What are you reading right now?

by keyser soze 57 Replies latest jw friends

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

I am currently re-reading Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. If you saw the movie do not judge the book by it. The book is beautifully written. The movie sucked. ;)

Jackie

• flipper
    flipper

Your thread

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Well I just finished "Angels and Demons", then I moved on to "Maigret and the Man on the Bench", after that I read "Catch the Saint", I started on "The Bat"by Mary Roberts Rinehart but it's not holding my interest so I moved on to a collection of short stories by Agatha Christie. I have a few books in waiting: "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency", a big book of five complete Ellery Queen novels, and couple of other Mary Rinehart mysteries.

I found all those books second hand. I gotta get a library card too.

Josie

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Bound for Glory by Woodie Gutherie.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Well, actually I'm reading Elegant Glassware of the Depression Era. I have a stack of books by my bed, about prion disease and Guinea islanders, a book about Borneo, The Queen of the South, by Perez-Reverte. Mrs. Jones, I like your choice of books - I like to read mysteries. I haven't read Maigret in a few years, have all of Agatha Christie's books (all second hand), Dorothy Sayers, Josephine Tey, Ngaio Marsh, that sort of thing.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Da Vince Code type novel called "The Omega Scroll" by Adrian d'Hage. Its ok.

• four candles
    four candles

Last Shop Standing by Graham Jones. It's about the demise of the record shop industry in Britain,with some very funny stories and anecdotes.

It is a shame that downloading and supermarkets have takeb this away from us,record shops were a havan for me in the 70's. Don't download.....find your nearest record shop and buy from them!!!

• iknowall558
    iknowall558

Stolen Innocence by Elissa Wall. It's about a woman who was born into the Church of the Latter Day Saints and who was forced to get married at 14yrs old to her first cousin. She was trapped but was determined to break free even though she had little knowledge of the outside world. In order to save others she gives compelling evidence in a court case that brings her leader, the prophet, to justice.

The background is so similar to being in the JWs , cant believe the similarities. Am thinking of giving it to my MIL to read to see if it will make her realize what she's a part of. Think she might take it as its not an apostate book....but all the way through, the word Mormon might as well be replaced with JW.

• asilentone
    asilentone

right now? your own damn thread!

• torre
    torre

Hi all,

I'm readin "Disputed truth"(memoirs ll) is the second part of Hans Kung Biography. Is rather interesting. Goes from year 68 to 80s just when his credentials for teaching as a catholic teologist are withdrawn by the Vatican Congregationfor the Doctrine of the Faith. ( Old Inquisition).

On the other hand your post remind me a post I received yesterday from a friend telling me that the CO had asked them in the visit to his congregation in his meeting with the elders, whether they were conducting a family's study, what day it is and which WT publication are they using. All of them lied very well. I hope the same thing is not happening in this subject here.

Regards

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit