I'm Craving Head Cheese

by snowbird 155 Replies latest social entertainment

• snowbird
    snowbird

LouBelle, I had to look up biltong - cured, dried meat.

Lookee here everybody.

Little Stewie is PREJUDICED !

I prefer to pass judgment without even giving something a try.

Sylvia

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

LouBelle:

Head cheese has no relation to actual cheese. I'll give you a quick description: take pig parts that are unsellable even in hot dogs or as animal feed. Throw them in a blender with some Jell-O. Press the resulting abomination into a cube shape. Slice and serve to your enemies.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Little Stewie is PREJUDICED!

Don't forget closed minded!

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Press the resulting abomination into a cube shape.

Hey!

Sylvia

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I am even more surprised that somehow this subject continues to live here.

When I worked in a meat department in my high school years I could barely stand to cut and package the stuff. My dog likes dried pig ears - seems like a much better choice for the use of unwanted hog parts.

Jeff

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

We're not going to let this thread die like that, Sylvia, shall we ?

I suggest we leave pâté de tête and pied de veau cool down for a while and turn to these off topic galatians

On a side note, the Gauls are the descendants of the Galatians, aren't they?

If I remember well what I read once (maybe in the aid book), it was the way around. A gang of pugnacious Gauls, always looking for a good war to wage, went to Anatolia to serve a certain king as mercenaries in the area of nowadays Ankara. They settled there and the province became called as Galatia. They must have brought their strife prone spirit along with them since, as you said, Paul calls them foolish and urges them to stop quibbling, being vainglorious and provoking one another. We wonder why Sarko doesn't want them in the EU, they would feel at home in France.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thanks for that clarification, Ali.

So, the area was called Galatia after the Gauls settled there.

I just googled and found out they were actually a Celtic people, feared by the Romans.

No wonder the Apostle Paul had such a time with them!

*giving a Gallic shrug*

LOL.

Sylvia

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

The head cheese available in the stores is okay, with large chunks of meat bound together with gelatain and lightly seasoned. I like it on a sandwich with mustard. The best kind I have ever had was souse meat, made by a guy in North Carolina. The meat was finely shredded and it was heavily seasoned. It had the consistency of a spread, and was good in a sandwich, on crackers, or just by the spoonfull by itself.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Nark -

I found your post on "FORMATICUM" fascinating from the viewpoint of what it could tell us about the pronunciation of vulgar latin in Gaul of the late period.

Formaticum turns to FRomaticum. Is there a hint here that already "TI" in late latin was starting to be pronounced as "J" or "SH"? eg fromaJicum?

This is a topic that has fascinated me since I read about how french is directly desended from the vulgar latin, and how grafiti such as that in Pompeii shows phonetic spellings of how words were being pronounced by then.

I was working in Vaux en Velins near Lyons a few years ago, and was intrigued by how the name of the town morphed from the original latin.

But I just lurves me dead mashed up dead bodies nohow.

HB

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

This thread needs to die. I'm thinking about starting a Bleu Cheese thread...maybe that'll help.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit