I'm Craving Head Cheese

by snowbird 155 Replies latest social entertainment

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I'm frightened to eat it since my heart attack. It's quite fatty.
    Cheers
    Chris

I don't eat it anymore - blood pressure problem.

Sylvia

• ataloa
    ataloa

My aunt had a small grocery store in Texarkana. A customer sent her small child in to get some hog head souse. The little kid came to the counter and asked for some sour hog ass!

Never seen it or smelled it; don't intend to. I do eat chicken livers though.

• snowbird
    snowbird

ROFL at Ataloa!

That is funny.

Sylvia

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

*passes out of floor*

Sylvia...you kill me with what you are willing to eat!!!!!

• snowbird
    snowbird

*waving smelling-salts-scented hankie underneath BabyGirl's nose*

Is ok, BabyGirl.

I don't eat it anymore.

I promise.

Sylvia

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Lol. Wouldn't have expected fromage de tête to be known (especially under the linguistic calque "head cheese") here... ;)

The etymology of cheese is quite interesting: in French fromage derives (through metathesis, form -> from) from (!) late Latin formaticum, pointing to the form rather than what it is made of; cf. Italian formaggio where the metathesis did not occur. Otoh cheese, Käse, queso, queijo, derive from Latin caseum, which probably comes from casa = farm -- although a later attraction of "case" = box is not impossible... Anyway not all cheese is made of milk.

(I was born in Lyon[s] which, on top of being the Roman capital of Gauls, is known -- rightly or wrongly -- as the world capital of gastronomy, especially as far as delicatessen, tripe, giblets and the like are concerned...)

• snowbird
    snowbird

I'm getting better; I only had to look up 1 (one!) word from Narkissos' exposition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calque

Tee hee hee.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

On a side note, the Gauls are the descendants of the Galatians, aren't they?

They with whom the Apostle Paul had to remonstrate due to their fickleness?

Tee hee hee.

Sylvia

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

never heard of it. I could do with some strong chedder now with some biltong.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Personally I will never touch the stuff. I prefer to pass judgment without even giving something a try.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit