AGAIN with the college bashing

by Pistoff 70 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Mr. "Don't study Computer Science, be a plumber!" David Splane.

He looks like a dumb GB drone, a matter of fact if you take a look at all of GB members they all look dumb.

Cults fear higher education because it might cause critical thinking derived from other information obtained from outside

and indifferent from the hierarchy leaders of the cult.

One has to remember when you belong to a cult you are essentially a devoted slave to the leadership and they want to keep

it this way for obvious reasons.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

"Those who choose college will not get blessings from Jehovah"

NO scripture was presented for this flight of fancy; they are running out of threats that must not be working.

It gets worse; check the new thread about DFing.

• TheICE
    TheICE

This makes me sick, They tell people to rely on jehovah but when someone is in the congregation and needs help NO one helps, then on top of that they tell people that if you go to college to better yourself so you don't have to live in your car that you will not get blessings from jehovah.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

They make the Pharisees look positively saintly.

• TheICE
    TheICE

Yea, when i turned 18 i moved 6 hrs away from home and I did not know anyone, I was going to the hall regular, this sister told me if i ever needed anything just ask. Well after 7 mos my electricity was turned off, I lived in a trailor that was not insulated very well and my bill was like 600 to heat it. Finally I just could not afford it. I would sleep in my car with the heater on. I called that sister just to ask her if i could wash my clothes at her house, her daughter and son-in law lived there to. Well to much of my amazement she said NO. I did not have no heat, no money, barely making it and all i wanted was to wash my clothes so i could go to work with clean clothes and she said no.

People at the kingdom hall put on a good act and say they will help you but when it comes time and someone ask they turn there backs on you, Anyway i went to school and that same sister saw I was missing some meetings because of it and she said I should not go to school if it causes me to miss the meetings because jehovah will provide. Notice anything ironic about her statement?

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Drew Sagan: This subject is a complex one. Is sending your kids off to college right out of high school, no supervision, racking up tens of thousands of dollars in student loan a good idea? It's very debatable. But there are many options.

Send them to junior or community college for the first 2 years. Cost: Next to nothing. And they'll have a chance to figure out what they want to do first, before going off to a big university somewhere. Also, nearly every university has a higher acceptance rate from transfer students than it does from kids right out of high school. It's actually amazing how doors can open when you take advantage of junior college--drastically lower cost, easier classes, and higher acceptance rate from the university you want to transfer to.

• VM44
    VM44

Taking courses at the Community College is the way to go!

You can take care of the first two years of college at a much lower cost that way.

And you can decide if the two years is sufficient or if you want to continue onward for a B.S. degree.

It is what I did, and I have no regrets.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

VM: I did the same, and here I am a few months away from my masters. I think a lot of kids and their families don't even give community college a second thought. Maybe they think its for the lower classes. Well, the rest of us are laughing all the way to the bank. I never paid a dime for my first two years at community college. Also, being a first-generation student meant I had access to all sorts of award and grant money. If no one in your family has been to college, it's surprisingly easy how opportunities open up. Of course, California is very lucky to have the excellent college systems it has (CCC, CSU, UC). But nearly every state has some sort of state community college system.

• Kudra
    Kudra

Community college is the way to go, I agree.

There may be some stigma BUT you get to take the sorta-tough classes like biology, chemistry etc in small intimate settings where you actually LEARN something instead of the 500 - 1000 student lecture halls that are common at universites.

You can mess around with classes, seeing what you really like (I changed major ~4 times in community college) with out wasting a ton of money. Units were $11 at the community college I went to from 1994 to 2000 (yeah I took a while... but I took 2 years off in there).

Also- I am now finishing up a PhD, so it doesn't mean that you'll never get anywhere if you start off at community college.

-K

• pmouse
    pmouse

They are primarily afraid of the 'critical thinking' process taught through higher education. If you begin to use logic and critical thinking paths, it won't take long to figure out that the Witnesses are full of sh**.

It's a precautionary measure on their part to stop the hemorraghing of membership, especially among the young.

-Paula

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit