Show-down with elder at the kingdom hall

by Hobo Ken 116 Replies latest jw friends

• scotsman
    scotsman

Yep, the sands shift and the beach is still there. My old congregation shrank for a few years but is now bigger than ever due to immigration.

Apologies if I've come off as a stuck up east coast w*nker, and good luck on your journeys.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Apologies if I've come off as a stuck up east coast w*nker

No that's ok ;-) xx

• Hobo Ken
    Hobo Ken

bttt

• boyzone
    boyzone

Ronnie HUNTER???? A relative Mark?

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

No.

I used to get asked that all the time...

• iknowall558
    iknowall558

I just listened in to the meeting and Ronnie did the last talk. He was asking why the kingdom hall was the place to be on Memorial night this year. People had to be there apparently to see the stark contrast between JWs and the people they normally rub shoulders with in the world. They had to go away with the impression that "these people", (JWs), are different.

He then went on to relate an experience of a brother talking to someone in the ministry and related how the man said, "You people think you're always right". The brother responded by saying to him, "Do you not think that you're right?" He went on about how good an answer this was and then said, " You know brothers, do you know that that man was wrong in saying that. He was wrong to say that we think we're right." Do you know why he was wrong? Because JWs don't THINK they're right....we KNOW we're right !"

God help us!

• boyzone
    boyzone
    You know brothers, do you know that that man was wrong in saying that. He was wrong to say that we think we're right." Do you know why he was wrong? Because JWs don't THINK they're right....we KNOW we're right !"

Of course they're right! When you're surrounded by those that agree with every word you say, never read anything that contradicts your viewpoint and are never encouraged to research what you're told, then the only conclusion to draw is "we're right!".

The man is delusional, totally delusional.

• besty
    besty

from groupthink on wikipedia:

Groupthink and de-individuation

Cults are also studied by sociologists with regards to groupthink and its effect on deindividuation. The textbook definition states deindividuation as the loss of self-awareness and evaluation apprehension; occurs in group situations that foster anonymity and draw attention away from the individual (Myers, 305)

[edit] Preventing groupthink

According to Irving Janis, decision making groups are not necessarily destined to groupthink. He devised seven ways of preventing groupthink (209-15):

1. Leaders should assign each member the role of “critical evaluator”. This allows each member to freely air objections and doubts.
    2. Higher-ups should not express an opinion when assigning a task to a group.
    3. The organization should set up several independent groups, working on the same problem.
    4. All effective alternatives should be examined.
    5. Each member should discuss the group's ideas with trusted people outside of the group.
    6. The group should invite outside experts into meetings. Group members should be allowed to discuss with and question the outside experts.
    7. At least one group member should be assigned the role of Devil's advocate. This should be a different person for each meeting.

Now count how many of the 7 ways to prevent groupthink the WTS put into practice. <clue - think of a whole number between -1 and 1>

• startingovernow
    startingovernow

Kudos for using a recorder - wish I had thought of that on multiple occasions - or better yet, maybe if I did it even once it would have helped me see how screwed up the JWs I was dealing with really were. Anyway, I'm anxious to hear the judicial case - I imagine it was based on your talking contrary to JW teaching (607 and bowing before Jesus) - evidently what you did not know at the time was that by even having such a conversation with a JW about such things - you were in fact (according to them) teaching false doctrine. Sad, but true.

Please post your JC to YouTube -watching videos there is what got me here, and so you may help other JWs (who wouldn't come to a site like this at this time) leave.

• Hobo Ken
    Hobo Ken

I just wanted a record to personally recall what was said but it soon became clear that the lies and doublespeak was something that others should hear. If this is representative of how elders deal with those who question the teachings then things were a lot worse than I thought.

The judicials are pretty good too.

Once the series of podcasts are completed then I will post them to other sites including youtube if possible.

Matt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit