

If I do wake up from death and find myself living in a paradise earth, then I will know that all is right in the world!

There is the alternative that you're wrong though. It's hard to consider if it's drilled in your head that you're either right and you'll get a reward or you're wrong and there's simply death. There are 33,380 different denominations of just christianity alone. If they're right you could spend eternity in anguish for what you've done in life. Wouldn't it be better to stand on your own two feet instead of saying "I was hoping for a paradise because of something a magazine told me."

Actually, I'm getting too preachy.

I'm not a witness anymore and I'm an atheist, my life is more fufilling now than it ever could have been as a Witness because I believe in humanity.

For Bonafide, you need a hobby stat. Think of something you've wanted to do ever since you were a kid and start doing it. Immediately!

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

What do we have to look forward to?

Christ IN us, the hope of GLORY. (Colossians 1)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit