AGAIN with the college bashing

by Pistoff 70 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• VM44
    VM44

Here is what Seeker4 posted seven years ago (I hope he does not mind that I am reposting it. It is very appropriate for this thread)

That was exactly the situation for a while. Bethel was sending some Bethelites to college for legal and engineering degrees because of such a great need for them there. I had friends who were among the brothers being sponsered by the WTS for a higher education.
    A ranking Bethelite at the time urged me not to say anything about it. Bethel was trying to keep it under wraps because, as he said, "the brothers and sisters might misunderstand."
  • VM44
    VM44

I don't think the brothers and sisters would misunderstand.

Its simple. College is OK for The Watchtower's purposes, but NOT for yours!

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

It is really just the most ideologically dense and undefendable position. As if one bad reason for avoiding college was not enough, they present a laundry list of bad arguments.

I think most of the rank and file is sick to death of hearing about it.

• Kudra
    Kudra

On a radio piece on NPR talking about current unemployment rates, they report that the unemployment rate is twice as high for those without a college degree.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Great comments, all.

I think it's highly amusing to see themselves shoot others in the foot.

Recently there was a young brother visiting the hall. Apparently his parents have bribed him into not going to the local State uni by paying for his apartment, urging him to go to a community college instead.

This anti-college policy is madness. I wonder if it will get so bad that they will begin the Inquisition for anyone who has a degree...

• llbh
    llbh

I asked two elders who came round to see me recently, who were saying the same things as above, how many college graduates do you personally know? Answer one. Then i asked them whether they had been to college? No they had not. So asked what facts, other than spurious hearsay are they adducing to back up their their thesis- silence. That said it all. It so easy to empirically unpick this argument.

This diatribe against college is about control. pure and simple. And, as has been said before many people who like me listened, stupidly and obediently do, and will lose out. I did eventually obtain a degree at 40, and it has made a difference in many ways.

Regards David

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Why would anyone possibly need an education or any outside instructions in their lives when all that mankind needs

are provided in the bible off of the social behavior morals of the 2000 year old ancient Israelites ?

When men pursue power from the gods , shit happens !

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

• College graduates don't always get jobs in their fields

Yet they still earn more on adverage over those who do not go. This is just a red herring. Even people who get a job "not in their field" statistically speaking do better. Of course you can always pull up plenty of anecdotal evidence to support the opposite, but that's all it is.

• Drugs, drinking and sex are "rampant" at colleges

Then live at home with your parents while you go to school. I know plenty of people that went to college while living at home (or very close to home). Just because you may like to demonize the dorm room enviroment doesn't mean you have to act like there are no alternatives.

This subject is a complex one. Is sending your kids off to college right out of high school, no supervision, racking up tens of thousands of dollars in student loan a good idea? It's very debatable. But there are many options. It's not so black and white. Treating this subject in the way that they do suggest a deep fear of the education itself.

Keep this in mind also. Look at what the Watchtower encourages its youths to do right outside of high-school. PIONEER! They drill it into your head that you cannot loose one precious year out of high school to start pioneering. Yet after a year or so most kids realize they are going nowhere fast. Because there are no paid ministers or ministries these kids can jump into they are basically on a self funded "volunteer" track to nowhere. Eventually they realize they have no future "putting spiritual things first", get dissapointed and take crappy jobs. Not realizing that these kids should be getting educations and good jobs so that they are stable (and regular donating) members should be a priority yet the Watchtower is so mixed up it actually supports activites that create a situation the opposite of what they want.

• llbh
    llbh

As an aside, my oldest son not only graduated with zero debt, he actually had enough money of his own when he graduated to put down a deposit to purchase a house should he have wished to. He did live at home, and commuted 90 mins to college which he also paid for btw. His degree? 1st Class Honours in Medical Biochemistry. To say i was proud on many levels is understating it. Yes it can be done.

What the wts is in of itself untrue.

David

• Heaven
    Heaven

Ok, so let me see... I went to college. Here's my take on this:

a) Do I have great wealth, prestige? Answer: No. That's what high school drop-outs get when they follow their dreams and end up as rock stars!

b) I was unable to find a job in my field. Reply: No. I was hired into the exact field I was studying for.

c) Did I rampantly partake in drugs, drinking, and sex whilst in college? Answer: No. I had a part-time job whilst in college as my parents didn't save for my education. I was too freakin' busy studying, completing assignments, and working! I also wanted a job. There's more rampant sex going on in my backyard right now since it's Spring. The animals, birds, and insects are all getting it 100% more than me. Hey! You Mourning Doves! Get a Room!! Sheesh!

d) Was I 'snatched' away? Answer: No. I'm still here!

e) I am not spiritual minded due to my education. Reply: No. I constantly think of spiritual things and have sought much information on this topic. I continually educate myself on spirituality as well as many other subjects.

Another one for the question thread... What scripture supports the statement "Those who choose college will not get blessings from Jehovah"?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit