AGAIN with the college bashing

by Pistoff 70 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Quandry
    Quandry

Will the society choose a NON college RN or lawyer?

Well, this is the point. The point is hypocrisy.

When they want to use the services of a lawyer, doctor, nurse, computer programmer or architect, they would not think of hiring someone who only posessed "spiritual qualifications," would they? No matter how obedient to the Gov. Body any toilet scrubber at Bethel is, he is NOT going to used by the WTS as a doctor, etc. is he? No, they want only the best.

We can see how they only want the top lawyers lately, with all the litigation concerning child abuse they've been dealing with.

It is at the same time obvious to all that they DO NOT practice what they preach, when they invite those that have degrees to work at Bethel and supply them with superior living arrangements, allow them to bring kids, etc.

How come the ones at Bethel with degrees have the "blessing of Jehovah" but the rank and file, the "great unwashed" and under-educated, would not?

• lancelink
    lancelink

Drugs drinking and sex are rampant at colleges.

These things were rampant at the congregation I attended (CL Illinois) for over 20 years with the teenagers and certain elders,,,, what kind of logic do these fools follow?

Look at yourself first before you go bashing someone who wants to better themselves !

• VM44
    VM44
    Those who choose college will not get blessings from Jehovah

Who told the speaker THAT? How does he know who Jehovah will bless or not?

Did Jehovah whisper it in his ear the night before?

The speaker is an IDIOT. Makes statements that are half-truths at best or cannot be proven.

What was the speaker's name? I will tell him what he is right to his face.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    College graduates don't always get jobs in their fields

Neither do high school grads, or even dropouts. Oh, sorry. They don't generally have a "field" at all, do they? At least a degree will increase the chances of someone getting a decent job. As for the drugs, drinking, and sex, I figure if a person can get through high school without becoming a drunk, drug crazed sex addict they should do fine in college.

Of course, one can always pursue a career as a window cleaner. Problem is, it can take it's toll on a guy physically. I had to stop because of knee and back injuries. I knew several others who could no longer do it by the time they were into their forties. One was a recruit, like me. He quit college a year before getting a degree in engineering so he could pioneer and clean windows. By the time he was 40 he could hardly use his squeegee because of injuries to his elbow. It's hard to go back to school in your 40s when you have family responsibilities and have alienated your parents (who might be able to help) because they're "worldly".

I suppose there's always welfare.

W

• VM44
    VM44

Didn't The Watchtower present an "anti-college/educaiton" talk at the LAST convention?

From now on is there going to be an anti-college talk at every convention to be held in the future?

• VM44
    VM44
    If we seek a college education, we are not spiritual minded

Make that "Watchtower" minded. That is what was really meant by the speaker.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Yep, they are doing it again. Saying the same old things about college and expecting different results. With a 30% retention rate among JW children, you'd think it wouldn't be the smartest thing to piss off the remaining 30%. They think that they can stem the tide by using stern words. Well, I just don't think a lot of JW parents are falling for this crap. Their objections to college are all either 1) irrelevant, 2) red herring arguments, or 3) flat-out wrong.

• The usual bashing of motives: those who want great wealth, prestige and seek it in a college education

Really!? Wow. Out of my entire class of undergraduates, I can't think of anyone making more than around 60,000 a year. Is that what you call "great wealth and prestige"? Attending college will not make you rich. For 99% of college graduates, the benefit lies in having a secure, decently-paying job. ANd of course, this isn't anywhere near guaranteed. You still have to actually WORK.

• College graduates don't always get jobs in their fields

Completely irrelevant. A college degree can make you more desireable for lots of job. Also, who says you have to get a job in what you majored in? You can't change your major or career direction because your interests changed? That's an incredibly ignorant argument, by someone who knows nothing about the higher education system.

• Drugs, drinking and sex are "rampant" at colleges

They are "rampant" at dorms in colleges, not "at college." And even then, everyone is responsible for their own actions. I know more JW alcoholics than others who are alcoholics.

• Those who want to "snatch us away" are near if we go to college (Isa 54)

Uh, you mean you'll be required to think for yourself?

• If we seek a college education, we are not spiritual minded

Based on what? Who gave you the authority to judge my motives?

• Those who choose college will not get blessings from Jehovah

Another instance of the GB speaking for Jehovah. On the contrary, I've seen plenty of people go to college, pioneer while doing so, and go to Bethel. So are you saying that those people are exceptions? Or are you saying that they are just sneaking through the organization without any "blessings from Jehovah"? What about Bethelites who were sent to law school? Do they have a "blessings from Jehovah" certificate on their wall next to their degree?

• VM44
    VM44
    What about Bethelites who were sent to law school? Do they have a "blessings from Jehovah" certificate on their wall next to their degree?

Brooklyn Bethel also sent a person to college to, if I recall correctly, finish his engineering degree. The person's name has been mention in this forum.

It appears Bethel needed engineers to work on its construction projects.

The guiding principle is this, "If it is for The Organization then it is OK!"

The Watchtower is incredibly selfish and narcissistic!

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

"Another instance of the GB speaking for Jehovah. On the contrary, I've seen plenty of people go to college, pioneer while doing so, and go to Bethel. So are you saying that those people are exceptions? Or are you saying that they are just sneaking through the organization without any "blessings from Jehovah"? What about Bethelites who were sent to law school? Do they have a "blessings from Jehovah" certificate on their wall next to their degree?"

yeah, I've got this arsehole ex-bethellite who went to universite, then bethel, then out, and is making multi $$$$$. he's still an arsehole, and agreeing with these generalizations! he's an elder and I guess he does not have Jehoba blessin'?

• JeffT
    JeffT

Sounds exactly like the talk given in the Puyallup, WA assembly hall in February 1988, the one that sent me to the library to start researching the WTBS. Our two older children we're doing well in school and I wanted them to coninute that way. Since we left I've seen church announcements that contain congratulation announcements about where the children have been accepted. If you want to grow your flock, its a lot better way to do it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit