I'm Craving Head Cheese

by snowbird 155 Replies latest social entertainment

• dinah
    dinah

I usually just crave Doritos or Pringle's.

And how in the heck can you call it cheese if it doesn't even have any cheese in it?

• snowbird
    snowbird

Tradition, dear Dinah.

Referred to as fromage de tête,tête fromagée (which translates as "cheesy head") or pâté de tête'.
    Louisiana, United States
    The highly seasoned Hog's Head Cheese is very popular as a cold cut or appetizer. It is also something of a staple of soul food, and may also be known as souse meat or simply souse

Tee hee hee.

Sylvia

• Dagney
    Dagney

Lol. I'm going to have to google for sure.

It's hard to wrap my head around "cheese with no cheese."

What exactly is melting into the cornbread?

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    Nothing like putting a slice on a wedge of hot cornbread and watching it melt slowly.
    Yum yum.

You're messing with us, right?

• snowbird
    snowbird

*sigh*

The head cheese is gelatinous, so will dissolve if heated.

Look up the ingredients in Jell-O.

Uh-huh.

Sylvia

• beksbks
    beksbks

Anything like Scrapple?

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Anything like Scrapple?

Leave off the frying part, and that's just about it.

Sylvia

• VIII
    VIII

Head cheese is in fact not a cheese, but meat pieces from the head of a calf or pig (sometimes a sheep or cow), in aspic, with onion, black pepper, allspice, bayleaf, salt and or vinegar. It may also include meat from the feet, tongue and heart. It is usually eaten cold or at room temperature as a luncheon meat. It is sometimes also known as souse meat, particularly if pickled with vinegar.

Historically meat jellies were made of the cleaned (all organs removed) head of the animal, which was simmered to produce stock, a peasant food made since the Middle ages. When cooled, the stock congeals because of the natural gelatin found in the skull. The aspic may need additional gelatin in order to set properly.

I just barfed up my P B & J. No offense to those who like eating heads of calf jello.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    a peasant food made since the Middle ages.

That says it all.

LOL.

Sylvia

• beksbks
    beksbks

Can't do weird meat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit