What are you reading right now?

by keyser soze 57 Replies latest jw friends

• Gregor
    Gregor

After finishing a couple heavy books I treated myself to a "bag of potato chips" type book, "T is for Trespass". If you have read any of Graftons alphabet series this was one of her better ones.

So now I am thoroughly enjoying "Huckleberry Finn" which I haven't read since I was about 14. I also was thinking about reading some Dickens again. I love the way Dickens writing puts your brain through a pleasant and effective workout.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I have more books for my summer reading list:

The Wild Road by Gabriel King, it's a book about cats supposedly similiar to Watership Down (a great book I should read again)

The Water's Lovely by Ruth Rendell. I love her writing.

Ashenden or The British Agent by W. Somerset Maugham, I don't know this writer but I'm very eager to read his book.

And Clouds of Witness by Dorothy L. Sayers, I can't resist a Lord Peter Wimsey mystery.

Happy reading!

• compound complex
    compound complex

The Cat Who ... series, by Lilian Jackson Braun.

"Yow!" exclaimed KoKo.

CoCo

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

The Bible Unearthed, Israel Finkelstein

Excavating Jesus, John Dominic Crossan

Up in Honey's Room, Elmore Leonard

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

For the last year or so I have been reading books by the same author. My daughter got me started on Jan Burke. I loved them and too often I was laughing out loud.

Then I moved on to John Grisham. Many of his books have been made into great movies - many of which I have. He is one author that must have a lot of control when his books are rewritten for a screenplay. You could practically read from the book. I loved it.

Now I am working my way through Robert Ludlum. I started out with the Bourne Identity books. This author has no control over screenplays. The first book was sort of based on the book. But The Bourne Supremacy and The Bourne Ultimatuum are not even the same stories as the movies. Well I am slowly working my way through his books. I'm on The Holcroft Covenant right now

I also keep a collection of Asimov books that I go through every now and then and the Lord of the Rings books.

• Gregor
    Gregor

LL,

I enjoyed Grisham's "King of Torts" and found it very educational about how the lawsuit industry works and the effects it has on our life.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Gregor Grisham was a lawyer before he started writng books. All his books are based on the law. And they are all as good as The King of Torts. He wrote one book, The Painted House that was non-fiction and not about the law. I didn't like it as much as his fiction. Quite a few of his books have been made into movies that have done very well at the box office.The Firm (1993)

• The Pelican Brief (1993)
    • The Client ((1994)
    • A Time to Kill (1996)
    • The Chamber (1996)
    • The Rainmaker ( (1997)
    • A Painted House (2003) legal non-fiction
    • Runaway Jury (2003)

And another movie is planned for another of his books The Associate supposedly for release in 2012 (I didn't know planning was that far in advance).

If you really liked one you just might enjoy the rest

• snowbird
    snowbird

Lizzie's Story - A Slave Family's Journey to Freedom by Clarice Boswell.

Poignant.

Inspiring.

Nostalgic.

Sylvia

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

Three at one time...Eclipse, Visions of Glory and The Half Blood Prince again.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Always have a few on the go at any one time! Currently:

The Gnostic Scriptures: A New Translation with Annotations and Introductions (Bentley Layton)

God's Soldiers - Adventure, Politics, Intrigue and Power - A History of the Jesuits (Jonathan Wright); and

The Kingdoms of Christ (Peter Bamm)

All very good reading.

For whatever reason, I never read fiction. However, I have heard good things about that cat series that Coco mentions..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit