2009 Drama Synopsis and Comments

by jabberwock 72 Replies latest jw friends

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

blessed are the peaceable. Undeserved kindness is such a blessing, after all

• M.J.
    M.J.

Saw it. It had some witty dialogue (by WT drama standards) as well as humor and I came away impressed in the effort. In fact it reminded me a lot of some church plays I saw as a kid. Seems like they used some "hip" younger people to write out the script rather than the dorkier old Brooklyn dudes. Al's dialogue came off as a rather clever parody of "common objections" for towing the JW line, i.e., things that "apostates" say. By clever I mean that by simply showing a clearly seedy type of individual, "Al", throw up these objections and "excuses" for skipping meetings, etc., it instantly discredits whatever objections he raises without even refuting them. They come off as simply rationalizations to justify the desire to engage in bad behavior rather than anything that might hold a shred of validity. It really did play on a black-and-white mentality, i.e., fear and contempt for the outside world vs. the idealized comfort of being "in the truth". It was very emotional and I must admit, well done. They really scored some emotional points with this one I think. But like I said, take away the JW peculiarities of the dialogue & story and you have a play that is very similar to something one might see at some evangelical church camp.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

MJ, did you see it online or did you attend the assembly??

Wife is coming off the post assembly high right now....but the study sister was on a week vacation, so now she is back and I am sure that she will fire up the wife again for a bit.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Peaches of the Cross will work - haven't you seen all those Vampire films? - lol

• M.J.
    M.J.

ISOT, saw it live. Actually you had to be there at the convention to kind of follow the buildup of indoctrination, topped off by the emotional climax of the drama. They are slick, polished and on top of their game, I'll give them that.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

I was very unmoved by the drama. A few did laugh and received disapproving looks. Large numbers left at the end.

But yes I agree with MJ, it was very slick and designed to be emotive. I thought the scenario that the family had put aside savings to enable and support their children to pioneer was very pointed. But I guess JW families wouldn't be saving for anything else.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Al's dialogue came off as a rather clever parody of "common objections" for towing the JW line, i.e., things that "apostates" say. By clever I mean that by simply showing a clearly seedy type of individual, "Al", throw up these objections and "excuses" for skipping meetings, etc., it instantly discredits whatever objections he raises without even refuting them.

In essence, the Straw Man.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

there are many like Al, right here on JWN

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

there's also the concept of "Part-Time Jehovah's Witnesses", which runs counter to the exclusively-devoted "Full-Time Jehovah's Witnesses" which the Org is looking to develop.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Spike, Did you get them pm I sent you Friday? If so, what did you think?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit