I'm Craving Head Cheese

by snowbird 155 Replies latest social entertainment

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

fromage derives (through metathesis, form -> from) from (!) late Latin formaticum

Funny, same phenomenon in french caribbean Creole language, where they tend to say froumi for fourmi (ant). Which shows that languages are like water, they are lazy and follow in their course the path of lesser resistance and effort.

Lazy ? wait, not all of them. In a remote french province, Auvergne as they call it, an industrious tribe has resisted fromage for centuries and keeps, somewhat stubbornly, on making FOURME, like fourme d'Ambert, a cylinder shaped blue cheese.

• nelly136
    nelly136

if you have any chewy hunks of pork youre half way to pease puddin!

• snowbird
    snowbird

LOL appreciatively at Aligot!

Sylvia

• beksbks
    beksbks

This is certainly a pleasant and informative thread. Rather like the Fish Fry.

You're a keeper Syl!

• Blithe Freshman
    Blithe Freshman

Gregor

Too much information!

LOL, that is TMI !!!

BF

• oompa
    oompa

i love all those spices but this aspic thing kinda pukes me out....the gelitin stuffy........oompa

lol.....what a blow up thread over head cheese.....lmao

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Stop the madness!!!! This stuff is absolutley disgusting!!! I remember my Dad eating this crap I would gag

• mimimimi
    mimimimi

Snowbird,

I love head cheese. I don't eat it often, but once in a while I get a couple of slices at the deli and enjoy. My mom made great head cheese.

I used to eat pickled pigs feet when I was a kid. It was a treat for us. Don't think I would care to eat it now.

When I was a kid, I loved cold cow tongue sandwiches with mustard. If you grew up with this kind of food, it is not repulsive to you as it is to someone who did not grow up with it. We used to have oxtail soup, too, which I absolutely loved! and neck bones with beans.

Love this thread!

Mimi

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Andouille in French also means a fool, as well as the chitling sausage.

Maybe "weisse wurst" would be better for "FOOL" as it is a sausage made of pulped pig brains, hence the colour.

On the subject of harvested body parts, my Grandmother used to like "elder" which was cooked and sliced cows udder. Salt pepper and vinegar was all she ever put on it. It was a unique honey-comb looking stuff, with white circles of fat scattered around.

And a cheese dish was "poor man's goose" which was grated cheese, vinegar, and lots of pepper with bread and butter.

HB

• Heaven
    Heaven

my Grandmother used to like "elder" which was cooked and sliced cows udder

hamsterbait.... Oh my! A certain vision in my head is forming on this one. I think a new joke JW poster/picture has just been introduced.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit