2009 Drama Synopsis and Comments

by jabberwock 72 Replies latest jw friends

• jabberwock
    jabberwock

This year's drama was based on the parable of the prodigal son. The theme was "Your Brother Was Dead and Came to Life". As some have probably heard, it is a modern day story based on that parable, so there are no fancy costumes or fake beards.

The drams itself was very emotional and clearly designed to tug at the heartstrings of the audience. Here is a brief synopsis:

The story centers around David who leaves the family business for a job with his friend Al. His father is confused as to why he would leave the family business and worries about how this might affect his goal to pioneer. His older brother James knows Al and thinks that he is bad association.

Early on David's new boss makes it clear that he is to work long hours and that the his job should always come first. When being introduced to his coworkers one young woman shamelessly flirts with David and it's clear that Al is purposely trying to set them up. Al also discourages David from mentioning anything having to do with religion around his coworkers and gives him advice for how to handle it when counseled by his elders or parents.

Eventually, David and Al move to an apartment in the city and David loses touch with his family. We see scenes where David is out partying with his friends while his family is spending time with a missionary couple discussing their new assignment. In one scene we see David's father up late at night waiting at the window hoping that his son will come home. David's mother is said to cry every night for months after he is gone. His brother James is so angry at him for what he has done to the family.

As they leave a nightclub one evening, David's friend Al insists on driving even though he has had too much to drink. After a terrible accident, Al begs David to take the blame. David refuses and is hauled off by the police along with Al. The girls that they are with survive, but are badly hurt

David eventually calls his father saying that he wants to come home and come back to Jehovah. Some time later we see that David is indeed back at home and taking steps to return to Jehovah. While on the phone he even thanks an elder and other members of a judicial committee that he was brought before.

James though is resentful at how David is being welcomed back. The drama ends with the father counseling James about being forgiving.

Unfortunately, I was unable to include all of the interesting details, funny quotes, and corny dialog, but I think the synopsis should give you a decent understanding of the drama as a whole.

One important thing I think should be mentioned is how much stereotypes of worldly people were reinforced, and extended. The worldly people were mere caricatures. David's boss is made to seem demanding and actually says, "Can you work all hours?" The girl that is interested in David, and who he ends up dating, eventually becomes interested only in his money. She berates David when he is worried about Al drinking and driving, but later lies to the police and says that she was the one who was concerned. Al gives David advice to avoid the scrutiny of his parents and the elders while at the same time plotting to set him up with a worldly girl. Al becomes verbally abusive to his girlfriend and to David and unabashedly says that he is only interested in getting ahead whatever the consequences might be.

Another important aspect of the drama was the way in which it seemed to play on emotion and in particular the ties to family. It seemed as if it was emphasizing avoiding worldly association and goals because of how you might hurt your family rather than anything else. David's father seemed hurt that he wanted to leave the family business. When David left home he told his father the very night he was leaving and gave no warning whatsoever and his parents were left distraught. David's father in particular gave David the benefit of the doubt even when it was clear that he didn't deserve it.

Interestingly, David never explicitly said that he didn't want to serve Jehovah and yet it was understood and even said that he had left Jehovah. Before it became clear that he was involved in any serious wrongdoing he was described as "leaving the truth" when he had been missing meetings and moved to the city. David does express doubt about the end coming soon and says that he doesn't feel comfortable coming to the meetings, but for the most part he seems to be "fading" not abandoning the truth altogether. It seems to me that the things that are involved in "fading" are being clearly described as "leaving the truth" and "leaving Jehovah".

When David decides to come back he makes the call and his family accepts him back willingly. An offstage judicial committee apparently has decided not disfellowship David as he warmly thanks one of the brothers from the committee on the phone for their encouragement. Old family friends come over to welcome him back. This seems to be an idealized version of how these things usually, or can potentially, unfold.

In fact, at one point David's worldly coworkers ask him about what happens when a Witness breaks the rules. His friend Al says you say your sorry and that is it, but David explains that unless you are truly repentant you will be disfellowshipped. The worldly friends think that is a little harsh. Of course, they represent the worldly way of looking at things. David has a similar attitude early on when he is upset with his brother and others for judging Al and later David himself. Again, we know that Al is a bad person and that David is merely feeling guilty about the bad things he is up to, so there is no need to be concerned about being judgmental. Only bad people think of that as a bad thing.

These are just a few of my observations. Let me know what you think, especially if you have seen the drama in person.

jabberwock

• ninja
    ninja

cheers mate....and may your wock jabber for years to come

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

ninja

I wonder if David is going to pioneer to make up for his sins

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Thanks for posting,

IT's 4am and I am tired, but this whole thing is crap and wish I could tear it apart right now but just do not have the energy.

A drama is a drama, hardly real life.

Probably made have the observers there want to

• dozy
    dozy

Interesting analysis. These "modern day" dramas are so corny & obvious that they are embarrassing.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

So, let me get this straight, did the father in the drama slaughter the bull, did he put a ring David's finger and clothe him in the finest robes? Was David accepted back without conditions?

• metatron
    metatron

So, David is welcomed back by facing a judicial committee?

Do any idiot Witnesses realize what a perversion of the Parable that is? They cheerfully decide not to disfellowship?

How loving. How warm. How impressive.

metatron

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I think the world should sue the Washtowel Babble and Crap Slaveholdery for libel. This synopsis is blatantly embellished, as it tells the exact thing that they always use to scare the witlesses away from normal life. What would have happened had the boss been more reasonable, perhaps accepting the worker's religion but using reasoning and logic to shoot the witless "faith" so full of holes that it would be easy to see that it is fallacy. And, I don't think it's normal for the boss to set one up like that--or to drink and drive (some do, but not the majority).

Now, what would have happened had he remained faithful as a witless. Suppose he got in a car accident while out in field circus because the driver only had 3 or 4 hours of sleep per night, because the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger ordered him to work in field circus from 5:30 AM to 1:30 AM, 7 days a week. (Which is even worse than drinking and driving, which some hounders in fact do). And I have been in a car, driven by another witless, where he was even more reckless (not staying on the expressway, deciding at the last second to get off despite clear instruction that the exit was another 1/2 mile ahead, doing 80 MPH at that--a fellow witless who soon after became an assistant hounder!). On top of that, I would rather be around worldly associates than around people that protect and support pedophiles while silencing their victims.

• donuthole
    donuthole

The way JW's practice "reinstatement" is entirely different then the principle of the parable of the prodigal son and the example provided in the Corinthian congregation. It is more in common with concept of discipline/penance practiced in the historical Catholic church. In those days when someone was excommunicated they might have to sit outside the church door for some months being humiliated before they were let back in. Compare this to how it plays out in JW-land, where a DF'd person has to come sit in the back of the Kingdom Hall for 6 months or more, not being talked to, hardly being looked at, until they are reinstated -- and even then they are on restriction. Even if someone is just reproved, giving evidence that they are repentant, they still have restrictions placed upon them as punishment. Consider the fact that the father of the prodigal son had a welcome back feast for the son, with the fact that JW's aren't even allowed to clap when someone is reinstated. The Bible plainly says that Heaven rejoices when a sinner turns around, yet JW's are restricted from showing similar feelings.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

The last assembly I attended a few years ago had a modern day drama. They are the worst. I am glad I don't have to go to this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit