2009 Drama Synopsis and Comments

by jabberwock 72 Replies latest jw friends

• ziddina
    ziddina

"Al becomes verbally abusive to his girlfriend and to David and unabashedly says that he is only interested in getting ahead whatever the consequences might be...."

"[Al] The WTBTS becomes verbally abusive to [his girlfriend... and to David] R&F Jehovah's Witnesses [crackdown on those not properly 'shunning'], and is unabashedly only interested in getting ahead whatever the consequences might be..."

"David's boss is made to seem demanding and actually says, "Can you work all hours?"

WTBTS: "Can you work 40-50+ hours - FOR FREE?? Oh, and ONLY fifteen minutes for meals - EVER!"

"After a terrible accident, Al begs David to take the blame." After terrible manipulation of bible chronology, WTBTS expects R&F JWs to take the blame for "running ahead" and "predicting" Armageddon would come in 1975...

"Before it became clear that he was involved in any serious wrongdoing he was described as "leaving the truth" when he had been missing meetings and moved to the city. David does express doubt about the end coming soon and says that he doesn't feel comfortable coming to the meetings, but for the most part he seems to be "fading" not abandoning the truth altogether. It seems to me that the things that are involved in "fading" are being clearly described as "leaving the truth" and "leaving Jehovah"...."

Oh, boy, we can see where WTBTS is trying to go with this, can't we??? They haven't thought this thru - why is THAT no surprise - their precious membership numbers will PLUMMET!! [That is, if they haven't already been fudging them... ]

"An offstage judicial committee..." - Still protecting the secretive elite, I see... "The worldly friends think that is a little harsh...." Well, at least SOMEONE has a clue...

"Again, we know that Al is a bad person and that David is merely feeling guilty about the bad things he is up to, so there is no need to be concerned about being judgmental..."

Guess this means they can scratch Al's house off their territory card!!! Just let him 'dye' at Armageddon....

This was the same sort of venue that presented that eternal fable about the young woman who left the JWs only to end up drug addicted and then dead - shot by her junkie boyfriend...

Scare tactics and setting people up to fail if they ever get up the courage to leave...

Zid

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

His father is confused as to why he would leave the family business and worries about how this might affect his goal to pioneer.

Yes, it is so important to set your kids goals, I mean encourage them to set their goals toward pioneer service.

David's new boss makes it clear that he is to work long hours and that the his job should always come first.

Those "worldly" employers are so evil and treacherous. They just warp your senses. Just so we are clear, young people are expected to work long hours- Bethel finally just stopped having them work on Saturdays, so they have been no different.

When being introduced to his coworkers one young woman shamelessly flirts with David and it's clear that Al is purposely trying to set them up.

Everywhere you go in the world, women shamelessly flirt with our good men and men shamelessly flirt with our good women. Basically, if you can work with JW's, you are way better off. What a crock.

Al also discourages David from mentioning anything having to do with religion around his coworkers

People should be discouraged from discussing anything controversial about religion at work. It's supposed to be WORK.

[David] even thanks an elder and other members of a judicial committee that he was brought before.

That just makes me sick- "Thanks for making no time to really help me, but having plenty of time to judicially reprove me. Thanks for recognizing that I am able to kiss asses and for not kicking me out."

David's worldly coworkers ask him about what happens when a Witness breaks the rules.

After David explains that unless you are truly repentant you will be disfellowshipped, the worldly coworkers could have said an answer that is actually a quote from the July Awake:
    "No one should be forced to worship in a way that he finds unacceptable or be made to choose between his beliefs and his family."

Thanks for posting this. I was concerned how my mother would view this, but it really isn't anything but more garbage.
    In my case, it won't really effect me. It is, however, going to be sad for teens and young adults living at home or thinking of college and career.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Uggg... you know when you have a little bit of puke come up in your mouth?

• Rosey
    Rosey

Hi Jabberwock, I haven't seen the drama but you have described it so well I wouldn't need to.

I think that the message they are trying to put across is the fact that the prodigal son DOES actually return. I am df'd and have no contact with my family who are pretty much all witnesses and are all very strict with the shunning issue. Since I have been df'd for almost 10 years now I have more or less come to terms with this although it does still hurt. However I have no bitterness towards my family as I know they truly believe they are doing it out of love to try and win me back to the borg. Since this drama is aimed at jw's I think the borg are trying to send the message to people to be patient in waiting for their families to return.....that like the prodigal son, they too will have some enlightening experience which sends them back to "the truth". I think they are trying to encourage shunning as the only way they can help their families return.

That being said personally I think it has the opposite effect as the more I am shunned the more I am determined I will NEVER have anything to do with a religion which would ever make me choose between it and my family.

Rose x

• awildflower
    awildflower

I'm with Burns dog! Unbelievable, has any of that EVER happened to even one person on this board? But if the guy needed some type of ritual like the JW one to stay out of trouble then he should go back! I don't need a ritual of religion to keep me out of trouble! Thanks for the summary of this drama and I am soooooo grateful I wont see that in person!

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

Good synopsis, now I know what crap they will eat this years convention

• Purza
    Purza

Jabberwok - I just read this thread today on my iPhone. I can't post, but I read the board every day. I read your post and I felt myself getting angry - it is so clear (since I am now on the outside) that the brainwashing and indoctrination is still running strong. It makes me sick! And they buy into it hook, line and sinker. How were you able to sit through it? How is anyone who "knows" about this organization able to sit through this sh*t?

Thank you for posting - it really hits home that the truth is not the truth.

Purza

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Cadellin you raised an excellent point. It certainly appears that the WT Society doesn't want anyone to grow up (and thus outgrow the borg). Stay dependent on the cult!

• dozy
    dozy

( Romans 15:4) . . .For all the things that were written aforetime were written for our instruction, that through our endurance and through the comfort from the Scriptures we might have hope.

With all the numerous bible accounts , why have the one drama as a totally invented skit (albeit loosely based on the prodigal son illustration.) Indeed , why not just have an actual prodigal son re-enactment rather than going "beyond what is written"? Do they think that JWs are just too thick to make an "application" to themselves and need it repackaged and rewritten in a "modern" setting.

• NINfan05
    NINfan05

i have to say, this drama was by far the most bizarre i have ever seen. the whole time my husband and i were just exchanging confused looks and laughing. then this stupid lady with like 7 kids kept giving me dirty looks for laughing it was great. then at the end there was this AWFUL song that was played which made us laugh even more, resulting in more disaproving looks. then after it was all over, i look back at my sister in law and shes back there crying her eyes out. im like wtf?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit