2009 Drama Synopsis and Comments

by jabberwock 72 Replies latest jw friends

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

to NINfan05, it looks like your sister in law has a soft heart. I had the same reaction as her (crying at times) when I went a couple weeks ago. Some parts hit way too close to home.

• Chatelaine
    Chatelaine

My family have just returned from the assembly and the comments about the drama were "it brought a tear to the eye" and how it "hit so close to home", the reason being that I have left the truth, or "faded away" and my younger brother is about to be disfellowshipped. My mum cried the whole way home in the car about what a bad parent she was. Sounds like a really encouraging experience, this drama. Designed to make those with non-practicing children feel like complete crap for being "bad parents" and to make their darling children feel, well, like the devil reincarnate. The only hope us devil children have is thus: sacrifice our own free-will, live hypocrictical lives in a farcical organisation, be completely unfulfilled and hey presto! we will all be happy again. Like the other post, this has made my blood boil. Born into any other "normal" family, my parents would be proud of me and my brother and of being great parents. The extreme representations, the emotional presentation and the absurd ideas are hallmarks of this organisation as a whole and equate to only one thing: brainwashing.

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

Brainwashing is is very controversial, with a range of definitions, as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainwashing bears out.

Sound reasoning (thinking things through) based on logical evidence and spiritual truth is something quite different, I suggest.

• jabberwock
    jabberwock
    My mum cried the whole way home in the car about what a bad parent she was. Sounds like a really encouraging experience, this drama. Designed to make those with non-practicing children feel like complete crap for being "bad parents" and to make their darling children feel, well, like the devil reincarnate.

Chatelaine, I'm sorry that your mother felt that she was a bad parent after having seen the drama, but I must say that the drama did not demonize parents with unbelieving children. Still, I understand why she might have felt so bad about herself after the drama since it ends with the wayward son returning home and continuing as a Witness whereas you and your brother have not returned.

Still, you are right that the drama made use of an "emotional presentation" and "extreme representations".

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

what some call extreme, others call mild

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    what some call extreme, others call mild

What some think of as profound counter points, others call distractionary BS designed to stir the pot. (here's a Kleenex)

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

so glad I dont have to be exposed to such crap as well, would love to hear the corny dialogue quotes though, and thanking the elders for having him sit on a J/C?! , the last D/C I went to was in 1995 and luckily I missed the drama, a few years before there was a drama and the central character was called Randy, the thousands of teen/early 20's were roaring with laughter, when the girl in the drama was saying "RANDY!,RANDY!

• Spike Tassel
    Spike Tassel

So, ATJ, I'm the kettle? If we're both black, the kleenex will need some silvo on it, methinks! Now how's that for drama? I prefer working on my real life, with some levity, as I do here

• Edington
    Edington

Its not new the WTBTS 'trying to keep the kids at home'.

Sometime after I had bought my first home in 1978 ( I was 23) there was a portion of an assembly that said the only reason for a young person to leave home was to get married.

I wasn't married & bro's & sisters in my cong' took it for granted I would obey the direction, sell up & go back to live with my parents!!

Ed

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    So, ATJ, I'm the kettle?

I don't know. Are you?

Sorry, I am being coy, I know what you are implying. I could care less.

I prefer working on my real life, with some levity, as I do here

Yeah, I can tell its a laugh a minute.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit